Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 06:36 PM
FLdrifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But to actually stick to the topic. I considered trading in my Z for AN Sti. Took two test drives of AN Sti and didnt like the following: hood scoop is anoying and flutters, couldn't see guages well (Z's guage cluster is a huge plus), it didnt feel any quicker than my Z. Benifits of my Z are interior fit and exterior looks. Wouldnt trade in my Z for anything except an 07 GTR. ( and I hope its an infinity bc my nissan dealer cant even rember to screw back on the valve stem caps on my Z )
Old 08-16-2005, 06:36 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by FLdrifter
because its an STi, not JUST a STi
That **** was funny too.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:45 PM
tienlo

This goes for anyone buying any kind of car: If you go round comparing numbers - speed, power, torque, fuel economy, track times etc then you might be dissatisfied with the car when you finally get it. Make sure you test drive each car and be happy that it suits your style.

Having said that, the STI is quicker, and the Z is classier.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your looking for 1.) speed 2.) handling 3.) availability to add high HP this leaves you one choice. Neither the Z or the STI

EVO VIII has it all. Don't get my wrong I love my Z, but I bought it because I collect Z cars (1973 240Z, 1977 280Z, 2004 350Z). If I wanted a bad *** street machine it would be the EVO VIII
Old 08-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Manjot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True...If you want hard core performance (In terms of rally cars) get the Evo...But, if you want performance plus comfort, get the Sti...Evo doesn't even have cruise control plus the interior is a little crappy as compared to the Sti...I have to admit that the 06 Evo is pimp though...Imo
Old 08-16-2005, 10:46 PM
sas0

Great thread... I thought I would have to go to the EVO or STI forums to learn a little more about those rides. I have the Z, love it, and did the "$10K" worth of mods a month after I bought my Z (Wheels & Tires, Supercharger, brake upgrade, coilovers & swaybar). I have so much fun driving my Z, I just love it now.

Problem is, now that I'm used to the power, I'm looking for a 'more practical' but fast 2nd car for when I need the backseat and extra space. I also need the 'practical' car for the snow and rain. My plan is to wait for the EVO IX this fall and hopefully pick one up at a good price.

So my thoughts on this thread are, buy the Z, and as soon as you can get the FI mod of choice (ST, TT or SC). If you need a practical car start with a beater, but eventually you'll probably want all your cars to be as quick as your Z.

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:10 PM
nnkfws333

Originally Posted by Manjot
True...If you want hard core performance (In terms of rally cars) get the Evo...But, if you want performance plus comfort, get the Sti...Evo doesn't even have cruise control plus the interior is a little crappy as compared to the Sti...I have to admit that the 06 Evo is pimp though...Imo

Actually the EVO is more comfortable then the STI. Every car magazine has even said the EVO can easily be a driven daily versus an STI. I've ridden in both and I must agree. THe STI does have a cooler interior.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:23 AM
FLdrifter

I think its great that we have so many choices for an affordable performance car versus just a few years ago!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 04:23 AM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by nnkfws333
Actually the EVO is more comfortable then the STI. Every car magazine has even said the EVO can easily be a driven daily versus an STI. I've ridden in both and I must agree. THe STI does have a cooler interior.
Their talking about the Recaro seats, Evo has a stiffer suspension set up.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:18 AM
nnkfws333

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
Their talking about the Recaro seats, Evo has a stiffer suspension set up.
The suspension can be stiffer but what actually holds you and makes you feel more comfortable are the seats right???

I hear more road noise and the ground more in the STI then the EVO as well.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Blue Komodo

The suspension can be stiffer but what actually holds you and makes you feel more comfortable are the seats right???

I hear more road noise and the ground more in the STI then the EVO as well.
STI has a more agressive tread pattern with the REO70A's. This tire is compareable to the Falken 615. Hence, more road noise.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:31 PM
sas0

I really don't mean to take this thread way off topic, but what are the most common mods in the $2K range that EVO or STI users do to improve performance but still keep the car a daily driver?

Anybody know the most popular EVO and STI forums?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 09:26 PM
crapstick

The Z will impress more ladies. The STi will impress me and other machine heads.

Last edited by crapstick; 08-18-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by sas0
I really don't mean to take this thread way off topic, but what are the most common mods in the $2K range that EVO or STI users do to improve performance but still keep the car a daily driver?

Anybody know the most popular EVO and STI forums?

Thanks
Turbo back exhaust with down pipe, ecu upgdade, headers, intake. 100bhp easy. nasioc.com - iwsti.com
Old 08-19-2005, 06:52 AM
defex

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
if your looking for 1.) speed 2.) handling 3.) availability to add high HP this leaves you one choice. Neither the Z or the STI

EVO VIII has it all. Don't get my wrong I love my Z, but I bought it because I collect Z cars (1973 240Z, 1977 280Z, 2004 350Z). If I wanted a bad *** street machine it would be the EVO VIII
Sorry.. Off topic I know, but I like the look of your spoiler. Can you reply with the brand and where I might be able to get one? Thanks..
Old 08-19-2005, 01:36 PM
nnkfws333

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
Turbo back exhaust with down pipe, ecu upgdade, headers, intake. 100bhp easy. nasioc.com - iwsti.com

Headers? I always used the term headers with a NA car and called them turbo manifolds....
Old 08-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Blue Komodo

Headers? I always used the term headers with a NA car and called them turbo manifolds....
Yeah dude, equal length manifold. There're tubular and highly polished, 'kinda look like headers. edit: Yeah, there're headers. Used with up pipe.

Last edited by Blue Komodo; 08-19-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Since your already asking other people go with the Z. The Z car is made for those people who like the opinion of others since most other people love the Z. If you dont care what other people think then get the STI bc no one will care when you pull up in your 4 door econo box look-alike except for all of us gear heads.

Very true... the average person will pick the Z in overall looks. Gear Heads will pick the STI or EVO. You just have to decide whats most important to you. For me it was a balance between function and form. The Z delivered.

If you want neck whipping performance and enjoy racing on a track you'll get more out of an EVO or STI, especially with 10k to spend.

Zquicksilver
Old 08-20-2005, 07:42 AM
SCP

I am exposed to both the Z and the STI everyday. I do believe the exterior styling of the Z is much classier. Depending of what you are looking for both would make a great choice. The STi is faster off the line but the Z has a lot of potential as well. They are both durable. The Sti will definitely handle much better than the Z.
Let me know if you have any questions. I have driven both and have modified both. I work at a acura, subaru dealership. We are also currently taking over a nissan.
Ferdie
www.southcoastperformance.com
Old 08-20-2005, 08:44 AM
track brembo

350z= its more pretty, whith the 350z you would have the girls melting for you, and with 10k you culd easely distroy the STI

Quick Reply: NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI