RSX-S
9.00%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

350z or rx8 or rsx-s

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:51 AM
DoomCue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally posted this in another thread: https://my350z.com/forum/other-vehicles/163032-the-06-rx8-2.html

Originally Posted by djb
As a FORMER RX-8 owner, I think I can provide a little insight into why people buy it....

1. It's a great-looking car
2. It's different (rotary-powered, suicide doors for rear seat access)
3. Has functional rear seats (you actually CAN get two humans back there)
4. Handles like a dream
5. Interior is excellent

So why am I a FORMER RX-8 owner (own an Enthusiast Roadster now)?

1. Dumb girl ran a stop sign and destroyed my 8
2. I missed having a convertible (former rides: '99 Eclipse GST Spyder, Jaguar XK-8)
3. Don't need rear seats (no kids)
4. Z is fairly quick
5. MUCH better MPG than the 8
6. Don't have to worry about my wife moving the car and flooding the engine (she did it twice)

The kickers for me were really #'s 2 and 5. The 8's mileage was truly pathetic - I average more than 6 mpg more in the Z. I bought the 8 thinking there'd be all kinds of aftermarket power enhancements, but there's really not much to pick from - the ECU kills everything. There are plenty of goodies available for the Z.

I think the 8 getting totalled was probably a blessing in disguise - while I still miss my 8 sometimes, I think I ended up with the better overall car.
I own a Z ('05 Enthusiast Roadster), but I'm no fanboy. You'll see plenty of Z fanboys who think the Z outhandles every other car on the road. Usually, those fanboys have never owned or even driven a sports car other than the Z. Fact is, there are plenty of cars that destroy the Z in the twisties, and the 8 happens to be one of them. The Z will definitely kill the 8 in a straight line - that should be expected from a car with roughly 70 more HP. If that's all you're looking for - a fast car in a straight line, then your friend shouldn't be looking at the Z, either. There are plenty of cars that do that better and cheaper than the Z. The Z is a good combination of raw speed and handling, but it doesn't really excel at either.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Z and I own one, but I don't let that blind me to the point where I can't be objective about other cars. Choosing a car is a very personal decision, and what some people like/dislike about a car is really subjective. If your friend is looking for a four-door four-seater, then either the RSX or the 8 is a good choice. I would think that price and whether he wants FWD or RWD become the main factors in that decision. He should also factor in the fact that the RSX is being discontinued next year. If he wants a true sports car, then the Z is the clear choice among the three. For me personally, I had my choices narrowed down to the 8 again, the S2000, the Pontiac Solstice (Sky wasn't out yet), the Z Roadster, the RSX-S, the Acura TL, and the Mazdaspeed MX-5 (I know, that's a pretty wide range of vehicles) and I chose the Z. I thought the S2000 and Miata were too small, I ruled out the Solstice due to it being a first-year vehicle, the TL was a little more than I wanted to spend, and I wanted RWD (no RSX-S). That left me with the 8 and the Z Roadster. Since I missed having a vert, I went with the Z. If the 8 came in vert, I'd probably still be in one. Since I don't track my car, straight-line speed isn't the end-all, be-all of a car to me.

As others have said, your friend needs to drive the cars and make up his mind for himself. I realize you're just looking for more information from people who own and drive the cars, but ultimately, the decision is still a personal one.

-djb
Old 05-30-2006, 12:45 PM
fusionchicken

Originally Posted by DoomCue
I originally posted this in another thread: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163032&page=2

