Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Did you break your car in when you got it new?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Broke mine in as manual suggested. Didn't drive over 4K rpm until 1500miles. At 1500, I had Nissan change the oil to what it came with just to make sure all metal shaving etc were out of the motor. First free oil change. I looked at the oil and felt it. It was fine. No major metal chips or extra screws etc.... I gradually started to rev it to the redline. At 3000 miles I put in dino oil like what the dealer used and started to rev it hard. I made a few red line runs with the motor and a couple to the rev limitter to make sure everything got a good seating. Then at, 5500 miles I changed oil to Mobil 1. I changed the oil again at 10K and now I will change the synthetic oil every 5K. No oil is burning as far as I can tell. This thing runs great! Lots of torque.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:10 AM
paulsmansfield

I would never buy a demonstrator car, they get rung by literally everybody who sits in them. I took the demonstrator out for 3 hours with my wife, the dealer didn't mention anything about it still being in it's running in period, so I nailed it for 3 hours, it only had 300 miles on the clock when I picked it up. I then ordered a new one where upon picking it up I was told about the running in period.

NEVER BUY A DEMONSTRATOR!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:26 AM
atar350

haha, even some people have no conscience lol....I test drove an 06 EVO and it was in the back of my head the whole time not to redline it, it had about 14 miles on it, I punched it in first and second, but only went to about 4-5 rpm, and believe me, that was enough in that car, those things are quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick
Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 AM
bmxox

Originally Posted by paulsmansfield
I would never buy a demonstrator car, they get rung by literally everybody who sits in them. I took the demonstrator out for 3 hours with my wife, the dealer didn't mention anything about it still being in it's running in period, so I nailed it for 3 hours, it only had 300 miles on the clock when I picked it up. I then ordered a new one where upon picking it up I was told about the running in period.

I bought one with 80 miles on it and you know what, I saved $8,000 by doing so, and second, I drive the car harder than probably anyone else that drove it for those first 80 miles.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:23 PM
nickintempe

Originally Posted by paulsmansfield

I don't know if it's different in the UK, but in the States any car on the lot is bound to be test driven a few times before someone buys it. That way the consumer gets a chance to drive and fall more in love with the vehicle they're interested in, and the dealer can have a neglible amount of mileage on each car instead of getting stuck marking down a new car with lots of miles on it.

And let's face it, the dealers couldn't give a damn about the revs, even if they're riding in the car with you. They know that once you get a chance to open it up, it'll be that much harder to say no to buying the car.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:25 AM
lunartick13

My car had less than 3 miles when I took delivery, I know that those miles were no more than required for transport. When my car came to the Dealer I asked them to notify me right away and do not let anyone drive it, cause I know when I did the test drive I beat the crap out of that Demo. why not! I knew I wasn`t buying that particular car...and besides I had to make sure that the Z was everything tha car media said it was...I am so happy!!
Old 11-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Gryphin

lmao, I took my car off the lot with 9 miles on it... and drove it around for a bit.. took it off the dealership with 14 miles on it... then i broke it in keeping below 4,000, but going over 4,000 a little bit, but never redlining... changed the oil at 600 miles... then go a little closer to redline... 1100 rolled around i got a little closer... 1200 hit and i tapped that redline once and boy does this car MOVE hahah tapped it in 2nd gear shifted to 3rd and let off and shifted it up to 6th as i looked over at my speed, coasting i was going 80mph haha

Fastest i have taken the car too is 130-135? I cant remember, i was keeping my eyes on the road
Old 11-15-2005, 10:56 AM
thezedsled

By all means fellow zed heads, drive it like you stole it!

On a serious note though I am sure they recommend that for a reason. Either do as they say or buy the extended powertrain warrenty.