Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

August Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 03:00 PM
md350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Silverstone_350z. I was sold with Nissan's original specs. They have done better then what I have expected.

I just can't til I get my DB Touring 6mt.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:26 PM
350zhawaii

WOW what have I missed? I just want to add my two cent just like everyone else. This is my first new car and my first Z. I've been waiting for the chance to buy a Z that I could afford. This is it. I don't care for the numbers much. I'm in it for the car. Don't take me wrong I love numbers. I go to the track in Hawaii every wed, fri. , and sat. with my prelude to improve my time. But guys "Dude, it's a Z" Come on!
Old 06-26-2002, 03:42 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

I think the numbers are right in line with my expectations and not only can I live with these pre-production numbers to keep me going till 3 July, they will keep me going till I take delivery of my Z (or till a more finallized numbers are released).
Old 06-26-2002, 03:44 PM
Todd

Originally posted by TimZ
Can we please stop this whining over a preliminary test on a pre-production car? As mentioned before, Nissan has delivered on 98% of what they originally promised on a $27,000 sportscar. If you decided, as I did, to add options and buy the Touring or Track model and pay $35,000 plus, then it was your decision.
One thing, NISSAN has delivered more than what they PROMISED us! Remember, originally the hp was at 260 and then 280+. 0-60 times where "under 6 seconds". etc....
Old 06-26-2002, 04:09 PM
blackknight

Originally posted by droidekaus

BTW, please don't give me the "under $27,000" ********. I'm paying $35K. [/B]
Maybe, that's why it's soo much heavier. As far as "under $27,000" bs (as you call it), it's a generalization. If people want to spend $35K and by all the extras, they can. If they want to buy the base model. They can. Sorry, if you fee; upset that you overpaid for your model. From the sound of your post you sounded dissappointed that you spent that much.

Last edited by blackknight; 06-26-2002 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:05 PM
ToddLuc

A different perspective...

0-60: 5.4s
1/4 mi: 14.1s
features: priceless

For me, the styling of the 350Z is better than ANY other vehicle I have seen to date. It is the only car I can think of that looks incredible at any angle: front/side/rear/top. Hopefully we will never see the bottom.

The navigation system addresses the technical side of me. Okay, it does more than addresses, it excites me to no end!

In my opinion, this is a sports car. It was never designed to be a muscle car. It did a great job at being a muscle car anyway, but it is a sports car.

The point...

For me, the question is how great it is going to be cornering. I love cornering at very high speeds (appropriate for the turn, of course). The 350Z looks to be an incredible sports car.

My friend just got an S2000. It is so fun to ride in. It is fast (muscle portion); stops fast; and corners so incredibly. The 350Z is supposed to have even better numbers than that, so I, for one, cannot wait.

That said, Nissan HAS delivered on their promise: 0-60: under 6.0s, 1/4 mi: ~14.0s. As everyone else is saying, these are preliminary numbers from one magazine.

Btw, the 3200+ pounds was probably including the drivers weight.

Just my .02,
Todd
Old 06-26-2002, 05:29 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget that the car tested probably wasn't broken in correctly, so you're not going to be able to generate a good launch with new tires and a new clutch.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:34 PM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The article is up on Caranddriver.com:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...?keywords=350Z
Old 06-26-2002, 05:43 PM
Tony Alonso

As a former owner of a '90 300ZX non-turbo and a current owner of one of those "white trash" Mustangs, I have followed this car's development and the Z enthusiast community with great interest. There are those of us in the other camp that are mindful of this car. Please take a look at a couple of posts I made and some of the responses on Corral forum for Mustang followers.

GO TO FULL CORRAL BOARD THREAD FROM 1/9/2002:
To any Team Mustang folks reading this forum -

I was extremely surprised by the announcement Nissan Motor Co. made today at the NAIAS. From
http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pr_...z/pricing.html

2003 Nissan 350Z Pricing

BASE MODEL: 350Z 6MT 3.5L DOHC 24-valve V6, CVTCS, Dual outlet exhaust, drive-by-wire throttle, carbon-fiber driveshaft, 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels, vented front and rear disc brakes with ABS, Electronic Brake force Distribution, Nissan Direct Ignition System (NDIS), automatic temperature control, 160-watt AM/FM/CD with 6 speakers, power windows/door locks and mirrors, remote keyless entry, vehicle security system, leather steering wheel and shifter boot (NOTE: no cruise control, limited slip differential, or aluminum pedals)

$26,269

While the final specs are not available quite yet, this might be a 3150lb car with 280+hp and 260+ft-lb. This post is not meant to inflame people or knock Mustangs (I've owned 3 so far since 1995 - see my previous musings below), but for those who "cross over" to other performance vehicle types, it is my opinion that the SN-95 feature car, Mustang Mach 1, MUST have a price/performance advantage over this car. I am curious to see what anyone in the department thinks. I welcome any comments.

Thanks!

