2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:22 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Zexy
corporate=350z
A few years before purchasing my 350, I was seriously considering buying a Celica with the "action package". It came with a huge rear spoiler, side skirts and a more aggressive front fascia. While sitting down with the dealer he said the following: "No man with even a hint of taste or substance would be seen dead driving this car. When you finish school and enter the real world, is this really the car you want to pull up in in front of your co-workers?" To this day I'm glad he stopped me because now every time my Z passes one of those riced up (and s-l-o-o-o-w-w-w) Toyotas I just laugh at what might have been
Old 12-15-2005, 01:09 AM
geoff2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STI cause its a monster
Old 12-15-2005, 04:57 PM
garrettjj

STI's are not for everyone, which is why I like it so much. They aren't for people trying to "Impress" the corporate elite or for people who want "Status" in an automobile. They are the anti-establishment automobile. They are for people who value performance, technology and FUN. You get a lot for a 32K STI. Sophisticated adjustable AWD system, Boxer engine, Turbo/Intercooled(With virtually no lag), Beefy 6-speed transmission, Big brembos, Hi-performance wheels and rubber, etc. In a 4-door package that weighs 32XX lbs you get a car that can beat/match a Doge Viper SRT10 from 0-55 mph and is on Par with a C6 Z06, all at lower speeds of course. Yes, even the domestic Mags like Hot-Rod were split among the STI and the Mustang Cobra when compared in their magazine when the STI posted slightly better 0-60 and 1/4 times than a Cobra while exhibiting superior handling(According to them). Bottom line, the car is a practical, incredible overall steet car for the performance enthusiast.

---- STI -- Viper ---Z06
0-30 1.3 --- 1.8 --- 1.6
0-40 2.2 --- 2.5 --- 2.3
0-50 3.1 --- 3.1 --- 2.9
0-60 4.5 --- 4.0 --- 3.8

1/4 mile 13.0 @ 103.5
*Motor Trend 12/05

Last edited by garrettjj; 12-15-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:53 PM
JunJTan

wow, i barely see an stock sti can run 4.5s.

Last edited by JunJTan; 12-15-2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:54 AM
LIdrew

I like the STi as well and would love to own one. I really like the Idea of slapping on some winter tires and hitting the streets in these snowy New York winters. It's fast, It's got a back seat and AWD. Good combo. My Z is just too well rounded and BEAUTIFUL to trade for an STi though. Once I pay off my Z I would get an STi as my winter car. But, By then there will be a $hit load of other choices. Also, from reading subaru forums most STi drivers are not running 13 sec flat quarter stock. Usually around 13.5, even higher. Modded is a different story. Just because you have the car doesn't mean you know how to drive it. It's funny when I test drove one the salesman told me to be careful.."It's got alot of power if you're not used to it" I laughed cause I drove up in my Z. My RWD Z with VDC off is 10 times more dangerous to drive than that!
Old 12-16-2005, 04:45 PM
garrettjj

Originally Posted by LIdrew
I like the STi as well and would love to own one. I really like the Idea of slapping on some winter tires and hitting the streets in these snowy New York winters. It's fast, It's got a back seat and AWD. Good combo. My Z is just too well rounded and BEAUTIFUL to trade for an STi though. Once I pay off my Z I would get an STi as my winter car. But, By then there will be a $hit load of other choices. Also, from reading subaru forums most STi drivers are not running 13 sec flat quarter stock. Usually around 13.5, even higher. Modded is a different story. Just because you have the car doesn't mean you know how to drive it. It's funny when I test drove one the salesman told me to be careful.."It's got alot of power if you're not used to it" I laughed cause I drove up in my Z. My RWD Z with VDC off is 10 times more dangerous to drive than that!
Good point, but most times for stock STI are low to mid 13's and there are people with proven time slips that have ran 12.9s stock who know how to extract the most from the car(Launches and shifting). I agree the majority however, will be around 13.3. Basically the car is capable of those times, some driver's are not

