Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, changing a shift **** wouldn't have done it. You would have had to done something like:

Downshifted into 1st at a speed too high for the gear.
Missed a downshift and grinded it or bent it. You can do this if you don't press the clutch all the way in and you are rolling to a stop trying to find first. Say at a stop sign or stop light.

Or, sometimes heat itself will do it. That is generally when there isn't enough lube getting to it. That could happen if fluid is contaminated or low.
We have also notice the it is important to take it easy the until the tranny warms up a bit. If you don't the overnight drain off and dry syncro is more likely to catch,bind and bend. At least the is my exprience with a lot of the manual transmissions out there.
Best just to have a transmission expert take a listen to it.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by mc350z
i just asked about the **** change because the dealership was twisting the shifter poll screwing the **** on.

basically its a whine sound getting louder as the revs increase. now i know most first gears whine more than the others but lets say i go up to 6000 rpms and press the clutch i get a reverse whine sound like something is unwinding. every other gear is fine i mean someitmes when the car sits over night it might grind to 2nd

by the way this is a 008 tranny my first one was replaced becasue of 3rd gear grind the car has 16K miles on it and the 008 tranny has only 2k on it

I think I know what it is. The aftermarket shifter **** believe it or not is vibrating causing the problem. To check this, take it off and drive like you did before. I had the same thing with the factory **** on that short shifter. I think vibration might be in play here.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:06 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by dan_csulb
Nissan wont replace this?....
I'll let the Nissan mechanic test.
From what I heard, Nissan dealer is more than happy to replace this for you. They make money off nissan.
You maybe in for a shock at what nissan will not honor under the warranty.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:17 PM
NzZ

My dealer basically told me that he will only look at a tranny if it grinds (sounds are not enough) and if it does it every single time it's placed in a certain gear. Also denied any knowledge of problems with the trannys in 350Zs. Hope yours are more accomodating.

NzZ