Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Someone with a Track: Do this...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 08:42 PM
commasense

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone with a Track: Do this...

If you own a Track, you can do me a favor.

Go out on an empty road, get up to 40 mph or so, then hit the brakes firmly, let up, and quickly press down again.

How far down does the pedal go the second time compared to the first? Higher? The same? Lower?

If a couple of people will do this and report back, I'll explain why I asked.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:02 PM
phreezee

It's higher... I think this was reported before, and it's on all models.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:43 PM
apsilon

Umm isn't it normal for it to be higher on the second application? You've effectively just pumped the brakes just as you would on an old car with bad brakes to build up pressure. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:25 AM
commasense

Here's the thing. A couple of months ago I had my usual mechanic (he's very good, and I've been with him through half a dozen cars over 25 years), replace my brake fluid with ATE Super Blue so I'd be ready for the track.

My first lap out on the track (in December) and under heavy braking it felt to me like the pedal went much further down than it had before the switch. I became convinced that there was still some air in the system. So I took it easy on the brakes the rest of the session (fortunately it was wet, so we weren't running at top speed).

I asked them to bleed the brakes again. But the pedal felt the same after. They say there's no air in there and that's the way it's supposed to be.

I hadn't done the same two-push move when the stock fluid was still in the car, so I had no basis for comparison. But my Miata doesn't have the same difference between the first and second press. Which is why I wanted to check with you guys. It could be that the whole thing was in my mind, just because of my lack of familiarity with the car.

But if anyone with a Track doesn't find that the pedal is higher on the second push, I would like to hear about it.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:15 PM
apsilon

I'm not familiar with ATE super blue. Is it a silicon fluid? If so the pedal won't be as firm but it's nothing to worry about. Silicon fluids don't give as firm a pedal feel.

You have a Miata? So do I Are you on the miata mailing list or forum?
Old 02-21-2003, 12:32 PM
commasense

No, ATE is not a silicon fluid. It's a high-temp racing fluid, DOT 3 and DOT 4 equivalent. I used to use it in my 944 Turbo.

I'm not on any Miata boards or lists. Just this one.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:47 PM
mcclaskz

I would install some ss lines and bleed the brakes again. I had this problem initially w/ my Performance model and now it is fine. If the brakes grab higher it is not noticible. The Stoptech lines are excellent, DOT approved, and are plastic coated on the outside. They were around $150 from Street Sports. Well worth it for me.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:32 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

commasence, is your brake system being bled per the service manual? Perhaps the antilock system is retaining air?
Old 02-22-2003, 09:07 AM
commasense

My mechanic commented that the process was trickier because of the ABS, but I don't know if they actually have the 350Z manual. I suspect perhaps not, but it's an interesting point. I'll check.

Have you done it? Is it very different from other Nissan ABS systems? My guys are very experienced, so I'd assume they could handle it even without the manual. But if you know something about this, I'd love to hear it.