Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I Almost Died in my 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:27 AM
shortbus1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What occurs when driving in the rain is primarily about HOW one drives in the rain. I don't give a damn what kinda car you have and what kinda tires you got. Wet roads equal dangerous driving conditions. You need to be much more conservative then usual. Drive a bit slower, keep more spacing between you and the vehicle in front of you, stay away from the right lane where water tends to pool, don't give it too much throttle, dont turn fast and hard...I mean this is all common sense. There are those rare circumstances where an accident caused by the rain cannot be avoided. However, in most cases accidents during that time are due to agressive driving. Just slow down and be more careful.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:21 PM
03performz

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shortbus1981
What occurs when driving in the rain is primarily about HOW one drives in the rain. I don't give a damn what kinda car you have and what kinda tires you got. Wet roads equal dangerous driving conditions. You need to be much more conservative then usual. Drive a bit slower, keep more spacing between you and the vehicle in front of you, stay away from the right lane where water tends to pool, don't give it too much throttle, dont turn fast and hard...I mean this is all common sense. There are those rare circumstances where an accident caused by the rain cannot be avoided. However, in most cases accidents during that time are due to agressive driving. Just slow down and be more careful.
Shortbus..."if the only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"..then if you don't know anything..then how do you know that you don't know anything? Socrates should have just said..have humility..but he just wanted to sound pretentiously philosophical.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by VeeTec
Respect RWD, especially in the rain.

I think everyone should have to take defensive driving, with a wet skidpad, before they go out and get a license.
+1
Old 08-19-2005, 03:55 PM
shortbus1981

Originally Posted by 03performz
Shortbus..."if the only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"..then if you don't know anything..then how do you know that you don't know anything? Socrates should have just said..have humility..but he just wanted to sound pretentiously philosophical.

Essentially what Socrates was saying is that you are truly wise when you can admit you do not know everything. It is merely an odd "pretentious" way of saying it. I merely like the quote and the idea behind it as I admit, a big characteristic of a quality person is to have humility and admit when you are ignorant about something as opposed to being an *** and acting like you know.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:20 PM
AdrenalineFX51

About a week after I got used to driving my Z, I took her to an abandoned parking lot, checked it over for glass/rocks, potholes, etc. Then I let her loose, broke traction quite a few times to grab a hold of how she feels when she lets go. If you can find a place to practice losing traction, go for it. Just don't do it too many times because you'll be leaving on a bare tread.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:33 PM
alan00000

thanks everyone ill be carfull next time
Old 08-19-2005, 11:27 PM
NzZ

Ultimately the driver must accept responsibility for mistakes but...the Z is a genuinely difficult car to pilot in bad weather. Visibility is poor, tires lack grip in the rain, the clutch grabs high up (which can throw off your timing if you're not used to it), etc. I've driven tons of powerful RWD cars in the rain...the Z is more trouble than any of the others.
NzZ
Old 08-19-2005, 11:34 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by Mantis3024
Wow thats crazy. Hearing all these stories of Zs spinning out on the rain has got me scared now. Glad to hear your incident ended with a fortunate outcome. Does your Z have VDC?
All these people post stories becasue they dont drive responsibly in the rain. Out here in socal, its raining and i see people driving 80 etc like its a sunny day on the road. People are idiots in the rain, you need to drive to respect the rain, especially in a rwd car that throws the tail real easy.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:38 PM
cloudy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shitty potenzas dont help.. throw on some wider wheels/tires and youll be atleast a little safer.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:30 AM
DBZ

Regardless of tire selection, I have never spun out unintentionally in either my Z nor my IS300, both RWD and both with Trac off. VDC, TRAC, etc. electronic nannies will not save your @ss in the rain. There are times when (for fun) I have done bootleg 180's in both vehicles in the dry and wet with all electronic nannies on. It is much easier with the nannies off, however with a stupid or motivated driver or both you can defeat the safety features. This is one of those threads where it is all driver error or inexperience. So learn the limits of your vehicle and enjoy the vehicle even more now because you know where the limits of your vehicle and driving skill are.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:46 AM
cloudy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what are you suggesting him go to big empty parking lots and practicing drifting around? lol
Old 08-20-2005, 01:28 PM
KenWH

As a TN boy growing up in the country driving pick-up trucks, I had to learn how to drive rwd vehicles properly. The full-size trucks I always drove had fairly high torque v-8's with lsd rear-ends. Trucks by nature when unloaded have very little weight in the rear over the axle plus they have VERY stiff leaf springs in the back. The least bit of moisture on the road and you had a major oversteer situation regardless of tires etc. It's just something truck owners/drivers learn to deal with.

That said...the Z is way more sure footed in the wet, even more so after putting on the Dunlops(way better than the oe Stones). I actually enjoy driving in the rain with the z. It's much easier to control when hanging out the rearend than a truck.

Last edited by KenWH; 08-20-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:19 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by cloudy
Shitty potenzas dont help.. throw on some wider wheels/tires and youll be atleast a little safer.
Wider tires are not safer in the rain. In fact, it is the wide tires that contribute to hydroplaning in the rain. Having been around a bit, when I buy tires I am primarily looking for good wet weather grip and gentle behaviour at loss of adhesion, not maximum dry weather grip.