Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

8k miles, 2nd tranny, 5th gear grind, talked to dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 05:52 AM
bknezevic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8k miles, 2nd tranny, 5th gear grind, talked to dealer

Yea, this is when the tranny is warm and it does it every time now. Started happening about a week ago and just got progressively worse really fast!

Talked to the dealer I have brought the car into to get work on before and they said to bring it in and that since its the second tranny that they have to call nissan to find out what to do.

Called another dealer with a bigger inventory, just farther away, and the guy said that he thinks they can just adjust the "shift gate" and it should be fine. I told him that I frequent 350Z forums on the internet and every time I heard of a tranny problem the whole thing was replaced. He said that if there is no damage to the synchros then they don't replace it, but look into ways of adjusting things to make it work.

Any thoughts? Should I go to the normal dealership or the second one I called?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Zexy

And you have an 05??? 8k miles and 2 trannys??

It's your driving. Sell your Z and buy a Sentra.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:44 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd try the origional dealer first.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Z33Concept

Originally Posted by Zexy
And you have an 05??? 8k miles and 2 trannys??

It's your driving. Sell your Z and buy a Sentra.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Big-Foot

Third post from a long-time lurker here...

It's the tranny issues that I am reading about that have me sitting on the fence in regard to purchasing a 350Z. I would also chose a used one because I don't want to have to absorb that first year depreciation myself.

BTW - unless I missed something in the original post - it was not HIS 2nd tranny problem in 8,000 miles, but the 2nd tranny that the dealer needed to talk with Nissan about.

Regards - Randy
Old 07-21-2005, 10:52 AM
seraphimshift

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Third post from a long-time lurker here...

It's the tranny issues that I am reading about that have me sitting on the fence in regard to purchasing a 350Z. I would also chose a used one because I don't want to have to absorb that first year depreciation myself.

Regards - Randy
I second that, uggghh and its an 05! what's the deal nissan, when will the heart break end???
Old 07-21-2005, 10:54 AM
seraphimshift

I don't know if anyone has posted on this, but Why doesn't the g35 have a sh*ty tranny? If its doesn't would an g35 Trans marry up to the 350? just a thought
Old 07-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Qbrozen

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
BTW - unless I missed something in the original post - it was not HIS 2nd tranny problem in 8,000 miles, but the 2nd tranny that the dealer needed to talk with Nissan about.
I'm pretty sure its HIS 2nd tranny. I can see your confusion, but try reading it with corrected punctuation and grammar (somewhat):

Talked to the dealer I brought the car into to get worked on before, and they said to bring it in and that, since its the second tranny, they have to call nissan to find out what to do.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:35 PM
bknezevic

Originally Posted by Qbrozen
I'm pretty sure its HIS 2nd tranny. I can see your confusion, but try reading it with corrected punctuation and grammar (somewhat):

Talked to the dealer I brought the car into to get worked on before, and they said to bring it in and that, since its the second tranny, they have to call nissan to find out what to do.
I got the 2nd tranny when the car had 210 miles on it...thats right...210 miles. So technically its my first tranny. Mine was "bad" right out of the gate.

Go-go gadget broken new car.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Zexy

210 MILES??? Hahahahaha. Like i'm saying. It's got to be the driving.

Can you explain your driving techniques w/ honesty?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:49 AM
bknezevic

Originally Posted by Zexy
210 MILES??? Hahahahaha. Like i'm saying. It's got to be the driving.

Can you explain your driving techniques w/ honesty?
Yea, I let the car idle on start until the oil pressure drops to around 50psi with occasionally revs to 90psi. Then I put the car in 2nd gear and roll down my slightly downhill driveway and drive away, shifting to 3rd gear until I get out of my neighborhood...never letting the oil pressure rise above 90psi (around 2.5k rpm).

I avoid 2nd gear for about 5-6 minutes of driving, sometimes even more. I never rev the engine to where the oil pressure rises above 90psi and thats long after the water in the system is at operating temp. I shift all the gears very slowly for at least 10 minutes to get the tranny warmed up nicely.

When I drive the car, I drive the car. I redline it, shift fast as crap, and gun it around corners if I feel like it. I do this at least once when I drive the car...especially when I'm passing somebody.

The only gear that is grinding is 5th gear...I rarely get to the speeds that require a 5th gear shift when driving the car to its potential (roughly 110mph).

I can make 5th gear grind now anytime I want by simply having the car in 2nd or 3rd gear and flooring it to 4-5k rpm and then shifting into 5th. It will grind if I shift spiritedly or gently. The only way I can avoid it is if I let the rpm's drop to 2k or below and then rev the engine to match the speed of teh car and slide it into 5th.

To be totally honest, I can avoid the 5th gear grind by shifting very slowly into it at lower rpms or avoid going from 2-5 3-5 or 4-5 at 110mph (which I've done a few times for kicks).

To be quite frank, I find it ridiculous to think this is based on my driving habits as no other gear is doing this except 2nd which everybody has if you lazily shift into it when the car is cold.

I know my car and I baby it until everything gets nice and warm/lubed before I punch it.

I didn't by a sports car to drive it like a cadillac...anybody that does should rethink their purchase.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:34 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally Posted by bknezevic
When I drive the car, I drive the car. I redline it, shift fast as crap, and gun it around corners if I feel like it. I do this at least once when I drive the car...especially when I'm passing somebody.
there's your problem! you can't just redline it and shift fast as crap. You have to baby it, take it out of the gear, and wait 0.45ms, and then shift to another gear.. you will not grind if you follow the above instruction.. I think it's in the manual somewhere

j/k.. I agree that the car is made to be driven. That means you can shift however fast you want, but due to an inferior tranny made by Nissan, we'll have to slow it down a little so it can get into proper gear..

I'm taking my car in Monday to have my tranny look at.. it's having the same issue (2nd / 3rd gear grinding) and also making a swooshing sound when upshifting..
Old 07-22-2005, 06:38 AM
bknezevic

To be clear about the 210 miles replacement of my first tranny...I brought the car in after hearing the loud chatter from the gearbox thinking it was not normal. The tech took the car out for a spin with me and said the whole tranny needed to be replaced. I barely drove the car and it was in the break-in period so it wasn't my driving habits...thanks for your input though. I'm sure it will do me a lot of good.

Oh, when I got the car back the gearbox chatter was, of course, still there. It didn't need to be replaced, but they did it anyways. Kthxbye.