I really like the 350Z from most all angles. I just wish it had a turbo motor like the last gen Z and a little more edge to it. The Z is a great car, just very different in many ways compared to an STI. Depends on what you want.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Blue Komodo

This thread needs a jolt. I've been following the development of this '06 STI. It's one of the nicer ones I've seen. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI-06-bay-complte5z_133.jpg   NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI-spec-c-lipa-betta-k_505.jpg   NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI-spec-c-lipa-betta-o_656.jpg   NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI-000-lip-done1_154.jpg   NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI-jdm-vlim1_964.jpg  

Old 01-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Racerinlsl

i'm a previous 02 wrx owner and wasn't a huge fan of the 05, but I like this 06. It has grown on me for sure. the Z is without a doubt a better looking car, but bang for the buck, the sti is a thing of beauty.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:02 PM
JunJTan

this is just a simple choice, between looks, performance and practicabilities. it's obvious between the two cars. just see which one you wanna more rely on. END.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:07 AM
Roadstar

i came from an STi, and i can tell you that STi is faster and has the extra seats for practical purposes....simple equation is as follows:

1) Whats more important to you, performance, practical back seats and awd or looks, sporty feel, 2 doors, rwd?

Answer: Performance - go with sti looks - go with the Z
Old 01-13-2006, 11:24 AM
skylin3R33

Originally Posted by C5's are better
Once again...I said unless you drag race the cars I dont see the point...The origional poster said he is not interested in drag racing or auto crossing..

But he kept thinking about getting the STI instaead of the Z (possibly) because the STI is faster...

I was simply explaining to the origional poster that the STI will not (FeeL) any faster during the normal driving you do 90% of the time..

The only time it will be faster is when it is launched from a dead stop...

Now if he was interested in drag racing or auto crossing I would have wrote things quite differently and in Favor of the STI...

The STI will kill a 350Z on a road course with ease...

The STI and C5 corvette are nearly identical in all areas..

-Both low to mid .90's on a 200ft skid pad

-Both mid to high 60's on the 600 ft slalom

-Both run low 13's with occassional cars getting high 12's

They are nearly EQUAL in the twisties..Some mags giving the C5 advantages with some mags giving the STI advantages....( LONG DISPUTE ON A STI FORUM A FEW MONTHS AGO HAD US CALLING IT A DRAW)

But the C5 usualy traps 107-110 mph in the 1/4 mile while the STI trapps 100-103 mph in the 1/4 mile...

Due to this fact the C5 will pull the STI with ease on the straights and match it turn for turn in the twisties....

So on aroad course the C5 actually has the advantage..

Now on a Rally course were the STI is ment to be...

Thats a different story...

So KOLIA....As far as corvette land and racing around turns....

Do you think the C5 with a 49/51 weight distribution cant handle or somthing...

Low to mid .90's on the skid pad and mid to high 60's on a 600 ft slalom is actually pretty impressive?????

Ive road raced my C5 on closed courses here in Hawaii and have found the stock C5 to be more than enough for most competitors...

Ive even held off a 360 modena who was directly behind me for 8 laps when I was bone stock.

To be totaly honest...The STI and EVO got dominated so bad by the C5's and other cars in the T3 class.....

That they now officaly compete in the T2 class...

Allow me to ask, what size tires do the C5's use stock? The STI uses tires with significantly less cross sectional width, 225mm, but still manages to generate the same, if not better handling numbers than the C5. Put those fat 275mm tires on an STI and handling superiority goes decisively to the STI. Or better yet, take off those 275 sized tires from the C5 put them on the STI and replace them with the 225 sized tires from the STI; now compare the handling.

Last edited by skylin3R33; 01-13-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:04 PM
mikeg8r

Originally Posted by Act of God
I see them as 2 very different cars, so it really depends on what you want. We're talking a fast 4 door or a 2 seater. The STi, as a turbo, will always respond better to mods. AWD is nice for the snow, but you live in GA so that doesn't really matter.