I own a Z ('05 Enthusiast Roadster), but I'm no fanboy. You'll see plenty of Z fanboys who think the Z outhandles every other car on the road. Usually, those fanboys have never owned or even driven a sports car other than the Z. Fact is, there are plenty of cars that destroy the Z in the twisties, and the 8 happens to be one of them. The Z will definitely kill the 8 in a straight line - that should be expected from a car with roughly 70 more HP. If that's all you're looking for - a fast car in a straight line, then your friend shouldn't be looking at the Z, either. There are plenty of cars that do that better and cheaper than the Z. The Z is a good combination of raw speed and handling, but it doesn't really excel at either.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Z and I own one, but I don't let that blind me to the point where I can't be objective about other cars. Choosing a car is a very personal decision, and what some people like/dislike about a car is really subjective. If your friend is looking for a four-door four-seater, then either the RSX or the 8 is a good choice. I would think that price and whether he wants FWD or RWD become the main factors in that decision. He should also factor in the fact that the RSX is being discontinued next year. If he wants a true sports car, then the Z is the clear choice among the three. For me personally, I had my choices narrowed down to the 8 again, the S2000, the Pontiac Solstice (Sky wasn't out yet), the Z Roadster, the RSX-S, the Acura TL, and the Mazdaspeed MX-5 (I know, that's a pretty wide range of vehicles) and I chose the Z. I thought the S2000 and Miata were too small, I ruled out the Solstice due to it being a first-year vehicle, the TL was a little more than I wanted to spend, and I wanted RWD (no RSX-S). That left me with the 8 and the Z Roadster. Since I missed having a vert, I went with the Z. If the 8 came in vert, I'd probably still be in one. Since I don't track my car, straight-line speed isn't the end-all, be-all of a car to me.

As others have said, your friend needs to drive the cars and make up his mind for himself. I realize you're just looking for more information from people who own and drive the cars, but ultimately, the decision is still a personal one.

-djb
i feel like crying, because he's the only one who answered my questions in full while understanding my intention of making this thread. wow.

anyways, yea eventually he will do the test drives we might drop by nissan today to give the z33 a go.

from a simple test drive, i'm assming my friend, despite being a noob, will be able to tell that Z has tons more power, while rx8 is nimbler and more tossable. it'll just be down to which of those he prefers...

thanks for everyone's inputs. we'll combine ur opinions with the rx8 boards and make a final conclusion, though for now he's leaning toward the rx8 due to backseats...

thanks again
Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
streetracer

What did the RX8 boards had to say?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:02 PM
HeelnToe

Originally Posted by streetracer
What did the RX8 boards had to say?
Oh, we bash the Z somethin' *awful*, lol....

Kidding, kidding, go look for yourself:

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=90989

By and large, even though you guys are our "enemy" product-wise, you'll find that the 8 forum generally respects the Z and what it can do. Cool cars are cool cars, ya know?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:22 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the rx8 crowd almost always respects the Z.... I wonder why that is.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:17 PM
HeelnToe

Originally Posted by roast
Yeah, the rx8 crowd almost always respects the Z.... I wonder why that is.
It IS curious, isn't it? I'm guessing because 8 owners tend to be more mature than most, don't feel a need to bash other cars to make themselves feel superior and manly, and rather than see cars as extensions of their ***** they see them as expressions of their soul.

Oh... and they're very humble too...
Old 05-30-2006, 03:29 PM
norapat01

RX-8 is POS, i sell it after bought it for 2 months
Old 05-30-2006, 03:40 PM
05Blu3z

Originally Posted by streetracer
Disagree. The newer ones have a black background in the headlights that make them look racier. The backlights look more finished and slicker. Just MO.

exactly what i said only the lighting changed.....and i say as a first sports car get the rsx its a great car....and you can add some power for cheap
Old 05-30-2006, 03:58 PM
MaVel2iCk

Not to put you down or anything

But coming into a 350z forum and asking this isn't going to get you un-biased opinions.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:04 PM
roast

Originally Posted by HeelnToe
It IS curious, isn't it?
Say what?

I'm guessing because 8 owners tend to be more mature than most, don't feel a need to bash other cars to make themselves feel superior and manly, and rather than see cars as extensions of their ***** they see them as expressions of their soul.
I always knew rx-8 owners were homosexuals.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:40 PM
diwun67

Your buddy's Avalon will most likely smoke an RX8
Old 05-30-2006, 04:55 PM
DoomCue

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
i feel like crying, because he's the only one who answered my questions in full while understanding my intention of making this thread. wow.

anyways, yea eventually he will do the test drives we might drop by nissan today to give the z33 a go.

from a simple test drive, i'm assming my friend, despite being a noob, will be able to tell that Z has tons more power, while rx8 is nimbler and more tossable. it'll just be down to which of those he prefers...

thanks for everyone's inputs. we'll combine ur opinions with the rx8 boards and make a final conclusion, though for now he's leaning toward the rx8 due to backseats...

thanks again
Glad I could be of service. I think you should give your friend some manual transmission driving lessons so he can give the cars a proper test drive. In order for him to make a good judgment based on proper information, he really needs to drive all three in MT form.

