Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hey what happened to the performance trim?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005 | 09:39 PM
tonystark

Unhappy Hey what happened to the performance trim?

I was looking on the Nissan website and I noticed that the performance trim is no longer offered. What happened?!?!?!?!?!

I tried the search feature on this site, but it looks like the word “performance” was used a million times in the titles of various threads.

Nevertheless, if this subject was discussed, could you kindly point me to the right thread?

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2005 | 09:40 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Nissan dropped the Performance model for 06. Probably wasn't a hot seller, not sure though!

<<<<Charles puts flamesuit on!
Old 11-04-2005 | 09:52 PM
tonystark

Boy does that sucks. That tells me that they didn't think that my trim level wasn't worth much of a d@mn. That sucks. If anybody has an article on this? I would love to see their reasoning.
Old 11-05-2005 | 06:00 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by zand02max
Probably wasn't a hot seller

<<<<Charles puts flamesuit on!

Nissan is pushing the 350Z in a direction that I don't care for: adding more bells and whistles to the most expensive models, and deleting the “no frills” models. Some time ago Nissan did the same with the 300ZX: pricing itself out of the entry level sports car market. I suppose that the “more stuff is better” trend (TCS, VDC, navigation system, HID) is inevitable.
Old 11-05-2005 | 06:34 AM
A_16

Wasnt the performance basically a stripped down touring?
Old 11-05-2005 | 07:00 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic
Premier Member

With upgrades in other models there just was not enough of a difference to continue the Performance model.
Old 11-05-2005 | 07:13 AM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
With upgrades in other models there just was not enough of a difference to continue the Performance model.
Yep, what he said, . I love my performance though, it's got everything I need and nothing I don't (except maybe VDC, haha).
Old 11-05-2005 | 07:24 AM
lowrider

The difference between the Enthusiast and the Performance was VDC and 18" wheels. Now that the full line has 18s, if they kept the Performance the only difference would have been the VDC. Now that they added the GT model, the number of models in the line-up remains the same. Also, the price of the Touring was reduced this year, and since a lot of owners have been installing leather, the Touring is a natural progression up from the Enthusiast.

In short, IMO, Nisssan, did the right thing, more content for the same money.

Lou
Old 11-05-2005 | 07:35 AM
tonystark

Thanks for the chart. It breaks my heart to read it. But I still just don’t get it.

Yeah I understand the point that somebody made. Nissan is trying to move this car towards more upscale. I don’t understand that luxury stuff like the leather seats. You are not paying more for performance you are paying more for fluff. I mean if you want that, why not get a 4 door leather seats Honda accord? But why pay for something that does not translate to muscle or safety in a sports car?

It is good to have the base model. I mean some folks can only afford that level of trim and if they are really in to true sports cars, they should not be shut out of what is supposed to be an affordable sport car. That is the thing that separates Nissan from Honda and Toyota (and all American makers) – Nissan achieved a balance between true performance and price.

Isn’t the enthusiast model just a watered down version of the performance trim? (Not to insult anybody’s car.) Why did so many people go for the enthusiast trim over the performance? With the performance you get 18” wheels (instead of 17”); you get VDC (instead of sliding your rear when you corner); and you get a bunch more airbags (instead of hoping that you don’t hit your door too hard when you crash). If you didn’t want to pay for all of that stuff, why not just go for the base model to save a couple of grand?

By the way, I don’t like the roadster and I am glad to see that it is not selling. Maybe Nissan will get rid of it and figure out a way to add a sunroof to the coupes.

Last edited by tonystark; 11-05-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-05-2005 | 11:01 AM
skeleton jack

The 35th ann isnt even on the chart! Belive me there are no extra bells and whistles here. Just a floor mat, brakes, and wheels everyone will soon have.
Old 11-05-2005 | 11:32 AM
EdgeOfSanity

Originally Posted by A_16
Wasnt the performance basically a stripped down touring?
it was a track model without brembos, forged wheels, and the rear diffuser.
Old 11-05-2005 | 04:07 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by tonystark
Thanks for the chart. It breaks my heart to read it. But I still just don’t get it.

