Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

AirBag On/Off Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003 | 11:33 PM
socalsoda

Default AirBag On/Off Question

Can the factory or the aftermarket on/off switch be used with Zs featuring the optional side airbags?

(And to beat a dead horse.... anyone have any luck getting a switch installed yet?)

Josh
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2003 | 02:44 PM
Mr350Z

Josh,
To answer your quetion, Yes, the on/off airbag switch works on Z's with or without the side & curtain airbags. With the switch installed, only the front airbag is disabled.

In order to get the on/off switch installed you have to contact NHTSA (www.nhtsa.dot.gov) and have them send you the approved NHTSA form which you will present to the dealer (part s department) to allow them to order & install the on/off switch.

If you have any issues, let me know.
Mr.350Z
Old 02-17-2003 | 10:39 PM
socalsoda

I have gotten the OK by NHTSA (last week), but I am having problems finding a dealer to install it. Any ideas?
Old 02-18-2003 | 07:27 AM
Mr350Z

Let me know where you are located and which dealers you are close to. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2003 | 09:09 AM
socalsoda

I am in the Inland Empire (By Ontario and Rancho Cucamonga), but I have not found any local dealers who will do it. I would be willing to travel to any dealer... I dont care if they are close in Orange County, or far in San Diego....
Old 02-21-2003 | 09:01 AM
Mr350Z

still trying to find a dealer that will do it...I'll keep you updated.
Old 02-21-2003 | 10:00 AM
socalsoda

Don't worry.... I talked to NNA and they told me that the only shops they have that will do it are back east. I have given up on NNA, they are very un-helpful... Not to mention rude.
I have made an appointment with Sensible Solutions to have a switch installed in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the effort though...

Best Regards,
Josh
Old 02-21-2003 | 11:19 AM
Alang

Well, Mossy Nissan in Escondido will do it (I think, see below), and they even have the hardware. Heres the kicker. They orderd the hardware for me before they knew how much it cost. Its expensive, so they offered to sell it to me for wholesale. $350 just for the parts. It took several calls, but they finally determained that the labor to install it was going to be around $550. Apparently it involves removing the dash, seats and most of the headliner to install the harness and sensors.

Either my dealer is BSing me because they really don't want to do it, or Nissan made it purposly expensive to install to keep people from installing it. Either way, its a raw deal for those that need it.

I have been doing some research on this while I have been waiting, and studies say that there really isn't much more danger to a properly restrained child from an airbag. The real problem is UN-restrained children in front seats. Since my daughter rarely rides in my car and is big enough now that I feel OK about it, I'm not going to install it.
Old 02-21-2003 | 11:35 AM
Mr350Z

Glad to hear you guys found solutions. Frustrating because I had this switch developed for guys like you....We're not all rude over here....
Mr350Z
Old 02-21-2003 | 12:13 PM
noahbuddy

I have some (bad) pictures in this thread.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=10196

I used airbagonoff.com Very professional. Very clean. Very Reasonable.
Old 02-21-2003 | 01:45 PM
socalsoda

Alang,

When I had spoken to Nissan they didnt need to remove the headliner becuase the airbags in the seat and headliner are not a safety issue with kids. It is the passenger dash that is the problem, so the switch only controls this. I think your dealer was only half right.
The fact that they will do it suprises me. Nissan told me NOBODY did it. I will have to call them. The price for the parts I got from a couple dealers is $550.00 alone without install. Aftermarket installers want $450.00 for installation.

As far as you Mr350Z, I did not mean to imply that you are rude. I appriciate all your help. I actually meant the Nissan Consumer Department members that I had spoken with. Both times I was extremely polite and both times the ladies I had spoken to began getting sarcastic and telling me that it is my problem and not Nissans. They say that becuase the dealership, the online brochure, the printed brochure and the owners manual all state that it is an accessory, it doesnt mean that it is actually an accessable part, let alone supported by NNA. I have spoken to others that have gone through the same stuff I have only to find out that when they actually order the part it isnt avaialable becuase of supplies or manufacturing. The whole thing is a pain.

We will see how Sensible Solutions does. They are only like $350.00 WITH installation, and will do it quickly. They tell me that Nissan has paid them to install in a couple customers cars that had complained. My only concern with them is that they will need to put my dash back together when done, and I know I will have problems like rattles and squeeks becuase of it... But I am willing to take that chance so that I can drive my kids around.
Old 02-21-2003 | 01:46 PM
socalsoda

P.S. noahbuddy, the pictures didnt work!!!!
Old 03-10-2003 | 05:54 AM
noahbuddy

another picture:
Attached Thumbnails AirBag On/Off Question-dcp_1656.jpg  
Old 03-10-2003 | 05:55 AM
noahbuddy

and far away:
Attached Thumbnails AirBag On/Off Question-dcp_1657.jpg  
Old 03-10-2003 | 11:56 AM
RobJames

I have been trying to get this done for ever now it seems like. I also can't find a dealer in Tulsa, OK to install the darn thing. I talked with the lady at Sensible Solutions about 3 weeks ago, and she said the switch was on back order and wouldn't be in for a couple of weeks. I haven't heard back from her. She told me that she didn't have any installers in my area, but that they had installed in several Zs and had photos. She suggested I could do it myself if I am mechanically inclined. I am reticent since I don't know the first thing about tearing out dashes and hooking up electronics. The shop that installed my hands free cell kit told me that (for me) he would install the switch if I drew up a liability release for him (I'm a lawyer), but he didn't say how much and he didn't seem enthusiastic. I don't know if it is worth $800-$1000 bucks installed. Anyway, I am very frustrated. All I want to do is be able to drive my young boys around once in awhile without possibly knocking their little heads off. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-10-2003 | 12:27 PM
kitkos

Rob,
It's Clayton in Fayetteville.
I have two questions....

1. I too need the switch installed and will probably have to drive to Tulsa. Will you please let me know what you find out.

2. V60 hands free. Who did it and how much (ok, that makes 3 questions).

The Pig Trail was GREAT Saturday. The trees will be blooming in a few weeks, let me know when you want to come drive it.

cjt
Old 03-10-2003 | 12:39 PM
RobJames

Kitkos, will do on the switch. Car Toys on Memorial did my handsfree and tint. They do a great job. They are also the ones that offered to install the on/off switch.

I may be over there on April 12th to judge a competition at the law school, but I presently have a trial scheduled the following Monday. If it gets settled, I may have time to run the trail that Saturday or possibly Sunday. I'll let you know as it gets closer.