Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

how do you disable vdc completly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 09:27 PM
spf4000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nano
I've done some dirt drifting on the Z last weekend as well. No VDC issues.

But I had the SLIP light come on (and stay on) doing perpetual drift around cones. If it's not related to VDC, why did the SLIP light come on?
That's actually one way to disable the VDC. By doing a couple of donuts, the VDC turns itself completely off. I'm guessing that they put that feature in there for people who want to intentionally do donuts. I just put a switch on it so that I don't have to do donuts every time I want to disable the VDC.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by spf4000
Numerous magazines have done lap time comparisons between having the VDC on, VDC off, and VDC completely disabled, and they show that the VDC is highly intrusive when trying to drive at the limit. The VDC is meant to be a safeguard, so it's threshhold is set well before the limits of the car. Quite frankly, if you didn't sense VDC kicking in at the track, you're either driving well within the adhesion limits of the car, or you're simply not recognizing the sensation of the VDC kicking in.

While you're absolutely right in saying that you have to drive smooth to go fast, it does not mean you should drive so slow that the tires do not start to brake loose. Going fast on the track requires some tire slipping. Believe it or not, "driving on rails" is not the fastest way around a track. Tires have optimum gripping force around 6-8 degrees of slip. Please a book dedicated to racing and you'll know what I'm talking about.
I do sometime forget to turn VDC off when entering the track. And believe it or not I can get slip angle with VDC on without it intervening.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Nano

That's actually one way to disable the VDC. By doing a couple of donuts, the VDC turns itself completely off. I'm guessing that they put that feature in there for people who want to intentionally do donuts. I just put a switch on it so that I don't have to do donuts every time I want to disable the VDC.
You don't understand.

VDC was disabled... I was doing a perpetual drift around a circle of cones(skidpad). At around 360 degree into drift, the slip light would come on. And car would stall just as if VDC kicked in. SLIP light stayed on and couldn't be switched off.

I've done perpetual drifts around skidpads with a few cars, I'd know if it was me or the car.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:37 PM
racin

Perhaps the slip light comes on as a function of the computer showing a warning. If it was INTERVENING at that point, I think you'd know it. Displaying that something is happening is different than doing something about it. The VDC intervention is very harsh, as is the simple traction control. With the turbos, if I drive with any enthusiasm at all, I'd have to turn VDC off. Even just for straight line stuff, or risk potentially dangerous intervention as I entered an intersection, let's say. To have it pause the car at that point was nerve wracking. I feel pretty confident saying that your slip light would be accompanied by a harsh adjustment if it was actually trying to correct anything.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:40 PM
racin

Hmmm, Nano. Didn't see your post just above my last one. That is just weird. What is your build date? What model? Were you able to continue your drifting with the slip light on after the initial hesitation?

Last edited by racin; 09-19-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:45 PM
spf4000

Originally Posted by racin
Oh, I've done all sorts of weirdness in the Z, including some off road/clay/mud stuff with the VDC turned off. NO intervention.
Next time you're in a Z with its VDC intact (but in the off position), try going into a turn just a tiny bit faster than what you're normally used to, then use trail braking into the turn. The tail should come around, but VDC intervenes and pulses the brakes to prevent the rear from rotating. It's great for people who aren't comfortable with the sensation of the rear braking loose under braking, but after driving less electronically controlled cars, I realized that it feels better without the computer aids.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:49 PM
spf4000

You don't understand.

VDC was disabled... I was doing a perpetual drift around a circle of cones(skidpad). At around 360 degree into drift, the slip light would come on. And car would stall just as if VDC kicked in. SLIP light stayed on and couldn't be switched off.

I've done perpetual drifts around skidpads with a few cars, I'd know if it was me or the car.
Sorry, I didn't explain myself well enough. While you're in the VDC off position, if you do a donut, the slip light comes on and stays on. Did you try doing the donut again once the slip light came on and stayed lit? You'll notice that you're able to do the donut without the VDC kicking in again (unlike the first time).
Old 09-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Nano

that's the Electronic brake distribution (EBD) which is indenpent from VDC from what I understand. Disabling VDC(with the button) does not disable EBD... someone correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited by Nano; 09-19-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:53 PM
spf4000

I do sometime forget to turn VDC off when entering the track. And believe it or not I can get slip angle with VDC on without it intervening.
True, when you have VDC on, you can get *some* slip angle without the VDC kicking in, but not under hard acceleration or braking.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Nano

