Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

If you have questions..

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 09:08 AM
kroams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you have questions..

Any questions you have for someone that has driven the 350Z ask them now at ZDriver.com. Carl is the guy in the Sports Z Magazine video doing the test drive and is willing to answer questions in the 2003Z forum.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:27 AM
kroams

Answers to my questions:

q: Would you describe the shifter vibration/noise as something that would become annoying with time?

a: Lots of vibration comes through the shifter and made the **** rattle at peak torque (4400RPM). Since these were not production models, it's possible there wasn't any goop (locktight) on the **** that would have calmed it down. I don't mind the vibration at all, but the rattling will have to go.

q:How did the clutch feel?

a: The clutch felt fine, maybe 25-30lbs (slightly heaver than an NA Z32, definitly not as heavy as a TT).

q: Did the brake petal feel firm (did it seem too touchy like some G35 complaints)? For non-track use would the Brembos be a complete waste of money in your opinion?

a: Brake pedel was very firm but not touchy, really good feel to it. Yes, the brembos are a complete waste regardless =P. If you are going on the track frequently, you'll want huge 6-piston racing setups anyway.

q: Considering Nissan worked so hard to get HP increases from the G35's 260 HP did it seem like Nissan left little room for HP improvements without FI?

a: There is room for more HP without FI, mainly in the exhaust (which is not a true dual system).

q: With the high belt-line am I going to look like a little kid driving this car since I am short (5' 6")??

a: Yes, you will be piloting a bathtub =P.

q: Handling wise did the 350Z feel too heavy because of its weight or did it feel tossable and agile?

a: It feels much more nimble and light than even a NA Z32, it's a very fun drive. As for completely tossable, I'll wait to answer that until I get it on the track.

q: When you said in the video that the 350Z didn't feel as quick as the Z32 TT was that because there was no sudden burst of speed (turbo) or did it feel truly slower than a car that would do 0-60 in 5.4? Would you describe it as "sluggish" like the newsweek article?

a: I wouldn't call it sluggish at all, deceptively fast is more like it. You stomp the pedle and brace your self against the wheel and there is no additional rush to unsettle you, so it feels unshockingly fast. I do believe the C&D numbers, 5.4 and 14.1.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:40 AM
SeedyRom

Yep, he's cruising the boards at Zdriver as well as 350ZForum.com
Old 07-03-2002, 09:46 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

It feels much more nimble and light than even a NA Z32, it's a very fun drive. As for completely tossable, I'll wait to answer that until I get it on the track.
This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for in the video when I could hear the engine roar, the tires squeal and see the scenery fly by! Anyway, thanks for answering questions on here and providing this kind of juicy detail to us 350Z-junkies. It's like serving a big fat steak to a starving man!
Old 07-03-2002, 05:22 PM
rai

There has been perhapse too much talk about how the Z was going to offer $50K performance for $27K price. I have a track on order am I going to be feeling like this is a $27K car tarted up to $35K, in other words is the over all package what you would expect to find in a car costing $26K? And the only high dollar feature is the engine?
Old 07-03-2002, 08:42 PM
SeedyRom

You already mentioned the performance/engine aspect but don't forget about the suspension, carbon fiber driveshaft, superior seats, 6-speed lightweight tranny, HIDs etc. You DO get a lot for your money when you sit down and compare options to other cars. We even had a bunch of Supra guys surprised at what a package it was and that says a LOT