Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

To Switch To Regular Gas Or Not???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:38 PM
lw3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cfdemarco
I put 87 in mine. With gas prices being as absurd as they are there's no way in hell I'm buying 93.
You need to sell your Z if you cant take care of of properly. The Z has a high compression engine(10:3:1 to be exact) and if you know anything about engines the compression ratio determines the octane you should use. Your trans am probably had a ratio of 8:?:1 which is very good for 87 but If it were mine i would still put 93 in it.

So if your engine stops running or starts perfoming poorly don't expect any mercy from nissan and dont post your problem on here.

I dont understand why people buy the cheap stuff if your only going to save 30 cent and will have problems in the long term. What the hell is 30 cent going to help if your car breaks down.

Last edited by lw3; 04-25-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:09 PM
cfdemarco

Originally Posted by lw3
You need to sell your Z if you cant take care of of properly. The Z has a high compression engine(10:3:1 to be exact) and if you know anything about engines the compression ratio determines the octane you should use. Your trans am probably had a ratio of 8:?:1 which is very good for 87 but If it were mine i would still put 93 in it.

So if your engine stops running or starts perfoming poorly don't expect any mercy from nissan and dont post your problem on here.

I dont understand why people buy the cheap stuff if your only going to save 30 cent and will have problems in the long term. What the hell is 30 cent going to help you if your car breaks down.
It's not a question of taking care of it properly. The engine does not absolutely require premium fuel. Sure, it will not operate to its peak performance when regular is used, but I can live with that, as the decrease in performance is too small to even notice. Using 87 will not destroy the engine. What percentage of 350Z owners do you think use premium fuel? Aside from the true 'enthusiests' such as some of the people on sites like these, probably not that many...but I'm sure that all of their engines have blown by now

And BTW, the compression ratio for the LS1 is 10:1:1, which would put it well within the range for premium being the desired fuel. Like I said, I put 87 in that car for almost three years, and it ran like a champ every day.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:19 PM
lw3

It's not a question of taking care of it properly. The engine does not absolutely require premium fuel. Sure, it will not operate to its peak performance when regular is used, but I can live with that, as the decrease in performance is too small to even notice. Using 87 will not destroy the engine. What percentage of 350Z owners do you think use premium fuel? Aside from the true 'enthusiests' such as some of the people on sites like these, probably not that many...but I'm sure that all of their engines have blown by now

And BTW, the compression ratio for the LS1 is 10:1:1, which would put it well within the range for premium being the desired fuel. Like I said, I put 87 in that car for almost three years, and it ran like a champ every day.
Time will tell.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Blue_Z

I put 87 in mine. With gas prices being as absurd as they are there's no way in hell I'm buying 93.
no comment
Old 04-26-2006, 12:48 PM
350ZZack

I'm sure it'll be just fine. I put 87 in my LS1 Trans Am for three years and it ran like a beast.

Seriously...it's not a Ferrari. It will run fine on regular.
100 Nissan engineers tell you Premium fuel for a reason. Long term abuse will show. I guess you're smarter than a collective knowledge of 600 yrs of college.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:56 PM
grifferjr

your engine will be fine running the lower octane. the Z has some technology in the engine (cant recall exactly what it is called now) that senses the lower octane and compensates to keep the engine from knocking. from what i was told, the way it does this is to inject more fuel per cycle (sorry i am not a technical guy so i have to use simple laymen's terms). what this amounts to is less miles per gallon. so in the end you are just hurting yourself cause you will be filling up more.

you may save 5-8 bucks at the pump, but more trips to the station will have you spending more in the end. i know this is true because i tested this when on a road trip, highway, so driving styles were the same. on the way there, 87 octane, got 18-20mpg. on way back, 93 octane, and i got 24-25 mpg.

its your dollar though.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Blue_Z

knock sensor
Old 04-26-2006, 01:05 PM
curnaco

Put premium all the time. No exceptions.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:09 PM
rich harris

More power to ya...If 87 works for you thats fine...I'll stick with what the manufacture states in the manual.....Premium fuel
Old 04-26-2006, 01:23 PM
NissanZfan

I'm sure it'll be just fine. I put 87 in my LS1 Trans Am for three years and it ran like a beast.

Seriously...it's not a Ferrari. It will run fine on regular.

Low grade gas is cheap, so everyone likes it. Is the most fast burning fuel you can get. It burns faster and hotter than the other fuels. It tends to burn unevenly and leave lots of deposits in your engine.

