Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help Needed - Overheating Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 05:59 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tekk.... if anything, you might check your radiator fans to make sure they are working. I don't think your car should have overheated unless there is a problem somewhere. It's just not a good idea to leave a car idling like that for no good reason.

With the engine off, pop the hood and locate the radiator fans if you don't already know where they are. They are behind the radiator on the engine side.

Then start the car and make sure the air conditioner is on. Then go check the fans, they should be turning.

Are they?

If they are, that means the fans are at least working, and it isn't something simple like disconnected wires. However there is also a temp sensor that determines when to turn the fans on and off. The sensor could be bad causing the fans not to turn on/off once a certain temp is reached.

If your car is still under warranty, you might take it to a dealership and tell them that you left the car idling for a little while and it overheated(shouldn't have happened), and you want them to check it out. It doesn't sound like it overheated enough to cause damage to your engine but you never know. I don't think aluminum engines take too kindly to overheating.

Last edited by roast; 06-04-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:22 AM
tekk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks.. the dealer is less knowledgable than i am (not a joke) so i try to learn to fix my car myself if possible.

i know where the fans are and have been keeping an eye on them. where i am (caribbean) its summer all year round. sometimes even if the ac isnt on, the fans spin up and then shut off. with the ac on the fans will come on, so they definitely work.

i did a good bit of extra driving yesterday, fast and slow. the temp needle stayed normal. so far, so good. to be safe ill probably be adding coolant though.. and at the next oil change ill probably change the coolant
Old 06-05-2006, 07:56 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tekk
i did a good bit of extra driving yesterday, fast and slow. the temp needle stayed normal. so far, so good. to be safe ill probably be adding coolant though.. and at the next oil change ill probably change the coolant
Just be sure to fill the coolant when the car is cool. If you put too much in it will just overflow through the tank and make a mess, but no harm will come to your engine.

I recommend finding a copy of the Factory Service Manual for your year vehicle before attempting this yourself. Here is the cooling system troubleshooting section from the 04 FSM:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
co2.pdf (26.5 KB, 58 views)