Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

how do you disable vdc completly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 05:22 PM
The Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
I will look into making a switch that will go nicely next to the heated seats button console...

but, i am not sure if it will work turning it on and off while driving ...
That would be great. Hell I'd bring my car to your shop to have that done professionally... maybe switch the current vdc button out with a dummy switch that doesn't move, and then just have the control by the other two buttons on the console like you mentioned... perhaps a toggle style lighted led switch that you can flip either to normal vdc off / total vdc off mode. I guess it would take a double button if you wanted full vdc on tho.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:49 PM
racin

My 03 track model vdc is completely disabled when the button is pushed. Been racing it for quite some time, and would know if it was still interrupting. With that said, I now have NO electronics left in the car, all the way to using manual brakes, with no ABS or anything left wired or mounted in the car. If it reacts differently, I'll know it and report it.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:08 PM
spf4000

I finally got around to installing a switch to turn off the VDC completely. It's very noticable. If you turn off the VDC through normal means, it turns itself off during acceleration, but it remains active during braking which is great for must people, but when you're on the track, it can be intrusive when you're intentionally trying to get the car to rotate by trail braking. Instead of bringing the tail around, it'll try to correct itself, resulting in understeer. But by cutting the power to the yaw sensor, VDC becomes completely inactive, allowing the rear to come out under braking as well.

Having more direct control, you feel more connected to the car when you have VDC completely disabled. It's not for everyone, but if you take your car to the track frequently and want to learn the true limits of the car, this is a good mod. I'm still keeping VDC turned on while I'm driving normally, however.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:15 PM
racin

Track experience over the weekend with NO electronics left in the car showed NO difference from when I just pushed the button on our 03 track model. Wonder if year and model have something to do with it...
Old 09-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racin
Track experience over the weekend with NO electronics left in the car showed NO difference from when I just pushed the button on our 03 track model. Wonder if year and model have something to do with it...
Maybe it's the Track factor ? My Track behaves likewise...
Old 09-19-2005, 06:18 PM
oman

Are u RETARDED? heres how you disconect it. Buy a BASE model, You payed for that option you MORON ,its not a civic!!
Old 09-19-2005, 06:26 PM
potator

What exactly is VDC? Sorry I'm new. I know TCS is traction control system right?
Old 09-19-2005, 06:42 PM
spf4000

Originally Posted by oman

Are u RETARDED? heres how you disconect it. Buy a BASE model, You payed for that option you MORON ,its not a civic!!
Yep, I'm a moron who PAID for it, but found it too intrusive for the track so I installed a switch so I can turn it on and off at will. Sorry if that goes against your car modding philosophy.

By the way, don't ever replace any part of your car with aftermarket parts, cause then, you'd be a MORON just like me, cause you PAID for those tires, you PAID for those wheels, you PAID for that air intake, and you PAID for your exhaust, which apparently goes against your anti-moron philosophy.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by spf4000
Yep, I'm a moron who PAID for it, but found it too intrusive for the track so I installed a switch so I can turn it on and off at will. Sorry if that goes against your car modding philosophy.

By the way, don't ever replace any part of your car with aftermarket parts, cause then, you'd be a MORON just like me, cause you PAID for those tires, you PAID for those wheels, you PAID for that air intake, and you PAID for your exhaust, which apparently goes against your anti-moron philosophy.
Mouwahaha ! Well said
Old 09-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Kevin3

Originally Posted by spf4000

You can add to a base model, b/c then you are upgrading. However, if you disable features from a more expensive model, you are only downgrading.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:14 PM
LugZ

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
I was under the impression (this was back in '03) that the VDC would still intervene somewhat after you shut it off, but if you spun the wheels wildly after hitting the switch, the slip light would come on and stay on, indicating the system had totally shut down, and you could not re-engage VDC unless you shut the car off and restarted. Dunno about being able to do standing burnouts, though... I have not tried any of this myself...

The inconsistencies in stories here may be due to differences in model years.

Anyway, couldn't one just wire a switch into that box to kill and re-enable the system at will? I'd think that would be the ideal way to do it.
I have personal experience with that. I swore I thought I broke the car that night. I did a few donuts and the lights flipped on and wouldn't turn off until I rebooted the car. Ctrl+Alt+clutch
Old 09-19-2005, 08:23 PM
racin

I'm curious to whom the original, quite pointed, comment was aimed at.
Also, Kevin3, would you be downgrading by hitting the disable button that comes on the models that have Vehicle Dynamic Control? There are times when it is advantageous to disable the system. Even Nissan evidently felt so. And I believe that on certain models it completely disables the system, and find it curious that it is not done so on all models.

