Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Please give honest opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 08:08 AM
TEDT350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please give honest opinions

I know many of you are die hard Nissan fans and will defend the 350Z and everything about it, heck I am a 300ZX owner and I love my car and brag about it whenever people ask me questions about its strengths and weaknesses...
The thing I am concerned about and want opinions is to help my indecision about purchasing the new 350Z and how it will compare in terms of reliability (not being a lemon, etc) because I have driven my current '91 300ZX NA for a total of 233,000 miles without changing a thing on the car other than routine maintanence (oils, tires, etc) and the damn thing is still running great...
Do any of you think this new Z will live up to these kind of expectations or is this going to be a car that will lose the kind of qualities that made the previous Z such a great car...
Also would it be best to wait and see if this car will be improved upon in the next year or is this as good as it gets as far as "factory" goes and not regarding aftermarket upgrades?
I hope I can be convinced to buy one but I am thinking to spend more money 10 to 20 grand more for something that will give me more value/luxury/satisfaction but I am doubting that any of the other sports cars in this range will give me the value/performance/etc that I am looking for...
I greatly appreciate opinions from new Z owners and even more appreciation for owners that have both the new and previous model. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:17 AM
wfd157

Come on man, you don't need anyone's opinion on that. The proof is in the pudding, you said you have well over 200,000 miles on your 300zx. The 350z is built as good or better than the previous one, not worse. Nissan would not wait this long between models to build a "lemon".
Old 12-23-2002, 09:19 AM
zogan

I have had both. The 300zx z32 was a very nice design even for today’s cars, but the 350z is great car for tomorrows cars. I have no regrets w/ the new body style, it has so many little cool options. People's jaws drop when I drive by. Great design. Pictures don't do it justice. The inside of the car is perfect, no complaints. There is so much more to list, the little things add up. There only a few things I don't agree with, for instance the exhaust doesn't sound aggressive enough in my opinion, but that is from the inside--I heard it from the outside and it wasn't too bad at all. I think the car should feel more like 287 HP. The acceleration is real clean and efficient, but I am used to turbo inducted cars that "FEEL" like they suck you back in your seat more. According to all the stats, they are just as fast. I'll put it to you this way, you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:43 PM
lemans

Smile Honest Opinion

Ted,
I owned a 90 300Z until I was rear ended and it was declared totaled inOct. I had no intention of bying a new car because I was happy with 300z. had just repalced stero system in August. I bought thta first year model with no regrets.
After test driving other cars such as Z4 and s2000 I came right back to new Z. Altough I have only had it 2 weeks I am not 1 bit sorry. it handles great and power is fine. I have even come to like the glove compartment location in rear. oNCE i GOT USED TO IT, FOUND it has become easy to get to from driver's seat. Have my bOSTON SPEAKERS FROM 300XZ IN 350Z. sOUNDS FINE BUT WILLBE ADDING AMP AND CHANGE OUT hu EVENTUALLY.sorry not a good typist and my keys stick. H
bottom line, it handles great and is fun to drive.
For what it's worth, I have been driving 2 seater sports cars since 1970. I came to GA in 2000 but was in California most of those years. Will be heading back when plausible.
Enjoy your new z

Please give honest opinions
I know many of you are die hard Nissan fans and will defend the 350Z and everything about it, heck I am a 300ZX owner and I love my car and brag about it whenever people ask me questions about its strengths and weaknesses...
The thing I am concerned about and want opinions is to help my indecision about purchasing the new 350Z and how it will compare in terms of reliability (not being a lemon, etc) because I have driven my current '91 300ZX NA for a total of 233,000 miles without changing a thing on the car other than routine maintanence (oils, tires, etc) and the damn thing is still running great...
Do any of you think this new Z will live up to these kind of expectations or is this going to be a car that will lose the kind of qualities that made the previous Z such a great car...
Also would it be best to wait and see if this car will be improved upon in the next year or is this as good as it gets as far as "factory" goes and not regarding aftermarket upgrades?
I hope I can be convinced to buy one but I am thinking to spend more money 10 to 20 grand more for something that will give me more value/luxury/satisfaction but I am doubting that any of the other sports cars in this range will give me the value/performance/etc that I am looking for...
I greatly appreciate opinions from new Z owners and even more appreciation for owners that have both the new and previous model. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:14 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it should be mentioned not every 300ZX lasted like yours.... Im sure you know that.

Im sure some if not many 350Zs will last over 200000miles. but not all. **** happens man. now if your asking is this a shitty car that will definitly break? no, it can certainly last, but nothings infallable. you wont be disappointed by it tho.

anyway thats my honest opinion, I wont sit here and say your 350Z will go 200000miles without a problem in the world. you can gauge somewhat by maximas and altimas which do well. but thats the best we have.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:36 AM
Electro Z

Default ITS WORTH IT!

After all things are said and done.. as a NEW nissan owner ( never owned a Nissan/Datsun before ) I totally love the fit , finish and styling of this Z.

All the best!

EZ
Old 12-24-2002, 06:26 AM
Twizt

I was not a die-hard Z fanatic prior to buying my 350z in September. Okay, maybe the fanaticism started in March, when I ordered it.
I am now! Heck, I get chills just from watching the Run!
There are a ton of good things to be said about the new Z. And there are a few bad things inherent in any new design.
But there is no doubt the good outweighs the bad in this design.
The new Z is fast, handles well, and has styling like almost no other car out there.
I would have a difficult if not impossible time replacing this car if I lost it tomorrow. Unless it was with another Z.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:16 AM
Michael-Dallas

If reliability and refinement are your main concerns, then it's never a good idea to get the first model year of ANY car.

However, bear in mind that the VQ35DE is used in over half of the Nissan/Infiniti lineup and VQ motor has been around for a while after the VG. And if all else fails, then the VQ has a timing chain -- more expensive and tricky timing belt maintenance intervals.

Michael.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:49 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default Time to let go...

<------- I own and drive my 1990 TT ... I will certainly miss her when I finally get my new Z.