Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

.88 skid pad rating

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 07:34 AM
MP350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .88 skid pad rating

I must admit, this is concerning me as well. I was told at the San Antonio prevue event that the 350Z's handling would be quite exceptional. And, well..... .88g would not qualify as exceptional. My Mazda MP3 has been recorded at .90g or .91g by all the major auto mags, most recently in the high speed handling test in Road and Track's June Issue. My MP3, despite it's lack of power, is a blast to drive. And I am expecting my 350 to eclipse my MP3's fun factor. And for about 17K more, it had better. Mind you, I am not saying that the I think the MP3 is better than the 350 in any way. I am just saying that the .88 number surprises me. Since the C&D test car was a pre-production model, I am hoping those last minute suspension tweaks I was told was causing the delivery delays are actually happening, and that they will greatly improve that number. Jman, are you at liberty to discuss anything about this and put my mind at ease?
Old 06-26-2002, 07:50 AM
Flyingscot

Well, MP350Z,

I think JmanZ is probably under a table somewhere shouting
"The peasants are revolting. Make it stop. Make the pain go away." Right now, it's a curse to have final stats! Am I right?
Old 06-26-2002, 08:16 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

if he can scan the front cover, why can't he scan the article?

if the person that has the magazine is reading this, please scan the article so we can see what c&d has to say about it.

If you can only scan one page, scan the stats page. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2002, 08:18 AM
kroams

I am sure its legit. He emailed me a higher-res copy of the cover and its 100% real. I have never seen that picture before of a blue track 350Z. Regarding the guy who said Car and Driver never has anything going into the white area is incorrect and I found several of my past issues with graphics going into the white border area. Basically he just got it a week eariler than usual. I often receive Car and Driver during the first week of a new month. I do hope some of the other magazines pull some better skidpad and 1/4 times or the final production car improves slightly. I remember reading about test drives of pre-production G35's in Car and Driver and things were greatly improved when they did the first production test drives.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:37 AM
The Apple

I could care less about the skidpad rating. The only thing that tests in my opinion is the car's tires. What I'd like to know is the slolam speed, that's a test that to me shows a lot more about how well a car handles.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:10 AM
joeandcarol2

Its simple physics... those cars in the 0.9 range are lighter. Its easier for them to achieve those accelerations... It takes magic tricks for a 3300 pound vehicle to do it..
By the way the speed in the turn varies with the square root of the g number... so there is very little speed difference between 0.88 and 0.92 for instance.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:19 AM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by exsilio
skid pad rating is typically indicitive of how the car will do in the slalom.
Not to flame you but that statement is quite false. I know you said "typically" but I think the numbers are totally disconnected. The slalom is a measure of a cars transient response; it's ability to change direction. The skidpad number is a measure of a car's steady state cornering capability. Some cars are wicked fast in the slalom and only pull marginal skidpad numbers and the converse is true as well. The skidpad is also only relevant for that radius of turn only. While car X might pull more lateral G's on a 300' skidpad, the opposite may be true on a 150' skidpad.

Weight also has no bearing. A 3200 lb 911 GT2 has no difficulty pulling 1g.

Last edited by raceboy; 06-27-2002 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:50 AM
iMR2

the bold is describing a tool which supports raceboy's explaination.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:55 AM
PistolPete

The skidpad test does not represent the balance of the car, which helps in a slalom test. Lateral grip does have a lot to do with fast slalom numbers, but the suspension plays a large part also.

Of course, chevy can get just shy of 1g out of a stock C5, which weighs in about the same. I expect this number will be shown to be higher on production models.

This does lead in to a worry I do have, and that is traction. Many other front engine / rear drive cars have wider tires to afford traction, and even then light up the tires on hard launches. It is not uncommon for a 300hp car to light up 275s, and we have a slimmer tire in the rear. The vette gets impressive skidpad numbers with very wide tires, which also give great launches from a stop. Anyone know how wide we can go on the Z?
Old 06-27-2002, 08:03 AM
The Apple

Exsilio, what you just posted only supports Raceboy's argument more.

Last edited by The Apple; 06-27-2002 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:12 AM
raceboy
Banned

Couldn't have said it better guys; thanks!!
Old 06-27-2002, 08:30 AM
SunsetZ

Default Polar moment of inertia

Polar moment of inertia is what really tells you how the handling and fun to drive factor are. This shows how much of the cars weight is closer to the center of the vehicle. Take a bar bell with two weights on the extreme ends. As you move the mass closer to the center of the bar, the easier it is to change direction. If they were able to have a great deal of the weight moved toward the center, it will be very lively to drive. I mentioned this to the editor of Sport Z magazine. Hopefully they will follow up and give us a comparative rating on the polar moment of inertia in the Z vs. S2000 etc.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:38 AM
dvlad

ok, does anyone know what the temp of the track was? If the Bridgestones weren't heated up properly, or the track was cool, that could account for .03 g's.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:40 AM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by exsilio
While some cars are able to hold on to the road well (and have a high skidpad rating), they may have trouble manuevering because body roll or improper balance.
This means the exact opposite of a correlation between skidpad performance and slalom performance
Old 06-27-2002, 09:10 AM
raceboy
Banned

That's the point we are trying to make. Even if the skidpad numbers SUCK, you CAN have a fast slalom time. A number of front wheel drive cars post skidpad numbers of around .80g and yeat beat cars through the slalom that post .90g or higher. Look at Miata's or MR2 Spyders at autocrosses. They routinely beat cars that post much higher skidpad numbers because the ability to change directions quickly is not related to outright grip.

Quick Reply: .88 skid pad rating