Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Warranty: Did I just get taken advantage of?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 PM
NTRIGUE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty: Did I just get taken advantage of?

My car is still factory stock without modifications. I have a 100k warranty and car is well under that!

A couple weeks ago I discovered that my trunk would not 'POP' open manually or with the key fob.

I dropped it off to Nissan and they discovered a bolt had become lodged in the release mechanism. The kid on the job took the trunk apart to discover it was only the nut jamming it. I was charged $198 for 3 HOURS of labor despite my warranty.

Did they misunderstand that I have a 100k mile warranty not just the 36k?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:39 PM
cessna

I'd go back and speak with the service mng....
Old 12-13-2005, 01:40 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Unfortunately, warranties are better telling you what they will NOT cover rather than what they WILL. The hatch opening mechanism was “adjusted” so that it will open. What does your warranty say about “adjustments?”
Old 12-13-2005, 02:32 PM
ANXIOUZ

Yeah, I think they might have you on a technicality. If something was "broken" then they prob would have fixed it for free. But if they can squeeze by with an "adjustment" as suggested above....you be screwed (no pun intended).
Old 12-13-2005, 02:51 PM
LIdrew

I had the same fix UNDER WARRANTY. It wasn't an adjustment but I believe there was aTSB for the hatch problem. It depends on the dealer. I had my Burnt orange leather drivers seat reupholstered UNDER WARRANTY! Make sure you ask them if it's covered before work is done and COMPLAIN if you don't like the answer.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:58 PM
NTRIGUE

Angry

Fack I signed everything already! Probably a mistake!

I have been on hold for 25 minutes (clearly oversea help) and the line just went dead

Calling back at this time.

I haven't modified at all and a bolt 'appeared' in the latching mechanism! How should I be responsible because this kid took everything apart instead of just jamming a flathead in the mechanism?!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:03 PM
apharmdb

It is a TSB. My dealer covers all of these under my extended warranty since I am over most of the low mileage restrictions. You should def go back to see if you can get your $ back. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:06 PM
ANXIOUZ

The TSB is for the latch springs not poping the hatch open. So if you click the button and the hatch pops up but is still stuck closed then they should fix it.

But it sounds like your hatch doesn't move at all? Or what?

"If you don't hear a 'clicking' sound (when pressing the button), this TSB does not apply."

Here is the hatch TSB: http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB04-042.htm

A faulty bolt is a faulty bolt. Moan and complain and maybe you can at least get a "credit" for future work or something. Keep calling Nissan directly if the dealer won't budge.

Last edited by ANXIOUZ; 12-13-2005 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Plazman888

Here's the link to the TSB. I had this problem with mine as well. You had to hold the trunk release button while lifting the rear hatch in order to open it. I was able to get it fixed for free. I question their honesty if they say the problem was because they discovered a bolt had become lodged in the release mechanism. It sounds like they may have skunked you.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:26 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Plazman888
Here's the link to the TSB. I had this problem with mine as well. You had to hold the trunk release button while lifting the rear hatch in order to open it. I was able to get it fixed for free. I question their honesty if they say the problem was because they discovered a bolt had become lodged in the release mechanism. It sounds like they may have skunked you.
NTB04042

Thanks. I think that you may have an out. A service bulletin is usually issued to fix deficiencies in “materials and workmanship” during the bumper-to-bumper warranty period. If you have an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty, then the repair would be covered. If the dealer did not check for a applicable service bulletin, then that is his error. Jumping the gun and contacting NISSAN is a bad move. Visit the service manager, and use this rational. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Ztalker

never never buy any extended warranty.....
the money you spend on the warranty could have been used to pay for something unexpected like that.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:46 PM
LIdrew

Originally Posted by Ztalker
never never buy any extended warranty.....
the money you spend on the warranty could have been used to pay for something unexpected like that.
What if what was unexpected costs more than the extended warranty price? Or if a combination of unexpected things happen?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:51 PM
LBCz33

Originally Posted by xcmpx
My car is still factory stock without modifications. I have a 100k warranty and car is well under that!

A couple weeks ago I discovered that my trunk would not 'POP' open manually or with the key fob.

I dropped it off to Nissan and they discovered a bolt had become lodged in the release mechanism. The kid on the job took the trunk apart to discover it was only the nut jamming it. I was charged $198 for 3 HOURS of labor despite my warranty.

Did they misunderstand that I have a 100k mile warranty not just the 36k?
If you don't have a Nissan extended warranty they dealership probably didn't know you had it. Even though you may purchase the warranty from the dealer that doesn't mean it is a Nissan warranty. Had a friend that had to ask his service advisor each time it went in for a service covered by his extended warranty so that they could call that company. You may want to double check...

Otherwise you may just have to file a claim with the extended warranty company and get reimbursed. Also, as someone mentioned if a part wasn't replaced, it may not be covered as it wasn't considered a part failure but rather a part adjustment... Good Luck!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:56 PM
LIdrew

If you buy a Nissan warranty, Shouldn't they have it in their computer system? I bought the GOLD. I took it in a few times (replaced tranny) and showed it to them on paper. But, one time they lost the paper. They should have it in the system still right? Sorry if I hijacked the thread.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:59 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call back and complain about it. Get manager on the phone if it comes down to that. If nothing gets fixed, call Nissan directly as someone mentioned. 1-800-Nissan1 1-800-647-7261. Good Luck and hope you get your money back.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:50 PM
nicolaycastro

Originally Posted by davidv
Unfortunately, warranties are better telling you what they will NOT cover rather than what they WILL. The hatch opening mechanism was “adjusted” so that it will open. What does your warranty say about “adjustments?”
Well in my opinion if this were the case, I would tell them I didnt ask for my hatch to be "adjusted", but rather replaced since it wasnt working.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:34 PM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just to clear some things up, the gold extended warranty is authorized at all dealers. Weather of not it covers a adjustment depends. but if you did buy it from the dealer and you are on good terms with them, i dont know why they charged you for it. best of luck!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:38 AM
paulsmansfield

you should have just bent over and let them screw you.

Should have been done under warranty
Old 12-14-2005, 04:58 AM
Lancaster

I don't understand why dealers are so **** about warranty work. It's not like they aren't getting paid for it. Why do they care who pays them? Seems like it would be easier to reflect the justifiable repairs as a warranty job and bill Nissan. Rather than trying to explain a fat invoice to a local customer, that had no intention of paying a $400 bill when he woke up that morning.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:18 AM
maxpowers

I think its because warranty work is closley scrutinized by head office (in terms of the numbers of hours charged). When dealers charge customers directly they can take a little more time.

Originally Posted by Lancaster
I don't understand why dealers are so **** about warranty work. It's not like they aren't getting paid for it. Why do they care who pays them? Seems like it would be easier to reflect the justifiable repairs as a warranty job and bill Nissan. Rather than trying to explain a fat invoice to a local customer, that had no intention of paying a $400 bill when he woke up that morning.

Quick Reply: Warranty: Did I just get taken advantage of?