Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:57 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody other than me here has driven both the STi and Z ?

C5, you realize you're bragging of a Vette on a Z forum right?

The Vette is a nice car. Pletty of power, lots of grip from these huge tires. In the straights they will loose me of course (a 100hp advantage alway help!), but in the the twisties they never bothered me. Unless the driver is exceptionnaly good, or it's a Z06 on slicks, I can hold my own with my stock Z on Azenis street tires.

Which I guess agrees with your comment on the driver being the major factor in the final speed of these cars.

Out of the box, I firmly believe the STi is faster than the Z. They require a slightly different driving style so a moment of adaptation is necessary. AWD and turbo is very different than RWD N/A. But once you get used the the turbo lag (almost none existant now) and get on the power early enough to take advantage of the AWD, an STi becomes super fast.

Cheers !
Old 12-12-2005, 04:36 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Which did you buy? The 350Z or WRX STi?
That's what I figured.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:41 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C5's are better
The STI is ugly and not any faster than the 350Z...Same goes for the EVO...

The STI...EVO...And 350Z all trap in the 100-103 mph range bone stock at the track....

Depending on the Density altitude and elevation...Ive seen many STI's EVO's and 350Z's not even hit 100 mph in the 1/4 mile....

What this means is that if you have a sti evo and 350z all side by side on the freway at a 70 mph roll....

Who evers the better driver will win.

If all drivers are equal....Then who ever got the strongest one from the factory will win. Thats how close it is performance wise.

Your not gonna notice a STI pulling any harder around town or on the freeway than an 350Z...Cas it simply dosent...

The fact that the STI and EVO run mid 13's on average compared to the 350Z's low 14's on average has nonthing to do with the engine...

It's simply that the STI and EVO are AWD and EASILY get 1.8 60 fts bone stock.....

A 350Z EASILY gets 2.2 60 fts bone stock...

2.2 is slower than 1.8 by 4 TENTHS!!!!

Thats 4 tenths quicker that the STI or EVO will be quicker through the 1/4 mile just off the launch alone...

Now using a conservative rule of thumb that every 1 tenth gained in the 60 ft is worth 1.5 tenths through the 1/4 mile and........

That 4 tenth advantage that the sti and evo had over the 350Z in the 60 ft will end up being a 6 tenth advantage for the AWD cars over the 350 Z...

Lets just say that each car trapped at the normal 101 we sea them trap at average tracks....

With a average trap speed of 101 and a avaerage 60 ft of 2.2...The best the 350Z can hope for is a 13.9

With a average trap speed of 101 and a average 60 ft of 1.8....The best the AWD sti or evo can hope for is 13.3

There is a huge differance between 13.9 and 13.3..Were talking bus lengths here.....

But you take those same 3 cars ( that all trapped 101 at the track tonight)out on the freeway at a 70 mph roll.....

And the sti and evo advantage is gone.....It will be a close race between all 3 cars.

IT IS THIS REASON ALONE THAT MAKES ME WONDER WHY PEOPLE WHO DONT DRAG RACE THERE CAR WORRY ABOUT THE STI BEING FASTER AND USING THAT AS A VALUBLE POINT TO GET THE UGLY STI OVER THE BETTER LOOKING 350Z.

Seriously...They both trapp around the same in the 1/4 mile....The only way the STI would EVER seam faster is if you were launching from stop light to stop light....Or purposly coming to a complete stop before each turn...So you could build up your revs and floor it around the corner..

IF YOUR JUST CRUISING AT 40 MPH AND THINK THE LIGHT UP AHEAD MAY TURN YELLOW SOON SO YOU FLOOR IT IN ORDER TO MAKE THE LIGHT....THE 350Z, EVO AND STI ARE ALL GONNA FEEL ABOUT THE SAME GETTING THROUGH THE LIGHT...

I SERIOUSLY DONT THINK I CAN EXPLAIN IT ANY BETTER FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DONT GO AUTO CROSSING OR TO THE DRAG STRIP.

Now lets say you throw in a C5 corvette like mine into the mix....

At the strip...

Once again the STI/Evo pulls a average 1.8 60 ft off an average 101 mph...The best there gonna get is a 13.3 at 101 mphoff that 60 ft and mph...