Styling is in the eye of the beholder, but I prefer the 350z. I definitely think the Subie is hot too, but I always think "ricer" when I see them. I think they attract more of that crowd as opposed to the 350z.

If you liked driving the z better, I think you have your anwswer already
True that. I went thru the same thing as you sharaabi. It came down to getting an 06 STi or 05 Z (I wanted the performance model and the last year for that was 05). It was amazing how similar the cars actually ended up being for me even thought they are so different. For me I liked the handling characteristics of the Z better, but I felt the STi was much quicker off the line. Every plus on one side was negated by some other minus. I even thought I would decide based on which would be cheaper to insure. It turned out for me (in L.A.) there was >$10/month difference with the Z being slightly less (must be that magic 300 number, I wonder if the 06Zs are more to insure now because of it). Both had tons of options for upgrades if I ever got around to them and both have a double-DIN for the DX7017 i'm going to get. Anyway, my final decision was the Z because I don't have any kids and I'm not going to miss not having a back seat. I figure when I do start having kids, that's when I'll get my STi.

BTW - did you end up deciding yet?
Old 01-13-2006, 02:09 PM
angelzhope720

think you should learn how to spell subaru
Old 01-13-2006, 03:54 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saying the STI is faster than a 350z is like saying allah is better than jesus.

If you're one of those morons who think drag racing and standing starts are the only indication of a cars performance, then you deserve neither a Z or an sti. You deserve to walk.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:24 PM
davidf

The STI is not a car that is about to go away anytime soon, in fact in performance terms they are at the top of their game, 1st consider investing $10,000 grand in a 350Z will get you a fast car no doubt, but investing $10,000 grand in an STI gets you as close to a race car as it gets. A lot of people judge the STI's looks by a picture[not all but some] in fact up close it's a very aggresive looking car. Though I am not a huge fan of 4 doors when I do decide to trade in the Z I will very seriously consider an STI.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Roadstar

kinda OT here but how well would a TT Z run against an upgraded ST STi?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 AM
sharaabi

wooh, i started this thread 2 years ago and now im FINALLY getting my Z on November.... i need help and joining the club.... imma need some advice boys!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:48 AM
blackstealthz

congrats you picked a winner
Old 08-30-2007, 06:29 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You said the same thing in March 2005: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/115655-another-new-z-shopper-answer-my-q-s.html
Old 08-30-2007, 09:54 AM
sharaabi

Originally Posted by davidv
You said the same thing in March 2005: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115655

thats cuz someone smart below gave me some good advice.....to save my money and not do impulse shopping and feed my ego.

I thankfully have a great job in downtown chicago, livin single, living large and could prolly afford an M3 if I wanted to...... i think i made a good decision in waiting and NOW that I want a 2007 350Z............ i think im ready.

mr2fasterthanyo

hey man. same situation as you (and a 1996 +2001 maxima as well)

25, and working ot pay off the bills, now going to buy a house, then save for a Z.

the post college bills add up quite a bit. I bought my second MR2 right after i graduated, bad choice. didn't realize how much all of those bills add up once the student loans come due ($280/month for 20 years). so i had to take a step back. i was orginally going to buy a new car last winter, but have since decided to push it back for a couple of years. my recomendation is to pay off all your bills as much as you can, save money, buy a house, then worry about a car. house prices are getting insane around here, and with all the added costs..... it can get scary. if you want to talk, shoot me a PM and i will send my #... where are you at in chicago by the way?

just remember a Z will probably cost you $400-650 a month, plus increased insurance and what not...... i love having my cars paid off, and insurance only being $80/mo (i only have liability) and am finally making very good progress on my other bills. but buying that second mr2 right after i got out was a bad idea, and i am paying for it now.... just a lot more costs of everything that you don't think about....

insurance, cable, phone, cell phone, water, trash, electric, CC bills, student loans, maintenance, rent, etc, etc,............

Quick Reply: NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI