Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

.88 skid pad rating

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 09:23 AM
roberto350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think you can put fat ol tires on anything and get a good skidpad, no? Conversely, maybe the tires tested on the Z suck. Some guys were saying that the stock tires are worth complaining about, there could be some merit to this complaint with poor g #'s.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:09 AM
iMR2

exsilio - heirin lies the falicy.

my point is that if your skid pad score sucks AND your have excessive body roll/balance issues...ie inertia...then your slalom score will suck. So you CANT have a good slalom score if you skipad rating sucks...that is what I am trying to say.
raceboy makes the point clear in his post above.

Last edited by iMR2; 06-27-2002 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:05 PM
RADZ
Charter Member #39

Default I agree with exsilio

As the thread progressed you got away from what he initially said:

Skid pad rating is typically indicative of how the car will do in the slalom.

The keyword being TYPICALLY. I challenge anybody to argue with that. MOST cars that do poorly in the skid pad do poorly in the slalom. The few exceptions that raceboy refers to are of very light cars that perform poorly on the skid pad but well on the slalom.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:04 PM
iMR2

as the thread progressed exisilio made his point clearer by taking out the ambiguity of "typically".
what's important here is exsilio understands this all.
Old 06-30-2002, 05:34 PM
Flyingscot

exsilio,

I just read this thread (shows you how far i'm behind).

I don't think you were ever going to make any more ground here. I'm afraid raceboy's explanation is the closest to the world we know and love.

I think the Skidpad # will increase slightly, when others test it. Anything in the .92g area will be okay because replacement tires have a lot to do with the Skidpad rating. So it's an easier fix.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the Slalom number. If this sucks then I will probably lose all faith in Nissan as a performance car manufacturer. They did horrible things to their other domestic heritage, namely the Sentra SE-R, and I still haven't got over that let down. My friend owns one and I can tell you, it's not competitive. Cars like the Ford Focus SVT and Mazda MP3 turbo and VW Golf 1.8T etc, will be much more popular. But, again everyone said how good it was for the money. Bargain basement is no place for a manufacturer to aim for.

Wow, I sound so bloody opinionated don't I. BTW: Don't answer that!

Problem is, the SE-R has not caught the attention of the US buying public (or even SE-R enthusiasts) so I can't be too far off base. One of the problems with the SE-R was that it shared components with lesser models. The engine for instance. One of the top design goals: Make it quiet (for the Altima). Now while this is a great goal for the Altima, it's not such a good one for the SE-R. Let's hope the 350Z does fall into the same trap.

Last edited by Flyingscot; 06-30-2002 at 05:48 PM.