-djb
Old 05-30-2006, 06:36 PM
HeelnToe

I always knew rx-8 owners were homosexuals.
Transsexual (well, wannabe) in my case - but I wont' expect you to make the distinction. We still get beat up by the same people anyway.

Slandering aside, the 8 *is* a very "feminine" car in that it emphasizes the sensual, subjective aspect of the driving experience - rather than brute numbers and statistics. It's not a car for those in need of bragging rights. It's not for those who need to "smoke" the other nut next to them at a stoplight.

But damn, if you know how to drive... and love cars for for the driving experience they provide... the 8 is pure heaven. You don't "conquer" it or bludgeon it into obedience; you blend with it, making love to it through every corner, every downshift.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:39 PM
tweaksalot

Just get a G35 and be done with it
Old 05-31-2006, 01:55 AM
roast

Transsexual (well, wannabe) in my case - but I wont' expect you to make the distinction. We still get beat up by the same people anyway.

Slandering aside, the 8 *is* a very "feminine" car in that it emphasizes the sensual, subjective aspect of the driving experience - rather than brute numbers and statistics. It's not a car for those in need of bragging rights. It's not for those who need to "smoke" the other nut next to them at a stoplight.

But damn, if you know how to drive... and love cars for for the driving experience they provide... the 8 is pure heaven. You don't "conquer" it or bludgeon it into obedience; you blend with it, making love to it through every corner, every downshift.
All in good jest.

Did you know they made the rx8 hood to be more people friendly in an auto-pedestrian accident? I wonder if mazda was anticipating in particular out of rx8 drivers??

As a big fan of the rx7, I was excited to hear about the 8. Once it was unveiled I was pretty disappointed. I understood what mazda was after, but sadly to say, nothing about it appealed to me. I already had a lightweight underpowered RWD mazda sports car. It's a miata. Why would I want another?

The 8 seemed like too much of a compromise. Backseats? 4 doors? I don't need them. Power? I need it. Where is it? The interior is not bad at all, but the exterior, I'm sorry but no. That was the first thing that turned me off initially. The rx7 is still HOT to this day.... and that was designed well over a decade ago. The rx8 just screams.... pt-cruiser. Those front fenders have a little too much flare for my taste. The rear seems smashed together. It's just not very attractive to me.

I know the rx8 is a very fun car to drive, but it's just not in the same league as the Z. The Z is everything a true sports car should be, and at a reasonable price. The other two cars in this poll are not. I think anyone considering FWD against the Z is obviously confused about what they are looking for.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:10 AM
fusionchicken

i agree that the majority of the response on the rx8 board is more mature. i take back my statement about their fanboism back earlier; it was uncalled for.

bashing other cars to make u feel more justified with ur own car is just downright pathetic.

doomcue: yea i will start teaching him this weekend

roast: notice that the dc5 is only there because my friend is a relative noobie to sports cars in general, and maybe the rsx-s could suit his need as more of an entry-level car. keep in mind that we're lookin for the best car for my friend, not the best cars for the ultimate sports car enthusiast. though performance is definitely a factor.

again thanks for everybody's inputs.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:09 AM
HeelnToe

As a big fan of the rx7, I was excited to hear about the 8. Once it was unveiled I was pretty disappointed.
Which explains most of the hate directed at the 8 - people were *expecting* an RX-7 followup, when it's actually a very different car for a different buyer. The RX-8 designer guy pointed out that the 8 appeals to people who originally bought an RX-7 - but who now have a family and need something more practical and less raw.

The interior is not bad at all, but the exterior, I'm sorry but no.
It IS funny-looking. From some angles it's OK, but from the side... it's awkward. But I do understand that it's form follows it's function, and I didn't buy it for it's looks

The Z... reminds me of Brad Pitt: I'll admit it's very good-looking... but it's not the kind of look that I'm attracted to, lol. But I do admire it's clean lines (the Z that is).

The rx8 just screams.... pt-cruiser.
Take that back. RIGHT NOW! God, I hate those things. I don't know why... prob not a bad car... it's just a gut-level, instinctual hatred.

I know the rx8 is a very fun car to drive, but it's just not in the same league as the Z.
On this we agree! But don't worry, the Z isn't so bad...