Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New to the Z Forum, want to lease a Z!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 07:05 AM
FreebirdZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Z Forum, want to lease a Z!

Hey folks,

By way of introduction, my name is John and the lease for my Acura TL-S is coming up real soon. I'm looking into getting a new car, and the Z has been doing it for me for a while.

I've got a bunch of questions, I hope y'all can help me. First and formost, I'm kind of a big guy (5'11, 190) and I'm afraid the Z may be too small for a daily driver. Anyone have any comments on that?

I'm looking to lease the Z - can it be done for under 500 bucks if it includes navigation?

What are some things you wish you should have asked the dealer for when you purchased or leased your Z, but didn't? Hindsight is great

I'm going to go for a test drive today, if the rain in Miami ever lets up... on second thought, this may be the perfect time to test the handling!
Old 08-21-2005, 07:38 AM
bstansbu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant answer you on the lease question but as far as your size, I dont see that a problem. There are tons of guys on this site that are over 6 foot 4 inches 230-250 pounds and from what Ive read on here, the Z fits them perfect. Im only 5 ft 8 about 200lbs and I feel fine inside the Z. BEN
Old 08-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Zcarboy

I am 5 11" 200lbs and fit in with no problem. Only on a long vacation drive does it bother me. As for leasing for under $500 a month all depends on what you put down and how much the model of the Z is. Coming for an Acura TL I am asuming that you want a Touring model or Grand Touring.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Tu_Clean

I'm 6'1 210 and have no problems at all in the Z.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:49 AM
MADDOG`

ahhh...lease vs. buy. I'm sure, since you have leased before, you understand the tax advantage if the vehicle is used for your business and you write off a portion of the expense.

Lease also gets you in the vehicle cheaper than a down payment (usually 10 to 20% of capital cost of the vehicle) but I don't think you can get in one for $500 or less.

Remember, when leasing, don't tell the dealer you intend on leasing the vehicle in the initial stages. Negotiate the price of the vehicle down from sticker or MSRP, then tell them you wish to lease based on the final negotiated price. Some dealers will then pull the deal, telling you leases are based on the MRSP. Don't fall for that. Reducing your cap cost will reduce your lease payment and the buyout price.

Also, remember that there is no equity built when leasing, i.e., you have no value you can use to lease or buy another vehicle, as you are only paying on what they have calculated is the depreciation on the vehicle over the term of the lease.

On the subject of fitting in the car, the other posts here are pretty clear. There is no problem unless you are taller than 6'-4" or so or if you "wide" as the bolsters on the seat are only so wide and will make you feel a bit uncomfortable if ya are wider than the bolsters.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-21-2005, 11:26 AM
FreebirdZ

Originally Posted by MADDOG`
ahhh...lease vs. buy. I'm sure, since you have leased before, you understand the tax advantage if the vehicle is used for your business and you write off a portion of the expense.

Lease also gets you in the vehicle cheaper than a down payment (usually 10 to 20% of capital cost of the vehicle) but I don't think you can get in one for $500 or less.

Remember, when leasing, don't tell the dealer you intend on leasing the vehicle in the initial stages. Negotiate the price of the vehicle down from sticker or MSRP, then tell them you wish to lease based on the final negotiated price. Some dealers will then pull the deal, telling you leases are based on the MRSP. Don't fall for that. Reducing your cap cost will reduce your lease payment and the buyout price.

Also, remember that there is no equity built when leasing, i.e., you have no value you can use to lease or buy another vehicle, as you are only paying on what they have calculated is the depreciation on the vehicle over the term of the lease.

On the subject of fitting in the car, the other posts here are pretty clear. There is no problem unless you are taller than 6'-4" or so or if you "wide" as the bolsters on the seat are only so wide and will make you feel a bit uncomfortable if ya are wider than the bolsters.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. I dont have much of a choice on the lease vs own issue - I was fortunate to win a raffle, first prize was a 3 year lease on the Lexus ES330. It's a good car but really for middle aged or older folks and it doesnt fit my style, so I got someone to take over the lease and he agreed to pay up to 500 bucks for my next lease.

I guess everything is negotiable, maybe I'll look on the boards to see if someone wants me to take over their lease. I dont intend on owning the car more than 3 years so that's not an issue. I really do want the navi option, how much more should that add to the lease or cost of the car?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:30 AM
bstansbu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FreebirdZ
Thanks for the info. I dont have much of a choice on the lease vs own issue - I was fortunate to win a raffle, first prize was a 3 year lease on the Lexus ES330. It's a good car but really for middle aged or older folks and it doesnt fit my style, so I got someone to take over the lease and he agreed to pay up to 500 bucks for my next lease.

I guess everything is negotiable, maybe I'll look on the boards to see if someone wants me to take over their lease. I dont intend on owning the car more than 3 years so that's not an issue. I really do want the navi option, how much more should that add to the lease or cost of the car?
I may be a little off, but Im pretty sure if you buy new, the Nav is a 2000$ option and if used, then you add about 500$ to the price if it has nav. My suggestion, buy a small map for 3.99$ and stuff it in the empty Nav compartment. hahaha BEN
Old 08-21-2005, 02:56 PM
FreebirdZ

Originally Posted by bstansbu
I may be a little off, but Im pretty sure if you buy new, the Nav is a 2000$ option and if used, then you add about 500$ to the price if it has nav. My suggestion, buy a small map for 3.99$ and stuff it in the empty Nav compartment. hahaha BEN
Everyone is a comedian !!!

