2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Please Help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 09:55 AM
TheOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help...

Here we go...
My parents are helping out with me with a decent downpayment as my last three xmas presents and last two bday presents. I want to get a 350z but they wont help me out if i do get this car. They dont want me to get a 350z because they dont like nissan (I wish i knew why) they think their cars are unreliable and unsafe. They rather if i spend that much on a Nissan that i might as well buy a bimmer. They think that Nissan will "fall apart" and that their just bad cars. i need help, what do i say? is there any "evidence" that the 350z is reliable and safe car meaning has it been thru the crash testings yet etc etc? I know its a great car because of the power and looks and everything but i need something that i can show/tell my rents that the car is reliable and safe...that nissan is a good company...

kip
Old 12-27-2002, 10:33 AM
BigBadBuford

Although I don't really like consumer reports, they always rate Nissan highly and in the last year none of their cars were listed on the "Least Reliable Cars" list while at least 1 BMW was (Z3). I've had a few Nissans and they have always been great and trouble free, and if they do break the parts are a heck of a lot cheaper than BMW parts. In terms of safety a BMW would probably come out on top, but Nissans are not death traps. I haven't seen any official safety ratings on the Z yet, but from seeing the accidents some Zs have been involved in and knowing no one was hurt I am very impressed.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:44 AM
k2we

I've owned datsun/Nissan products for over 30 years and have never had a major problem. My 1974 260Z had over 200,000 miles on it when I sold it and it had the factory clutch!! My 1995 Volvo 850 GLT has been plagued with minor electrical problems from day one. The way I see it, You can't go wrong with Nissan products. The new Altima is a real winner for the price. I'm 100% satisfied with my 350Z. I have about 4200 miles on it in a little over 3 months. It's only a weekend car..

Good Luck..

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY

Touring/6MT/Chrome Silver/Mats & side air bags
Old 12-27-2002, 10:59 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The worst ratings Nissan has is in their "service." I think the next worst is BMW. So your parents are right. . .hah. Not to sound rude but if your parents are fronting some money and dont like nissan, maybe you should let them at least have some say so. (Tell them Infiniti's are good, have great ratings and get yourself a G35C and save some money in the insurance dept. with the 4 seats)

Or you could just beg them for a Z.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:29 PM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

Your parents are helping so they do have some input. But that is beside the point.

I am a certified auto tech. I have been factory certified by Ford and Saturn for over 10 years. The Ford certification took over two years at 40 hours a week! No I am not currently an auto tech (broken back). I perform teir one tech support for one of the largest RBOCs in the nation (I wrote this part to validate my position, if it looks like bragging am I sorry as I feel very blessed to get the training I recived. Very few auto techs get this type of training.)

I own and have owned many Nissans in the last 25 years and the only reason I have gottened rid of them is I wanted something different. I have never been able to drive one to death. I have put over 200k miles on one Maxima with minior trouble. The only parts that have fallen off were knocked offed by poor driving by myself or others. Parts just dont drop off without cause.

You may ask with my auto training why do I own Nissans? I dont want to work on my daily drivers. I do want to get to work. Your parents may have your best intrest in mind but feeling that Nissans are a bad choice because of poor quality does not hold water. Saying GM cars are a bad choice due to quality I can support but not for Nissans. Your parents may feel the 350Z is a might too much for you. That is their call as after all they are helping you get a car. You will have to work together on this and I wish you luck. I would go for a Sentra SER or depending where you live a supercharged Frontier. Let them see how dependable a cheeper Nissan is then trade it in on a 350Z. Good luck and dont loose sight of your dreams. Only you can make them true.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:49 PM
mickey

Default To use parent's$ or not to use parent's $

Wow, what a lucky guy you are, have parent helping you out with your toy!
If they are contributing $, then you don't have much choice, go get the bimmer, it is an awesome vehicle.
But if 350Z is a must, then don't use parent's help.
Regards,
Old 12-29-2002, 11:06 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well the Z is on or in contention for every major award given out this year, including top 10 engines, where its been for the past 8 years.

reliability, it is near the top. above BMW I think.

not that you can argue this, but your parents are brainwashed by advertisments. the general public is star stuck by anything with a bmw or mercedes emblem. too bad neither can boast good reliability. whats the shelf life on them M3s? why do they have a extended warrenty again? hmmm odd.

and mercedes, they cant even get above the industry average for problems.

however you probably cant walk up to them and tell them this. but hopefully itll help you stick to what you want and know that you are making the right choice.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:31 AM
Gfactor

What car brand are you're parent's suggesting?