Yeah I understand the point that somebody made. Nissan is trying to move this car towards more upscale. I don’t understand that luxury stuff like the leather seats. You are not paying more for performance you are paying more for fluff. I mean if you want that, why not get a 4 door leather seats Honda accord? But why pay for something that does not translate to muscle or safety in a sports car?

It is good to have the base model. I mean some folks can only afford that level of trim and if they are really in to true sports cars, they should not be shut out of what is supposed to be an affordable sport car. That is the thing that separates Nissan from Honda and Toyota (and all American makers) – Nissan achieved a balance between true performance and price.

Isn’t the enthusiast model just a watered down version of the performance trim? (Not to insult anybody’s car.) Why did so many people go for the enthusiast trim over the performance? With the performance you get 18” wheels (instead of 17”); you get VDC (instead of sliding your rear when you corner); and you get a bunch more airbags (instead of hoping that you don’t hit your door too hard when you crash). If you didn’t want to pay for all of that stuff, why not just go for the base model to save a couple of grand?

By the way, I don’t like the roadster and I am glad to see that it is not selling. Maybe Nissan will get rid of it and figure out a way to add a sunroof to the coupes.
Every 350Z driver has different likes and dislikes, and different opinions concerning “value.” I respect every 350Z drivers' choice. Interesting that the most popular model is the Touring, but the most expensive is the Track.

BTW the Roadster numbers may be misleading: a Roadster owner may annotate his car as “Touring” or “Enthusiast” and not “Roadster.” Its a common error that makes the number of Roadsters appear deceptively low.

Last edited by davidv; 11-05-2005 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-05-2005 | 04:10 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by skeleton jack
The 35th ann isnt even on the chart! Belive me there are no extra bells and whistles here. Just a floor mat, brakes, and wheels everyone will soon have.
I’ll put one 35th Anniversary model on the chart just for you.
Old 11-05-2005 | 04:20 PM
usless_one

its still available in the canadian site ??/

http://www.nissan.ca/en/
Old 11-05-2005 | 04:46 PM
MeetJoeAsian

Originally Posted by EdgeOfSanity
it was a track model without brembos, forged wheels, and the rear diffuser.
does the rear diffuser help in any way? i was gonna get a G35C, and one of the options I was going to get was that aero package with the air diffuser....how much is it to add it to my Z if I didn't have it?
Old 11-05-2005 | 07:50 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
does the rear diffuser help in any way? i was gonna get a G35C, and one of the options I was going to get was that aero package with the air diffuser....how much is it to add it to my Z if I didn't have it?
The rear diffuser guides air under the car instead of the big fat OEM muffler acting as a brake. One minor problem that I can see is installing an aftermarket cat-back exhaust system. In many situations, you’d have to remove the defuser (it will not fit) and toss it in the trash.

Last edited by davidv; 11-05-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2005 | 07:52 PM
bodayguy

I got an Enthusiast because that's what was on the lot. Seems Nissan made a lot more of them. Its advantage, as I saw it, was a sticker under $30K. Had the Xenon lights, the traction control - and I planned on getting bigger wheels some day.
Old 11-05-2005 | 09:08 PM
skeleton jack

Ahh davidv. I have noticed your posts to be witty and sarcastic at times. Keep it up. and thanks for the chart thing.
Old 11-05-2005 | 09:46 PM
CelticPride2

In comparing Enthusiast vs. Performance sales, you also have to consider the fact that the Enthusiast has the 5AT available and the Performance doesn't. The availability of the 5AT automatically increases the size of the potential customer pool for the Enthusiast.
Old 11-05-2005 | 09:48 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by skeleton jack
Ahh davidv. I have noticed your posts to be witty and sarcastic at times. Keep it up. and thanks for the chart thing.

Quick Reply: Hey what happened to the performance trim?