High grade gasoline is made of longer molecular chains. Gas is usually rated in octane's which is some what misleading (see below) because octane's are a 8 molecular group chain in the petroleum family. It is the slowest burning gas, giving you a longer, and more even power stroke. It also burns colder, which is especially important for those of you that live in hot areas or if your car is prone to overheating. Running high grade will keep it cooler. It also tends to burn more completely, leaving less deposits and not sending as much back out the tail pipe.

(not my words)
Old 04-26-2006, 01:46 PM
grifferjr

Originally Posted by IF350Z
knock sensor

WOW!!!! Thats the most technical name I have ever heard of!!! No wonder why I couldnt remember that!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:10 PM
cfdemarco

Originally Posted by grifferjr
your engine will be fine running the lower octane. the Z has some technology in the engine (cant recall exactly what it is called now) that senses the lower octane and compensates to keep the engine from knocking. from what i was told, the way it does this is to inject more fuel per cycle (sorry i am not a technical guy so i have to use simple laymen's terms). what this amounts to is less miles per gallon. so in the end you are just hurting yourself cause you will be filling up more.

you may save 5-8 bucks at the pump, but more trips to the station will have you spending more in the end. i know this is true because i tested this when on a road trip, highway, so driving styles were the same. on the way there, 87 octane, got 18-20mpg. on way back, 93 octane, and i got 24-25 mpg.

its your dollar though.
Hmm...so far, I've gone through about two tanks with the car, first tank I got about 19.4MPG, second tank about 19.8MPG, and that is 100% city driving.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:50 PM
dkorr

I tried putting 89 in mine... so far no problems. The salesman told me its fine to put 87 but I'm a little weary about what he says.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:14 AM
Hedotwo

Originally Posted by lw3

I dont understand why people buy the cheap stuff if your only going to save 30 cent and will have problems in the long term. What the hell is 30 cent going to help if your car breaks down.
Compression ratio is a big part of the equation but not the only thing to look at for octane ratings. Timing advance plays a large part in producing knock as well. The ECU is fed constant input from the knock sensor and will pull timing if it sees conditions ripe for pre-detonation. Not sure how fast the ECU adjusts nor how long it takes to restore the pulled timing, but I'm guessing it takes it's sweet time to restore and is quick to pull. I'm in the camp that says running regular grade won't hurt the engine but don't expect the same performance benefits of the full timing that Nissan engineered into the ECU.

I'm no expert and make no claims to be. My experience with knock comes from Harley tuning and finding that higher octane allows more aggressive timing but that even the highest octane can be overcome with too much timing to produce knock. Old Harleys aren't smart though and don't adjust with such new fangled things as knock sensors and fancy self-adjusting ECU's. You pick an advance and use the right gas accordingly. Compression ratio plays a large part too and is a big part of the same tuning. It's all about cylinder pressure and timing.

Feel free to disagree, but this is MHO. Btw, I run the highest octane gas I can get in my Z, but only because it's not my daily driver and mileage isn't important to me.

Rich
Old 04-27-2006, 04:56 AM
Gooey

i would put in the cheapst gas... i dont care much. ill just trade the car in within 3 years anyway. I have own high end luxury cars 3 times the price of my z yet i would still put in 87 ocatane. Theres just no point in keepin a car long term. Its a bad investment. Everyone knows that cars are the worse investments. Its just cheaper and easier if you switch up your cars every few years
Old 04-27-2006, 06:46 AM
maxpowers

WOW - I would question your logic here.

You think taking a massive depreciation hit (that every car experiences in its first 36 months) by replacing your car every three years makes more financial sense than owning one car for a longer period of time??

The marginal amount of money you will save on 87 octane will not offset the depreciation.

Originally Posted by Gooey
i would put in the cheapst gas... i dont care much. ill just trade the car in within 3 years anyway. I have own high end luxury cars 3 times the price of my z yet i would still put in 87 ocatane. Theres just no point in keepin a car long term. Its a bad investment. Everyone knows that cars are the worse investments. Its just cheaper and easier if you switch up your cars every few years
Old 04-27-2006, 07:20 AM
ECKZLNT

Getting a lower rated gas than recommended for some reason reminds me of a poseur. It's like getting a new huge plasma TV, and using rabbit ears for the signal. Sure it works, but if you're spendning so much on something, why only use some of its potential?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Counselor350Z

My 2003 Enth 350Z is almost 4 years old this August.. I have always put PREMIUM gas in it.. about .20 higher than regular.. Since i share the drive and ride with my other car.. I only fill up the Z about once every 3 weeks.. THEREFORE the prem. gas is about $100. MORE a year than regular.. I strongy believe that is well worth the extra small amount a year.. BUT each to there own.. THE extra performance I HAVE FOUND is well worth that extra $$$..

Quick Reply: To Switch To Regular Gas Or Not???