Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Uh oh, 280hp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 09:01 AM
roberto350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh oh, 280hp?

Uh oh. My neighbor is lead service technician at a Nissan Dealer here in San Diego. He just got the service CD for the 350z (like wiper blade sizes, oil, fuel capacities etc.) In the engine specs the car is listed as having 280HP from a service dyno. What the hell is this? Can someone explain why servicing documents might say this.

Other random facts:
The door lock remote units have already had a recall, and they are being changed out. The service dept has been equiped with a bunch of remotes because the old and new ones at the factory are getting mixed up and some Z's *may* end up with bad remotes.

His dept also got a bunch of boxes from NISMO and there are specific directions on them that they are not to be opened until pre-orders are starting to arrive.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:10 AM
roberto350z

what would it mean at the rear wheels. Like when a manufacturer says 287, does that mean that a dyno will say less cuz of drivetrain loss? And is it possible that the flywheel is 287 then the rear wheel are 280? I am concerned...
Old 07-07-2002, 09:14 AM
2003z

Default yes

if a manufacturer (nissan) says 287, thats at the crankshaft. If you put it on a rear wheel dyno, instead of a chassis dyno, it will be less. It is highly unlikely that it would be 287 at flywheel and 280 at wheels, even with cf driveshaft. best case would be 287-28.7 for ~258 at the rear wheels, with only a 10% loss.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:27 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by VQracer
usually cars have 10% drivetrain loss to the wheels. maybe it was an engien dyno. not a wheel dyno? if that is the case then that would be bad. but if it is at the wheels then it would eb really good. usually when people talk about dynos it means to the wheels.
In cars, drivetrain loss is usually closer to about 17%. The lowest I've seen is 13%, the highest 24%.

Manufacturers always quote at the flywheel.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:28 AM
BrianZ

Default Re: Uh oh, 280hp?

Originally posted by rpgonzalez
Uh oh. My neighbor is lead service technician at a Nissan Dealer here in San Diego. He just got the service CD for the 350z (like wiper blade sizes, oil, fuel capacities etc.) In the engine specs the car is listed as having 280HP from a service dyno. What the hell is this? Can someone explain why servicing documents might say this.

Other random facts:
The door lock remote units have already had a recall, and they are being changed out. The service dept has been equiped with a bunch of remotes because the old and new ones at the factory are getting mixed up and some Z's *may* end up with bad remotes.

His dept also got a bunch of boxes from NISMO and there are specific directions on them that they are not to be opened until pre-orders are starting to arrive.
I would not worry about this. I don't think the services guide was meant as a Z specification bible. They probably dynoed a test mule.

The factory service book for my Beemer is a hunk of crap. Usually when I fix things I forget the book and rely on my raw inate car-fixing ability!
Old 07-07-2002, 09:31 AM
blackSunshine
Charter Member #84

310+! woohoo.

really though it's probably a misprint or old 280+ info.

but... a service dyno would be wheels wouldn't it???? Who the heck takes the car apart to dyno the crank? I dunno, either way it has at the very least 287 I'm sure. They wouldn't overestimate the engine especially since the hp has been such a hot topic.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:14 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by blackSunshine
310+! woohoo.

really though it's probably a misprint or old 280+ info.

but... a service dyno would be wheels wouldn't it???? Who the heck takes the car apart to dyno the crank? I dunno, either way it has at the very least 287 I'm sure. They wouldn't overestimate the engine especially since the hp has been such a hot topic.
I agree, probably old info.
Manufacturers don't have to take the car apart to dyno the crank: they made the darn thing and before they put it together, it is already "apart." The department that designs/makes the engine dynos it integral to designing it.
I wouldn't say Nissan would overestimate. I'm hoping they've underestimated, however if you look they have overestimated before: the new Sentra being one notable example.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:35 PM
NJZ

Maybe Nissan underrated the engines just like Ford did for the new Cobras. They rated the engine at 390 hp and it was dynoed at 385 hp at the rear wheels.

And I know I may be pushing it a little too far but maybe Nissan will be the first manufacturer to actually quote it from the rear wheels!
Old 07-07-2002, 06:29 PM
LowFuel

Most likely it's just the minimum HP (at the crank) for service to be considered successful. I mean, if you took your car in complaining of power loss or something that effected HP, I doubt they would fiddle with it until it was exactly 287 again. 280, good enough, move it out. Next car.

Besides, every make of car rolling off the assembly line will have a small range that it's HP falls into, 287 is probably the average they expect to get. I've seen tons of dyno's from identical NSX's and they ranged about -3/+3% from the spec.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:02 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Uh oh, 280hp?

Originally posted by rpgonzalez
Uh oh. My neighbor is lead service technician at a Nissan Dealer here in San Diego. He just got the service CD for the 350z (like wiper blade sizes, oil, fuel capacities etc.)
I am truely amazed.

The members of this forum deserve a round of applause.

Do you guys see what I see?

This thread has already received almost a dozen replies, and not one person has asked for rpgonzales to get the CD from his neighbor, and burn them copies, or upload it to kazaa, or anything! No begging, no pleading, no posts in ALL CAPS...nothing. I think the 350Z pre-order species has taken a major step towards evolving back into something slightly resembling humans.

Of course, I don't think InternetAbyss has logged on yet this morning.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:08 PM
3rdpower

Remeber the idea is to keep the numbers low possibly for overquotes and insurance. I think we could be looking at 280 dyno rearwheel which is actually 307 hp at the crank. This keeps the Japanese agreement on hp marketing in line and again this is the same thing we saw in the previous Skyline... numbers put low but real tests show much higher results. 287 is that cut off point!