Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I justified in being really pissed here? dealer bodyshop rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 06:29 AM
SimplyJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I justified in being really pissed here? dealer bodyshop rant

I had my car in for bodywork this summer on an insurance claim. I take public transportation every day so I figured I'd let them take their time and do it right the first time. I expressed this to the bodyshop manager (who knows a friend of mine) explaining i've had bad experiences with bodyshops before and am very picky as to the bodywork performed, so I'd give him some time in order to ensure that it was perfect when I picked it up. Just for reference, this bodyshop is a Nissan bodyshop and is about an hour away from where I live.

Well, fast forward 6 weeks and it is supposed to finally be ready... Since I need to pick it up during working hours, I take off work and take a bus up to the shop. I get there and the car is not ready and have to wait 4.5 hours in the waiting room before it was "ready."

I walk outside to take a look at the finished product and there are lots of problems. The paint on the front bumper was all ****ed up due to them not baking the polyurethane properly, there were scratches left all over the car, they completely forgot to repair/repaint the rear bumper cover, orange peel, and the car makes a squealing sound upon startup, etc.

I point all these out to the manager and he says I need to bring it back in a couple weeks and they'll repair everything... "he always stands behind his work, etc," and he'll set me up w/ a shop loaner.

Fast forward to yesterday, I go drive an hour and a half in traffic to drop this damn car off just to find that the loaner car is a beat up 89 cutlass cierra. The bodyshop manager isn't there anymore and there is nobody else to talk to (they left the keys and paperwork with the sales guys). Meanwhile, my schedule is very hectic between school and work and I don't have the time to come back another time... I planned my week around dropping the car off. So i suck it up and take the damn POS.

I'm planning on calling up this afternoon and expressing my frustration. I've been more than accomodating through this entire process and feel like i've just been taken advantage of here. So now I need to drive up to NY tonight in this POS car that shakes and floats around on the highway... the damn thing doesn't even have cold A/C nor a CD player. </rant>
Old 10-06-2005, 06:47 AM
dcmidnight

Sounds like a load of BS to me. BTW where is this place so I dont end up taking my car there.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:47 PM
DZ2005

Oooooh man, I would have GONE OFF! By the time I got done threatening with the BBB and Nissan NorthAmerica, they would end up payin me to work on my car! All joking aside tho, that is total BS and I would be f***in pissed!
Old 10-06-2005, 01:15 PM
CLETUS

I hope you recorded the mileage on the z before leaving it..........
someone may be "borrowing" your car while you are "loaned" theirs. didn't you say this body shop was an hour away from your house??????? maybe your "friend" who knows this owner can swing by and check on your car one day for you..........incognito

i feel your pain man, body shops are more and more hard to find that will do a good job, take pride in their work and return a car as promised, when promised. good luck!!!

maybe you should just call NNA and see what their policies are for loaners and fixing a paying customer's vehicle (i understand its insurance but they get paid either way).
Old 10-06-2005, 01:25 PM
SimplyJ

I spoke w/ the bodyshop guy several times today. He assured me the car will be ready tomorrow. I reminded him several times that it must be perfect and to go over every inch of the car personally. I'm picking up the car sat and if it is not perfect then I'm going to flip the f*ck out. Like I said previously, I don't use the car on a regular basis (and I've checked the mileage - they haven't been abusing it) and I just want the car done right. If it is indeed perfect I'll let this slide. I guess we'll see whats up sat
Old 10-06-2005, 02:02 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This post is in serious need of some photos.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:24 PM
nashjam

you didn't take it to Pallone Nissan by any chance did you. I had once made that mistake. Horrible service and even worse quality control.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:51 PM
SimplyJ

Originally Posted by davidv
This post is in serious need of some photos.
in all honesty none of the issues were so bad that you'd notice them until pointed out (except for the rear bumper scratches - but even they were relatively minor). i am just pissed about their quality control that they let these things go unnoticed... and that they gave me an 89 cutlass to drive.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:51 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This wouldn't by any chance be the Brown's Nissan body shop in Arlington would it, Jason? If so, I feel your pain. They painted my back bumper several times before I finally got pissed and just said "give me my damn car back." They never matched the paint properly and to this day, my rear bumper is a shade darker than the rest of the car. Worst part of it was that the bumper needed to be painted because the dealership damaged it putting my spare tire back in the trunk. A-holes.