Sorry, I didn't explain myself well enough. While you're in the VDC off position, if you do a donut, the slip light comes on and stays on. Did you try doing the donut again once the slip light came on and stayed lit? You'll notice that you're able to do the donut without the VDC kicking in again (unlike the first time).
No didn't try with the SLIP light on as I thought something was wrong... Both times it killed my drift when the light came one. Gave up after that
Old 09-19-2005, 10:03 PM
spf4000

that's the Electronic brake distribution (EDB) which is indenpent from VDC from what I understand. Disabling VDC(with the button) does not disable EDB... someone correct me if I'm wrong
From the website:

EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution)
Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) is another ally, adjusting the brake force distribution when there is additional weight in the rear of the Z®, such as cargo or a full tank of gas, to help provide better composure of the vehicle while braking.

It's not a device to control under/oversteer state. It's not what I'm talking about.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:07 PM
racin

Next time you're in a Z with its VDC intact (but in the off position), try going into a turn just a tiny bit faster than what you're normally used to, then use trail braking into the turn. The tail should come around, but VDC intervenes and pulses the brakes to prevent the rear from rotating. It's great for people who aren't comfortable with the sensation of the rear braking loose under braking, but after driving less electronically controlled cars, I realized that it feels better without the computer aids.
I've done this THOUSANDS of times without any intervention. I trail brake 3 times a lap at Sebring alone. And few cars are naturally looser than mine (unfortunately) at the moment. The only thing that has been mentioned that I have not done is the 360 degree drift for a full 360+ degrees on asphalt. I guess the radius of the circle would be good to know as well.

Perhaps we should be asking about front to rear tire height variances, as well... I use a 245-645-18 slick up front right now, and a 295-660-18 slick in the rear. Only 15mm of tire height difference.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:12 PM
racin

that's the Electronic brake distribution (EBD) which is indenpent from VDC from what I understand. Disabling VDC(with the button) does not disable EBD... someone correct me if I'm wrong
EBD is part of (a function of) the ABS system. I originally was hoping I could do away with it alone if it had a controller, but it does not function as a stand-alone unit. And I couldn't keep the ABS because of the diagonal circuit structure that it uses. And because it is involved with the ABS, it indeed is NOT turned off with VDC.

Last edited by racin; 09-19-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Nano

It does do that to me with VDC OFF... I thought it was EBD or the electronic LSD.... or VDC maybe (BUT IT'S OFF)... Abusing trailbraking will make car snap back straight. No way of sending the tail out while braking hard. Everytime I try, past a certain point car snaps back strait, gets all jerky (from brakes doing weird shi*t) and understeers like crazy

Last edited by Nano; 09-19-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:01 AM
ChunKy350Z

will guyz i got a 05 track .. and when i turn the VDC OFF ... it's really off !! and it's never kix in !! donuts .. drifts .. 180ْ .. it's just off ????? or that i didnt feel the intervenes
Old 09-20-2005, 04:19 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where were you guys while I was online !?!

Yes, VDC does allow for some slip angle. As soon as you try to counter steer in a slide, it will kick in. I've forgotten it a few times also.

Now, if with VDC turned OFF you have a hard time to trail brake, this is possibly due to the ABS working on the wheels. ABS will certainly prevent the car from rotating. It is some form of electronic intervention, but it's not VDC, it's ABS.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:01 AM
DayBlueZ

I hate to ressurect this thread but, i do not have any harness under my console that even remotely looks like what you guys are talking about. I have a harness that is not connected to anything and the white harness that is for the flashers and heating the seats.
I have an 04 touring. Is it located somewhere else? or am i overlooking it?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:15 AM
spf4000

It's right between the harnesses for the hazard light and the shifter. There should be a small box-like object, and a big harness that goes into it. Unfortunately, I'm in Japan right now so I can't take a picture of it.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:57 AM
cupcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Enthusiast model, which like the Base model it does not have VDC. The Enthusiast does have TCS however, which is a *very* clumsy attempt by Nissan at traction control IMHO.

I once experimented at an autocross and the car is undrivable with it on and on a 100 second track 2 to 3 seconds slower!! The only potential benefit I see to the system is perhaps snow and ice situations which are not too frequent in San Diego!!!

I would love to permanently disable the system.

Does the Enthusiast also have a connector under the console that can be disconnected to turn off the TCS permanently?

Jason do you know?????
Old 10-12-2005, 08:00 AM
DayBlueZ

I don't have anything between them. Does an Auto touring model have it?
Or is TCS what i have instead?
I don't have VDC.

Quick Reply: how do you disable vdc completly?