----------- previously posted thread & e-mail sent to Art Hyde -----------
Normally, I don't do this, but I feel so compelled after looking more and more at the Nissan 350Z that is supposed to be coming out next July. Would you take a look at my input? I know your job is a challenge, but I appreciate the Ford employees who are reading the Stangnet website's forum. The text below is copied from a thread I submitted today. Thanks for reading.

Tony Alonso
Cincinnati, OH
36 Year-Old Owner of '00 GT (formerly '94 GT and '96 SVT Cobra)

After all this great discussion, more reflections on my current performance car experience in the SN-95 Mustang line ('94 GT, '96 SVT Cobra, '00 GT), and looking at photos of the original Mach 1, I've revised my answers to the questions posed. See the 'before' (06-24-01 11:35 PM) and 'after' responses:

Assuming the MACH1 falls between a GT and a Cobra in price AND performance:

HINT (before): Target price - $25,000
HINT (after) : Target price - $26,000

1. Does this representation deliver a modern interpretation of MACH1? -

before: YES
after : YES, assuming the following; a) chin spoiler is deeper and the black honeycomb decklid applique is available, b) the only colors offered are from the "grabber" family, c) the Magnum wheels are designed so that the brakes aren't completely hidden from plain view (I acutally like the Bullitt wheels better)

2. Does the performance leather interior deliver the essence of MACH1? -

after : YES, although I would prefer cloth seats to reduce weight and cost

3. Should we use the lowered performance suspension and brakes from the Bullitt? -

after : NO on the suspension (keep costs lower since many consider the car's primary duty to be a drag racer), YES on the brakes (more engine power needs more brake)

4. Should we have a distinctive exhaust note? -

before: YES, somewhat more agressive than the standard GT
after : YES, but make whatever system is used to achieve this as optional if the unit cost would be more than $400.00

5. Would you buy it if we built it? -

after : MAYBE, because price and availability are going to dictate my choice now (see other comments below)

6. Your age (optional). - 36

OTHER COMMENTS

before: "If you could make this a more "customizable" Mustang in terms of leather or cloth seating, standard or Mach stereo, gear ratios, and manual/auto transmission, you will have hit on the combo that many enthusiasts have been pleading for in this Mustang. Since the Cobra continues to move upmarket, I would consider this a more accessible, reasonably priced performance vehicle. After driving and really enjoying the 2000 GT and having previsouly owned a '96 Cobra, I believe a Mustang that can deliver the motor of the Cobra WITHOUT the price of the Cobra should be very successful. This is an even better play on Mustang heritage than the Bullitt. I'll be waiting for mine in 2002..."

after: "If you keep the price of this car VERY close (+/- $200.00) to $26,000 and emphasize the acceleration and braking aspects, you will hit on the combo that many enthusiasts have been pleading for in this Mustang platform. I would be more willing to buy this car on the price/performance basis by dumping leather seating and lowered suspension but keeping the stronger brakes and lowering curb weight. As a performance enthusiast, I always want more, but cost on this Mustang platform is a big factor now. I love being part of the Mustang club, but $32,000 Terminator Cobras with dealer markups, $26,000 Bullitts and their requisite markups, and the rumored 4.0L engine in the S197 Mustang are a de-emphasis of the affordable performance character of a Mustang. Next July, a new Nissan 350Z will debut that is supposed to be in the under $30,000 price range. Although this car's "heritage" is in a different class (V-6, lightweight 2-seater, Japanese), the new Z's mission will be to offer affordable performance as well (3.5L V-6 producing near 300hp with a 3200lb curb weight). I previously owned a 1990 300ZX and found it to be a "sophisticated" performance car, as compared to the "rough and ready" nature of Mustang. But on a pure price/performance basis, it cost much more (non-turbos around $27,300, turbos $35,000) as compared to the LXs and GTs ($14,000-$17,000) of the time. Soon, this will not be the case if the Mach 1 prices out in the $28,000 - $30,000 range.

I feel very passionate about the Mustang experience I've had between 1995 and now. I still believe that a special (not limited) edition Mach 1 Mustang with the motor of the Cobra WITHOUT the price of the current Cobras can be very successful. Please stay true to the "affordable performance for the masses" character of this brand. Finally, please don't give the performance enthusiasts a 3600 lb, 4.0L supercharged S197 Mustang...ok?"

Thanks for reading again!
GO TO FULL CORRAL BOARD THREAD FROM 6/15/2002:
I am not bashing either car or disputing each one's "heritage" (V8 v. V6) and "target market", but I am curious as to people's opinions. Someone shot some video of the production-level 350Z which will start hitting the streets in about 2-3 months. On a price/performance basis only, I suspect we will see some close drag strip times for the GT ($24,000) and Mach 1 ($29000). The current unconfirmed specs are as follows -

Horsepower is listed at 287 @ 6200 RPM
Torque is listed at 274 @ 4800 RPM
Weight is listed at 3188 lbs
There is a 53/47 weight distribution.
The compression ratio is 10.3:1
The bore X stroke is 95.5mm X 81.4

Gear Ratios_____ M6 / A5

1st__________ 3.794 / 3.540
2nd__________ 2.324 / 2.264
3rd__________ 1.624 / 1.472
4th__________ 1.271 / 1.000
5th _________ 1.000 / 0.834
6th_________ 0.794 / ----
Reverse_____ 3.446 / 2.370
Final Drive___ 3.538 / 3.357

The 0-60 has been tested and confirmed at 5.5 seconds.

