Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's holding out for a Z 'till NISMO parts are available through the dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 09:05 AM
cabalisticfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's holding out for a Z 'till NISMO parts are available through the dealers?

I'm really starting to think that I may continue to hold off on my Z purchase until I can buy one with some/many/all NISMO parts installed at delivery. Since most of the NISMO stuff is reportedly going to be backed by the full Nissan warranty if installed at delivery I find it very appealing to hold out a little longer. Think base or enthusiast + NISMO wheels, suspension, LSD, exhaust, etc, etc. The only thing missing would be the brakes that the track model gets but going aftermarket for brakes won't be a big deal. Anyone else thinking of holding out too?

Another point to consider is that you will likely have a good deal of negotiating ability on the price of the NISMO parts when purchasing the car. I've found sales depts of other dealers willing to do cost + install on (for example the TRD supercharger) since I was already buying a Tacoma from them (which they were already discounting to $500 over invoice). The sales guys were mainly concerned with moving the vehicle so getting the sales manager to do cost on add-on parts was easy. I see serious potential to have a car nicely customized for a very reasonable price. Thoughts?
Old 12-10-2002, 10:20 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well all I can think of is the wonderful options offered from lexus. their "Ltuned" packages I think. boy will nissan offer suspension, intake and exhaust for 8 grand??? yeah I hope they make deals there too.

anyway, Ive also never heard the part about warrenty being offered only if installed at delivery. actually Ive heard that no extended warrenty will be offered; but ive heard more often the other way, just not the clause about delivery.

owell its only a 3 year warrenty anyway. by the time nismo comes around Ill have owned my car for almost a year maybe, keep saving and doing non warrenty voiding mods, and at 3 years, Ill go true aftermarket where they dont dumb down the power to keep things safe to ensure they dont have to replace blown engines.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:37 AM
cabalisticfire

The warranty statements that I made are based on this article: http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=04792399

It may not be acurate but it would be consistent with what Toyota does and I assume Lexus too since they're the same. Basically, the NISMO parts retain the full original warranty if dealer installed or 1 year/12,000 miles if installed by the end user. It does not state what warranty will be given if someone who has owned the car for a year has the dealer install the parts. Will it be 1yr/12,000 or the balance of the orig fact warranty?

As for cost, many NISMO prices are already known and they're not really that high. When you start to consider that the dealer installed parts will be warrantied at that price it really starts to look attractive. And when you add the possibility of price negotiation on the parts that will offset the cost of the dealer install they look better. Even more enticing is the fact that the NISMO parts will likely retain a higher resale value than brand X aftermarket parts since they're OEM.

Ultimately, It has the potential of being another way to get to the Track model's level of performance or, perhaps, some will choose a Track and add NISMO suspension. This all seems very exciting to me.

Last edited by cabalisticfire; 12-10-2002 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:44 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm I thought nismo prices were INSANE. 1500$ for suspension? 2grand for exhaust? those are really high IMO. but that is in part due to importing them and the weak dollar.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:54 AM
Brad4rdHay

Most bakced under warrenty....all I can say is that a source was telling me that the spoiler may be delayed for the U.S. as they are still doing warrenty tests on it. I guess it could cause extra stress on the rear hatch but a spoiler?...?

Also, remember, in the press release, NIMSO said that they will have off-road only parts.

Why not get your Z now, install the NISMO parts when tey come out. I dont know why you would wait. Plus, if you order now, you wont get the car for a few months.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:20 AM
cabalisticfire

I'm not in a big hurry for a new car. I'm in an S4 right now that's midly modded but still faster than a stock Z (in a straight line anyway) so I'm not hurtin'. I have the 1st model year (US anyway) of the S4 and there's definiely some major things that were fixed in the 2nd year of prod. I think that's the way with most cars so I'm not in a hurry to be the 1st on the block with the Z.

$1500 is not cheap for springs and shocks but, we're paying inflated prices due to having to buy small shipments comming from Japan. I don't expect the prices to drop a lot but maybe a little especially considering the cost of shipping individual components.

The press releases from NISMO cleary indicate (unless they've been creatively re-worded by the automotive press) that they indent to offer a full range of performance parts through the dealers and that they indend to compete with the aftermarket. I know we're going to seem some components offered as off road only, with no warranty but I'm really hoping that the majority will be fully backed.

I don't really think that the NISMO parts will be the be all/end all of Z tuning, just another nice option. Having an Audi now and knowing what happens when a car (in my case the turbos) starts to become problematic in some areas and how bad the dealers get about warranty work, it might be something to consider. The WRX owners are having the same problem with their trannys. Guys go in with a bad tranny and an aftermarket intake installed and all of the sudden they're in a warranty battle 'cause Subaru is trying to say the intake is indicative of agressive/abusive driving and that's the cause of the tranny failure (everyone knows the WRX tranny is very weak and poorly matched to the car). Things like a warrantied NISMO ECU suddenly become very valuable when you throw a rod or explode a rear end and Nissan has nothing to throw up in your face. For those planning to hang turbos and superchargers off their car this is of little value but for others it's a huge benefit.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:57 PM
cabalisticfire

Originally posted by agustuss
The fact that Nissan is offering ANY kind of Nismo parts warranty is good enough for me. I think it shows the parts have been tested aggressively by Nissan themselves.
That means more than some people realize, especially those new to modding. There is some much crap out there on the market that people will try to sell you that isn't worth it's weight in dog poop. It's too early to tell for sure but it seems like NISMO is going to step up and offer some really good mods.