2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Waiting is killing me!! Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:14 PM
rightwinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waiting is killing me!! Need advice

Ok,

Here is the deal, I am buying a 350z off a guy. He hadn't finished paying for it, so today he overnighted the remaining balance of the car to the bank so he could get the title for it. This process take about 2-3 weeks according to the bank, and I really did not want to wait this long.(Primarilly because I wanted to drive the car to graudation)

He said he would sell me the car without the title if I wanted to, and when he gets the title I would just go get the car. I would however ask him to sign a bill of sale/receipt and I would do the same. I would also have copies of all the transaction documents including the certified check.

The question for you guys is...Will this impatience screw me. Can I get shafted by buying the car with out a title.

Please help me out

Thanks
Old 05-23-2006, 02:16 PM
C4talyst

I'm no authority, but when it comes to legal matters hardly anything is carved in stone. With a bill of sale and a receipt for the funds you gave him, I would think you'd be fine. If he fails to deliver the title, you should be able to get the car titled in your name using those documents. Might want to write up a more detailed sales agreement to accompany the other two documents.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:19 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Wait the couple of weeks. It could save you tons of heart ache.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:57 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rightwinger

He said he would sell me the car without the title
Not a wise idea.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:22 PM
minispider

you can not have a bill of sale with out the title. You must have the title transfered to you by the owner and this must be done at the DMV or a tags place. This is the procedure...I know because I just sold my car a week ago to an out of state person. I still owed $ on the car $16,500 to be exact, so him, out of good faith send me $500 via Pay-pal so I would not sell the car...then I requested a pay out thru BMW financial which they faxed to me and I in turn faxed it to the guy in California ( i'm in fla.)..he sent the $ via Fed-ex overnight with a certified check paid to the BMW financial people and he also sent a pre-paid Fed-ex overnight envelope enclosed with the check so they could send the title to him instead of me, mind you, the title still under my name,(there's a part in the pay out fax where they request an address where the title is suppossed to go it doesn't have to be your address), we started this process on a friday, by tuesday the check was clear and friday he had the title, so the process only took a few working days,following Monday he flew to ft lauderdale with the title in hand and we went to the local courthouse (tags section) and I transfered the title to him in front of the clerk and he paid the taxes due for the sale,plus when he registers the car in cali he must pay the rest of the taxes since is higher overthere, you must have proof of insurance already for the car so they can give you the temp.plates and then you sign the bill of sale which it frees the seller of any wrong doing while this car is being registered by the new owner. (you can download the form thru your local DMV web site). I took my profit $$ which he gave me in cash and he drove away in his "new" car....(he got a speeding ticket when he was reaching Alabama )....and that my friend is how you do it....bottom line....no title no sale.....

Last edited by minispider; 05-23-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:44 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:46 PM
boma

Wait or you have a good chance of getting ripped off.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:09 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's a nice guy and you trust him, go for it. I sold my FX35 to a guy in CA and it was a good three weeks before I was sent the title and sent it off to him. He flew in, paid me, I gave him a bill of sale, he took the car, I paid the car off, was mailed the title and in turn mailed it to him; simple. You just can't get the car registered without the title, so just have him leave his plates on it so you don't have any cop issues (and try not to get pulled over). It may not be the "right" way, but if both parties are trusting, it's a hell of a lot simpler than that mess described above.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:41 PM
rightwinger

Ya, we defiantley dont have to go through the mess described above. Because I just sold my car, and I had the title in hand and just gave to the buyer. I mean hes a nice guy, returns all my calls. Answered me truthfully about the recalls, he even said I have an upcoming gas line recall and that would be done free of charge.

So does this mean, if I took the car before getting the title. I would just drive around until I got the title, and then replace the plates with my plates from my previous car?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:01 PM
ericjackson

ok, in mississippi at least, i bought my car used and had to drive it with the bill of sale and loan paperwork for 2-3 weeks until the title came in from cali. sooo what you really need to do is talk to someone from your county and find out instead of posting here and getting 15 different opinions/answers

luckily my loan officer took care of everything for me except for when i took the title when i got it in the mail to get it signed by the original owner and to get my tags with
Old 05-23-2006, 06:05 PM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by rightwinger
and then replace the plates with my plates from my previous car?
no dont do that, that can get you in big trouble, you would be better off without plates all together, you dont want to be trying to get charged for some type of fraud(i think thats what they charge?)
Old 05-24-2006, 04:22 AM
rightwinger

Or stolen car....