In my case, it has been a progression of the car to strictly track work, that has finally brought it to the point of using manual brakes with a dual master cylinder setup, so that I can control brake bias. With the stock brake setup, the car controls it with the electronic brake force distribution system, which is part of the ABS. Also, the system is a diagonal system, which precluded it's use with dual masters of differing size in conjunction with a balance bar. So, OUT IT ALL WENT. And my brakes have NEVER BEEN BETTER. Feel is much, much better, with linear brake force to pedal pressure application.

Respectfully not a moron,

Last edited by racin; 09-19-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:51 PM
oman

Flaming deleted. Keep it civil.

-MB

Last edited by MannishBoy; 09-19-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:56 PM
racin

If you were to learn some true driving skill, you would understand what I and others are talking about.
It's clear you are simply here to inflame, as you try to cover up some shortcoming you obviously possess. Have fun.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Kolia

Don't feed the troll racin

The VDC mystery is still complete. We'd need a inside contact at Nissan to clarify that !
Old 09-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by Kolia
Maybe it's the Track factor ? My Track behaves likewise...
Is there any technical data to support track models have a different VDC system? modules? Parameters? Don't think so....

Track experience is quite meaningless. I never experienced VDC problems at mosport or tremblant or even Mecaglisse... I understand VDC is more intrusive the more you are out of "parameters", the more it sense you are screwing up, the more severe the intervention will be. You could actually be driving at the limit of traction with VDC on and without it intervening... track is a poor test as you should drive smoothly and within the limit of traction at all time.

Now... series of 360degree 1st gear, redline donuts... is another story
Drifting would be a good test as well... and I don't mean a few degrees tailfising out of a corner...

Last edited by Nano; 09-19-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:11 PM
racin

Kolia, yes, I think you are right. I am curious, for my own knowledge, to have a difinitive answer. I'll look a bit further into this.

Last edited by racin; 09-19-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:15 PM
racin

Originally Posted by Nano
Is there any technical data to support track models have a different VDC system? modules? Parameters? Don't think so....

Track experience is quite meaningless. I never experienced VDC problems at mosport or tremblant or even Mecaglisse... I understand VDC is more intrusive the more you are out of "parameters", the more it sense you are screwing up, the more severe the intervention will be. You could actually be driving at the limit of traction with VDC on and without it intervening... track is a poor test as you should drive smoothly and within the limit of traction at all time. (drifting is another story).

Oh, I've done all sorts of weirdness in the Z, including some off road/clay/mud stuff with the VDC turned off. NO intervention.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by racin
Oh, I've done all sorts of weirdness in the Z, including some off road/clay/mud stuff with the VDC turned off. NO intervention.
I've done some dirt drifting on the Z last weekend as well. No VDC issues.

But I had the SLIP light come on (and stay on) doing perpetual drift around cones. If it's not related to VDC, why did the SLIP light come on?

Last edited by Nano; 09-19-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:24 PM
spf4000

Originally Posted by Nano

Track experience is quite meaningless. I never experienced VDC problems at mosport or tremblant or even Mecaglisse... I understand VDC is more intrusive the more you are out of "parameters", the more it sense you are screwing up, the more severe the intervention will be. You could actually be driving at the limit of traction with VDC on and without it intervening... track is a poor test as you should drive smoothly and within the limit of traction at all time. (drifting is another story).

Numerous magazines have done lap time comparisons between having the VDC on, VDC off, and VDC completely disabled, and they show that the VDC is highly intrusive when trying to drive at the limit. The VDC is meant to be a safeguard, so it's threshhold is set well before the limits of the car. Quite frankly, if you didn't sense VDC kicking in at the track, you're either driving well within the adhesion limits of the car, or you're simply not recognizing the sensation of the VDC kicking in.

While you're absolutely right in saying that you have to drive smooth to go fast, it does not mean you should drive so slow that the tires do not start to brake loose. Going fast on the track requires some tire slipping. Believe it or not, "driving on rails" is not the fastest way around a track. Tires have optimum gripping force around 6-8 degrees of slip. Please a book dedicated to racing and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: how do you disable vdc completly?