Now the C5 pulls an average 2.2 60 ft and and an average 107 mph...The best the C5 is gonna do is a 13.3 at 107 mph off that 60 ft and mph...

Some of you still arent getting it and thinking...WOW..The STI/EVO is just as fast as the C5....

And YEA from a stand still there very similar...

But put the EVO, STI, 350Z and C5 all back on the freeway and have them race from a 70 mph roll....

Once again the EVO..STI and 350 Z will all have a VERY close race with the better driver winning...Simply because they all trapped 101 mph at the same track on the same night...

The C5 will pull ahead with ease..He trapped 107 mph at the same track at the same night..

Since he trapped 6 mph higher than the other 3 cars...He will constantly be at a speed of 6 mph higher than the rest...

While the evo..sti and 350Z are all at 95 mph and still moving up through the revs...He will already be at 101 mph and still pulling up through the revs...

The rate of speed that The C5 will pull the other 3 cars is about the same as watching a slow jogger, jogging at a speed of 6 mph passing a parked STI or Evo or 350Z...

It wont be lightning quick...But probaly 1 car length every 2-3 seconds or so...

Lets go back to the 350Z and evo/sti that was criusing at 40 mph and then saw the light up ahead that was about to turn yellow and tried to make the light...

The EVO..Sti and 350Z that all trapped 101 mph in the 1/4 mile will all feel the same when the pedal is mashed at 40 mph to beat the light..

The C5 will be slightly faster to the light and have a noticable seat of the pants differance in acelleration compared to the other 3...

Once again it trapped 107 mph at the same track on the same night as the other 3..

NOW MPH IS A REASON TO GET ONE CAR OVER ANOTHER BECAUSE IT'S QUICKER...

Even though the Evo/STI and C5 all ran the same 13.3 ET that night.....You wont have to be at a stand still to see how the C5 is more powerful/quicker than the 350Z you were considering.

Everytime you mash the gas in the C5 from ANY mph..You will feel how much faster it is....

That is a real reason to get a car cas it's quicker...MPH..not 60 fts..

What would happen if you put slicks on the 350Z that ran a 13.9 at 101 mph off a 2.2 60 ft????

Im guessing a 1.8 60 ft with a 13.4 at 100 mph...( you loose a little mph with traction)

Now you can easily see how the STI/EVO is actualy no quicker...

Now lets give slicks to the C5 that ran a 2.2 60 ft to a 13.3 at 107 mph...

Off a 1.8 60 ft that same C5 that ran 13.3 at 107 would run a 12.8 at 106 mph.....

Take the impressive launching 350Z and C5 that just ran 13.4 and 12.8 respectivly on slicks and have them roll race a stock 350Z and stock C5 that are on street tires compared to our slicks from a 70 mph roll..

The 350Z's will be kneck and kneck as will the C5's...

BUT HOW CAN THIS BE!!!!THE 350Z JUST RAN A 13.4 AT THE TRACK AND THE C5 JUST RAN A 12.8...

HOW ARE THE STOCK 350 Z THAT SHOULD ONLY RUN A 13.9 AND THE STOCK C5 THAT SHOULD ONLY RUN A 13.3 HANGING KNECK AND KNECK WITH MY LOW 13 SECOND 350Z AND YOUR HIGH 12 SECOND C5??????

SIMPLE...cas on the highway impressive launches dont mean jack....driving around town..impressive launches dont mean jack...trying to beat the light...impressive launches dont mean jack..

So seriously...Unless your gonna drag race the car...Dont get an ugly STI/Evo over an 350Z cas you think it's gonna be quicker....

THEY TRAP AROUND THE SAME MPH AT THE STRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very interesting about the Corvette, but the OP did not offer the Corvette as a choice. Besides, the OP has not and is not buying a 350Z or any other car. This entire thread is academic.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:40 AM
C5's are better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys Im not bragging about the C5...

It base price is 15 grand more than the base price for the 350Z...It should be faster and better handling..

I just used it as an example of an car that faster than the 350Z due to actual HP...

I could have easily said the camaro wich has a faster trap speed than the 350Z...Or cobra that has a faster trap speed..