Personally you really can't go wrong with any of the new cars today and Nissan (Infiniti), Honda (Acura), Toyota (Lexus) are always at the top of the quality lists.

As far as safety all new cars have to meet much tougher standards today. I would think the 350 would be an exceptionally safe vehicle with it's design.

There may be some service issues, but that is mainly a function of the dealers.

Good luck,

George
Old 12-30-2002, 07:56 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best independent documentation you can provide your parents is the car issue from Consumer Reports. Go to a library & copy the ratings of cars. Japanesse cars have long since passed both American & European cars in workmanship & reliability.

You might also get copies of road tests from the car mags to show them.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:38 PM
TheOne

thanks for all hte great replies...i know what i want which is hte 350z and all i have to do is convince my rents that its a great looking and reliable car....i think im going to the library sooner or later and check out some mags to get some substantial information...thanks again.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:17 PM
Intrepid

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your parents are wrong. Nissan's are one of the most reliable and well built cars on the road. Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, Road and Track and Motor Trend all agree.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:20 PM
Gendo Ikari

I am curious to know...if your parents think Nissans are unreliable, what do they think IS reliable?
Old 12-31-2002, 01:30 PM
ericM

Thumbs down It would not work!

If you say, your parents are "helping you" with the down payment
I will conclude that you could not afford the car be it a bimmer or
a Z. What your parents do to their money is their business, but
if it's their money, they have a say. You have to be glad, they're
giving you a "big dough" to buy a car. Accept what they want,
since you need this infusion of cash to buy that car. Maybe,
they are millionaires and this is peanuts to them. But unless,
you say to them I can afford it all and will decide on my own,
It would not work!!!! Buy a cheaper car you can afford and
once you have enough saved, then get your Z.....
Old 12-31-2002, 05:05 PM
azjimbo

This is my 4th Z.That alone should tell your parents about Nissan and the Z-car.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:36 AM
TheOne

Default Re: It would not work!

Originally posted by ericM
If you say, your parents are "helping you" with the down payment
I will conclude that you could not afford the car be it a bimmer or
a Z. What your parents do to their money is their business, but
if it's their money, they have a say. You have to be glad, they're
giving you a "big dough" to buy a car. Accept what they want,
since you need this infusion of cash to buy that car. Maybe,
they are millionaires and this is peanuts to them. But unless,
you say to them I can afford it all and will decide on my own,
It would not work!!!! Buy a cheaper car you can afford and
once you have enough saved, then get your Z.....
i can afford the car because i have a steady job and have saved for it for hte past 3years (well just saving for a car) They are not rich, they are helping me only a with a decent amount of about 5 thousand...its my reward for not having to pay for school and my bdays and xmas's...i need their credit in order to buy the car...without them i cannot purchase any new car...

P.S. they think honda, bmw and cadillacs are reliable...i dont know what else really...ummm they like volvos too...i dont really know i guess ill ask..
Old 01-01-2003, 10:20 AM
drake3

They are right about Honda's. It is hard to kill a running Honda. I have 3 years experience with a new BMW. Very reliable, only minor problems taken care of under warranty.

But Cadillacs?? Wow, that one tells me your parents either don't read many long term reviews or they have had extremely good "luck" with Cadillac.

No experience with Volvo's, except you have a better chance of surviving a crash.

I have owned 2 Nissans before, my brother has 3 under his belt. No major problems either way. Combined we probably have 12 to 14 years owners experience. We service our cars regularly and take care of them. We like Nissans for the quality and reliability.

Good luck.
Drake.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:08 AM
mickey

Default Put $5,000 on raincheck

Hey TheOne, have you invite your parent to view this thread in our forum yet?
I think with all of the input by our Z brother&sisters here, it might be helpful in turning around their impression about Nissan.
Again, the ones with the $ makes the rule, don't take their $5,000 right now, since you said you have $, just go with your own but get parent to just co-sign(hopefully they will do that). Then after few years, with the Z still in great condition, this should be a living proof of reliability of the car, take the rain check of $5,000 from parent.