By the way, the second of five possible models of the Z is around $28200. It is better equipped than the Mustang (yes, I know this appeals to techno-freaks - DVD/nav, Homelink transmitter, traction control)

Take a look at these 350Z videos from my350z.com and listen to the engine noises.

Comments?

Tony Alonso
'00 GT Coupe
- fake '01 hood scoop
- Bullitt wheels

Formerly,
'87 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
'90 Mitsubishi Eclipse Non-Turbo and Turbo
'90 Nissan 300ZX
'95 Dodge Ram Sport
'95 Dodge Stratus
'94 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
'96 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe
As has been previously written in other posts, car stats have much variability. Until you have actually driven the car, the numbers are guides rather than absolutes. I like the driving feel of the stock Mustang for around town. I like the "hertiage", but for pure non-straight line performance, it is not good enough to be fully competitive. Many Mustang enthusiasts go the aftermarket route to build up their cars, adding from $1000 or more to get to something the Z will already have designed and built into its capabilities. Further, I think it is great Nissan appears to be coming out with a lot of aftermarket support right off the bat. You folks are getting a fantastic performance car for the money.

I just might convert, if financial circumstances permit.

Tony A.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 06-26-2002 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:00 PM
RxO

Default Re: Re: Magazine Releases:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dddd
Originally posted by RxO
For some unknown reason some areas of the world get special treatment on magazine delivery. Yesterday I received a japanese magazine for August. It has the Fairlady specs. that are supposed to remain stum until 29-06. But here it is! [/QUOTe

Please tell us what the weight is of the Japanese Fairlady.
Lightest is 1540, Heaviest is 1560
Old 06-26-2002, 06:12 PM
keepupp

I dont know if you were all listening, but ethan84ae just told you that the entire article we are arguing about has been posted on C and D's website. Check it out...I did.....I didnt read anywhere where ity said it was a pre-production...or anything other than what the public would see in the end. It is interesting...they praise it in the article..then they look at it in perspective and there arent too many real nice comments about it..one editor said at $35k he would probably opt for the Vette for a little more. Apparently the July 3rd embargo couldnt wait i guess!
Old 06-26-2002, 06:48 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Default Re: Re: Re: Magazine Releases:

Originally posted by RxO

Lightest is 1540, Heaviest is 1560
1540Kg = 3395 Lbs.

1560Kg = 3439 Lbs.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:51 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by keepupp
then they look at it in perspective and there arent too many real nice comments about it..one editor said at $35k he would probably opt for the Vette for a little more. Apparently the July 3rd embargo couldnt wait i guess!
I was reading the Counterpoint... they didn't have nice things to say about it.. what's up on their as*?
Old 06-26-2002, 07:02 PM
keepupp

I dont see how the perfromance specs could be true! The Z has comparable performance with a lowly Mustang GT which is even heavier and has 27 less horses (although about 35-40 more lb/ft torque). Even so, I will still anxiously await my car and hope that there was either something wrong with the test car or they had a man with no legs driving it to a 14.1.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:13 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Default Re: NOPE

Originally posted by chudc
This is a BOGUS generate hype email -- I just got an email from C&D telling me that the August issue has NOT been released. They would not comment on the Z either. Just wait until the thing is out....soon enough, soon enough.
The article is on their web site already. It is TRUE...
Old 06-26-2002, 07:16 PM
keepupp

Hey, without using the link we were given I tried to find the article by going directly to the C and D website and I couldnt find the article...lets hope its a fake (would be a professional fake)
Old 06-26-2002, 07:17 PM
bigone

Originally posted by droidekaus
I'm happy for all of you that are satisfied with these results. Really, I am, although I am not. I can't believe I waited 6 months to find out that the Z, a "sports car", runs neck and neck with a stock, bi-turbo, AWD, 250HP/258TRQ Audi S4 sedan that weighs damn near 3600 lbs.

.88Gs... WOOPEE!!! What's the slalom speed? 60 MPH?

BTW, please don't give me the "under $27,000" ********. I'm paying $35K.
I completely agree with droidekaus. I am tired of hearing "under $27k", I too ordered a touring and am paying $35k. I am not really feeling the price-performace value concept right now. For a few $k more I could be back into a C5. All I can hope for is other tests reveal better numbers. I am happy that many of you seem to be satisfied with these numbers, but I am not.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:26 PM
iMR2

keepupp
just type in 350z in the Car&Driver search box and you'll see it article listed.

Quick Reply: August Car & Driver