Or many numerous other cars that trap higher through the 1/4 mile than the 100-103 seen by 350Z's and STI's...

I chose the C5 for the comparison simply because I know the car well.

I was just trying to show the differance in driving a car that actualy is faster due to raw power.....

Compared to a car that is faster due to traction...

Theres a world of differance in everyday driving.

AND IF ANYTHING I WAS GIVING THE 350Z PROPS AND SAYING IT WAS JUST AS FAST AS THE UGLY (IMHO) STI DURING EVERYDAY DRIVING ON THE FREEWAY AND AROUND TOWN.

WHY WOULD 350Z GUYS TAKE OFFENSE TO ME SAYING THINGS LIKE THAT?

As to my name please dont take it personaly....Ive been a C5 fan for MANY years and have owned one for 2 years..

Ive got a bedroom in my house dedicated to nonthing but C5's and C5r's...

To me C5's are better than exotics....But thats just because I have a weird obsession and need help...

So please dont think my name represents me thinking C5's are better than 350Z;s...

They both offer a lot of value and looks and speed for the $$$$$

( THEY ARE BETTER THAN STI'S THOUGH )
Old 12-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Kolia

I don’t think anybody was offended. I sure wasn’t and I hope C5 wasn’t either.

Everyday street driving is irrelevant when someone asks a question about performance. In every day driving, a Corolla is just as fast as anything else.

The Z was designed with good cornering and a flat driving experience (ie little body roll, responsive steering). It’s made to go around a track or down a twisty road. So the car will naturally attract drivers who are into that type of driving. You can’t expect a lot of support from the Z crowd if you’re basing your argument on 1/4 miles time only.

At the end of the day, we’re all cars guys (and gals).

As a side note: I had a video posted here only of me racing a modded WRX. It was fun to see how much I suck at launching a car from a standstill! (I lost that race…)
Old 12-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by Kolia
I have an Impreza 2.5RS as daily driver/winter beater and the 350Z for the track and week-end drive. No need for 300hp if I’m driving on the snow with no traction!

I track the Z with my Subaru friends (we rent a track for a full week-end every year). We have Solo2 drivers, Canadian rally champions and GT racers in our lot, some pretty good drivers. It’s incredible how hard I have to work to keep up with a stock STi driven by my own beginner students!

I like to work for my lap time. That’s one reason I chose the Z over an STi. It’s so much more rewarding to nail your apex just right on RWD car than just throw an AWD car anyways and power slide out of it. It’s just too easy!

maximZ
Have you ever tracked the STI?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Blue Komodo

Anybody other than me here has driven both the STi and Z ?
I've owned both. Had a WRX too.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:15 AM
chaofun

Originally Posted by bstansbu
Im no english major, but I believe you use "an" and not "a" in front of any abreviated word. The word doesnt haven to start with a vowel. For example, If I say I am going to go back to college to get a MBA. It just sounds funny. I dont know. Any english majors out there? BEN
You say an STI and an MBA because when you pronounce these words, they sound like they start with vowels. For example, the S in STI sounds like "ess," which is a vowel sound (the eh sound sounds like e), and the M in MBA sounds like "emm," which is also a vowel sound. Using a or an has nothing to do with abbreviated words. It has to do with vowel sounds, not just if the vowel is there.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:51 AM
Kolia

Where did that last post come from?

Interesting the “a” and “an” info. I use one or the other based on gut feeling. I’m French Canadian so I guess I end up with mixed results there! MS Word helps a lot too! Aha!

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
Have you ever tracked the STI?
I’ve ridden with some of my student in their STi on the race track. Put did not drive them (student sometime get scarred when you take their car beyond what they thought physically possible) I’ve also driven WRXs on the track and my RS used to have a STi suspension with Prodrive springs plus 4 piston euro brakes. That was when I was living in Italy and lapped at Monza, Adria, Mizano, Mugelo, Varano and some other tracks. Turned out I could keep up with the local STi on short tracks with that setup. I did have non-street legal tires then (Falken Azenis RT-215 are not available in Italy), so you could say I was cheating

This is when I realized that driving an AWD car on the track, although super fast, was not as much “fun” than having to struggle with limited traction and delicately balancing a RWD car on the line.

