Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Front plate delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002 | 10:36 PM
silverz

Default Front plate delete

Hi guys,
I thought I would remind everyone that live in states that don't require a front plate but ordered their new Z's in states that do, you need to tell the dealer that you don't want them to put the fron plate holder on the car. The front plate requires drilling into the bumper. Once they have put it on you're screwed and won't be able to take it off. Personally, I would rather have a smooth look to the front of the car. Just thought I'd remind everyone of that. Later dayzzzzzzzz
Old 07-01-2002 | 10:52 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

And I'd like to take a second to remind those of us who live in states which DO require a front plate, that you definitely should call your dealership and tell them that the deal is OFF if they defile such a beautiful car with such an ugly accessory!

My dealership knows better than to put that stupid bracket on (they've never installed them on a single Z they've sold), but as the buyer, you certainly reserve the right to ask for the bracket so you can "install it later" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

If a cop has the time to pull me over for not having a front plate, then I'd hope he could also tell me that all crime has been stamped out from the Hudson River to the Delaware Water Gap.
Old 07-01-2002 | 11:13 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict
Premier Member

I suggest that you work closely with your dealer and also find out who manages the PDI section of the dealership. Make friends but be frank yet polite about your request.

I wouldn't threaten the dealer with any verbage about canceling your car if they put it on. All you're doing is giving them an excuse to get your car and sell it way above MSRP.

Just my .02
Old 07-01-2002 | 11:20 PM
BILZ Z

For those of us that do live in states requiring front plates and choose to put the plate on, there may be some alternatives.

* Mount the plate below the open mouth of the grill, somehow, maybe even cut/bend part of the plate to reduce dragging on the ground.

* mount it within the grill area so as not to destroy the bumper.
Old 07-01-2002 | 11:53 PM
mattc

Originally posted by copat
If a cop has the time to pull me over for not having a front plate, then I'd hope he could also tell me that all crime has been stamped out from the Hudson River to the Delaware Water Gap.
Thanks for the laugh! I agree. Add Boston and NYC as well.

-MattC
350Z Touring, 6MT, Chrome Silver
Old 07-02-2002 | 12:01 AM
Scafremon

I previously researched this for CA. Your state's codes could be similiar.

Review the thread here
Old 07-02-2002 | 12:19 AM
jrreed350togo

Though I agree that it looks better without it, it looks even worse when you see guys driving around with it in their front windshield. Make the choice but if your state requires it don't give the cops another reason to pull you over besides going 100 in a school zone. It's really not that bad.
Old 07-02-2002 | 12:25 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool

Hey Jeff..now I'm following you...my dealer won't install the front bracket per my request..I have a friend that fabricates Harley parts that's going to make a bracket that fits in the grill area..I'll let you know how it works
Old 07-02-2002 | 12:26 AM
PistolPete

I live in a state which requires a front plate, and have been without one on my Jeep for three years. I bought a heavy duty bumper without holes for a plate and never put it on. I haven't been pulled over once because of it.

I see guys in other sports cars, the newer vettes especially, running without front plates pretty often. Cops have better things to do with their time.

I made sure "NO FRONT PLATE BRACKET" was written into my sales contract, and I plan to be there the day of delivery to make sure no one defaces my car.
Old 07-02-2002 | 01:00 AM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Originally posted by zwindsor
I suggest that you work closely with your dealer and also find out who manages the PDI section of the dealership. Make friends but be frank yet polite about your request.

I wouldn't threaten the dealer with any verbage about canceling your car if they put it on. All you're doing is giving them an excuse to get your car and sell it way above MSRP.

Just my .02
Perhaps I was a little emphatic in my use of hyperbole.

I agree -- be polite but firm. I'm sure any dealership would be happy to honor the request of the buyer. Just make sure you state your request before the car shows up and they pop holes in the front bumper!!!
Old 07-02-2002 | 01:04 AM
Scafremon

Originally posted by jrreed350togo
Though I agree that it looks better without it, it looks even worse when you see guys driving around with it in their front windshield. Make the choice but if your state requires it don't give the cops another reason to pull you over besides going 100 in a school zone. It's really not that bad.
I agree with you. I can't see myself driving around with a plate on the dash. Makes the car look like it is still being assembled. I also don't want to give the police an additional reason to hassle me. The primary purpose of my research was to be able to convince an uninformed dealer that there is no reason why they should think they have to install the bracket.
Old 07-02-2002 | 04:58 AM
SunsetZ

Default Front Plates

We have to have them here in Ohio. Why do any states require the front plate??

Old 07-02-2002 | 06:42 AM
mysteriumZ
Charter Member #101

does NY require front licence plate?
Old 07-02-2002 | 10:44 AM
nizl

Default Re: Front Plates

Originally posted by SunsetZ
Why do any states require the front plate??
Easy ticket.
Old 07-02-2002 | 07:33 PM
NiZZan
Charter Member #77

Default Change it...

If you live in a state that requires the front plate (like I do), you've got just a few months to get the law changed. I think the first step is Petitions I'll sign it. Who's with m?
Old 07-03-2002 | 09:10 AM
Subw00er

I left it off of my tt and have been stopped twice for it. both times I said it was a backordered part and that the dealer was a moron for meesing it up. one guy was like .. noticed you dont have a front plate.. ik now how you sports guys are, its ok. ..
Old 07-03-2002 | 09:27 AM
jran76

Default TEXAS

Texas has a similar law, but you can get away with it "secured" in the windshied. Many people do this with a suction cup (like a radar detector).

But, I will say this.... I have been driving around for 2 years in my Maxima (with wheels, loud exhaust, and such) and have never had a problem. Even the 1 or 2 times I have been pulled over, it has not been a issue. I do keep it under my front seat just incase (I can toss it up there unsecured). Needless to say, no front license plate for my Z....
Old 07-03-2002 | 04:12 PM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

Default Re: Change it...

Originally posted by NiZZan
If you live in a state that requires the front plate (like I do), you've got just a few months to get the law changed. I think the first step is Petitions I'll sign it. Who's with m?

I'm with ya.... I'm not putting that front plate on my car. They'll have to catch me first...