Seriously though - anyone have any regrets over buying the Z ? What are some common complaints? With my Acura, everyone knew the tranny was likely to go down the toilet. Anything similar with teh Z?
Old 08-21-2005, 05:37 PM
NismoNitsuj

I'm 6'5, 240...and I fit. The only thing I had to do was buy one of those console panels with the kneepad on it. I have nav, but I never use it. The car was used, so I didn't really have an option.

I say buy it. Once you drive it, you'll know it's one of those cars that you won't want to get rid of.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:10 PM
MADDOG`

The Nav system is DVD based so you are always updating it. I find getting driving directions and a map on MapQuest much handier. Once I've been to a place, I have no problem finding it again.

The Z is a great car. If you are going to use it as a daily driver you may not want a manual trans. Those aren't a lot of fun in stop n go traffic. The Touring 5AT would be a good choice. Don't let the rants here scare you off. I have a 2003 Track model (6MT, Brembo brakes, cloth interior, base stereo - I never turn it on as I love the sound of the car too much! - not much else) and I have had some minor issues which were all repaired under warranty or a technical service bulletin.

I'd still buy the car knowing now what I know. There is an issue with the front suspension in 2003's that seems to be less of a problem in the last half of the '04 and up production.

I think you'll like the car but then again, I may be prejudiced. <G>

Last edited by MADDOG`; 08-22-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

6' 0" 200lbs, I fit great. And I have really wide feet...

Some cars that are too small for me are for example the S2000, and the Boxster.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Spideynw

I'm looking to lease the Z - can it be done for under 500 bucks if it includes navigation?

What are some things you wish you should have asked the dealer for when you purchased or leased your Z, but didn't? Hindsight is great
You should be able to get the Enthusiast model with Nav for under $500 leased with $1000.00 down. Enthusiast model is best bang for the buck.

Make sure you get clear bra on the front bumper. I got a clear bra, but it only covers front of hood and the mirrors.

Also, make sure you get the mud flaps. Mine came with them, and I love them.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:56 PM
CervanteZ

FYI, I'm leasing mine, but this baby ain't going back to the dealer. Nope, it's stuck with me. The dealer's offer was $490... and a swift kick in the A$$. After pulling the "I'm going home" bit, I got it down to $430... should've tried harder, could've gotten it cheaper. Just make sure if you are going to lease, let it be something you really want... I mean color, features, etc... I have my enthusiast, but I could've really enjoyed a touring(or whatever model has the navi), or if you want to do a 500 payment, get a Track(brembo baby!), it might seem like a long shot, but hey some dealers are ready to rip you off anyways.
Peace out, good luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:59 AM
FreebirdZ

Does the Z with manual cost less than with automatic transmission? Does it matter for any of the models?

Edit: And whats the bra for?

Last edited by FreebirdZ; 08-24-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Does the Z with manual cost less than with automatic transmission? Does it matter for any of the models?

Edit: And whats the bra for?
If you get Enthusiast model, the manual is less.

If you get Touring, manual costs more.

This is due to the bigger rims you get with MT touring as well as the VDC system with MT touring.

The bra is to prevent front end rock chips, which are all too common on Nissan paint.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:44 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Unless the lease is for your business...

its less expensive in the long run to buy outright. Generally, people lease cars because they cant come up with a down payment. Driving a leased car is like driving a rental: its not your car.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:03 PM
elms350Z

Originally Posted by davidv
its less expensive in the long run to buy outright. Generally, people lease cars because they cant come up with a down payment. Driving a leased car is like driving a rental: its not your car.
I agree, but I have never leased so I do not know the benefits. Since you have I'm sure you already know the pros and cons. But $500 a month can get you a used Z if you do some shopping. You could even get a New Base Z for that with a descent down payment. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Occasionally leasing is to one's economic advantage...

sometimes there are really good deals through leasing, other times you can pay for the lease with pre-tax dollars!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:43 AM
CervanteZ

I'm leasing mine, and I could've come up with the down payment, almost half of the price of the car actually, but you show me someone who is not making payments on a new vehicle and I'll show a rich ****. I mean really do we ever stop making payments on a vehicle? If you financed it, and you owe the bank some mula, YOU DON'T OWN THE CAR EITHER, it's registered under your name, but the bank owns it. And just for kicks, stop making payments on it, and let's see what happens. I'm still able to do what I want with it, I lowered it, changed the rims, blah blah blah... So lease is renting it? Yes, but I'm KEEPING mine. But really arguing with you is like booing at the special olympics...
I'm out like a ****.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by davidv
Yea, this is a misconception. I am leasing my vehicle, and can do anything I want to it, as long as I do not intend to turn it in at the end of the lease, which I don't. You can also put on it as many miles as you want, if you are not trading it back in at the end of the lease.

Quick Reply: New to the Z Forum, want to lease a Z!