Test driving a 350Z for the first time at Monza also helped me decide on my future car after I moved to the States!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Fear Night

If somebody handed me 6 grand to cover the extra cost I would just mod my Z. The STi is very nice (my friend has a black '05 that he let me drive). It's quicker than the Z but there are a few points about the Z I perfer.

1. RWD (more fun than AWD imo)
2. Styling (STi gets a 7, Z gets a 9)
3. Handling
4. Brakes
5. Coupe > Sedan
6. Price!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Roadstar

the thing is simple u know.....
STi = not as hot as the Z...in many ppl's opinion if not, all..
better performance machine (stock), with mods, STi will be cheaper to be made faster
but if ur gonna spend insane amount of cash, then ditch em both and get a 911

Z is more classy, slower then STi in stock form, great potential to make fast, nothing to lose to test drive it and see if ur satisfied with the performance..

if ur seriously gonna go crazy, i suggest ditch both and get 911
Old 12-14-2005, 02:16 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Roadstar
if ur seriously gonna go crazy, i suggest ditch both and get 911
It would be crazy to get a car that is slower than both STi and Z...
Old 12-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Roadstar

.........lol~~
i think even the worse driver in the world will not lose when driving a 911 against a Z or an STi
Old 12-14-2005, 02:34 AM
Roadstar

dont get me wrong, i drive a Z myself and my friend has an STi and my solution for snow is call him up to drop me off when it snows%^^

and btw, 911 has looks better than Z and STi
out performs both easily
has AWD if u need it
great handling
its a god damn porsche
unique styling
outstanding brakes
good suspension

the only problem is, the price tag is 3 -4 times the price of the Z......when i mean 911 i mean the turbo S or GT3 or GT2lol..

and if thats not ballerish enough for u, then ditch the 911 and get a Carrera GT, then u will own
Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 AM
Jeffsta17

Off the line the STI will take it every time but will eventually top out so the Z will be right there to take over. 285 BHP on a stock turbo car against 300 BHP non turbo car (assuming you have track edition or higher) The Z will outperform it on straights but in turns the STI will win. It all depends on your style of driving, if you like to run highways and kick *** the Z is gonna have a better top end since it doesnt lose its top end to AWD. No to mention if you slap a turbo on the Z it will be even quicker. I would take a Z any day over a STI just for those reasons I gave.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:57 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Roadstar
.........lol~~
i think even the worse driver in the world will not lose when driving a 911 against a Z or an STi
I know what you meant. I like the 911 a lot to!

It's just that the Porsche owner stereotype is a slow guy on the track. I haven't had any problem passing 911s on the track, except when they block. (Wich they do often! )
Old 12-14-2005, 03:11 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Jeffsta17
Off the line the STI will take it every time but will eventually top out so the Z will be right there to take over. 285 BHP on a stock turbo car against 300 BHP non turbo car (assuming you have track edition or higher) The Z will outperform it on straights but in turns the STI will win. It all depends on your style of driving, if you like to run highways and kick *** the Z is gonna have a better top end since it doesnt lose its top end to AWD. No to mention if you slap a turbo on the Z it will be even quicker. I would take a Z any day over a STI just for those reasons I gave.
The Sti has 300hp and 300 ftlb of torque on a broad rpm range. Plus a shorter drivetrain. It will not run out of steam until deep into triple digits speeds.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:17 AM
Kolia

Here, I suck at launching the car. But it's obvious there was no contest anyways...

STi vs Z

Plus an extra. The blue wagon has a full JDM engine and drivetrain, oem 286hp with twin scroll turbo. Sweet !

Killer Wagons

Ah and while I'm at it, my first launch ever... Bad hey ? hehe

05 Z Track launching bad !
Old 12-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Blue Komodo

The Sti has 300hp and 300 ftlb of torque on a broad rpm range. Plus a shorter drivetrain. It will not run out of steam until deep into triple digits speeds.
Plus better gearing.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
Plus better gearing.
Yup !

Exiting the hairpin and coming down the straight at St-Felicien, I’d go from 2nd to 3rd gear while my friends in Sti’s would go all the way to 5th !

Quick Reply: NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI