Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Front end repainted/repaired... when can clear bra go on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:24 AM
jsimms243

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end repainted/repaired... when can clear bra go on?

A couple months back I hit the mother of racoons. It cracked my front bumper and broke the grille. Just got it fixed... it involved repainting the front of the car. I asked the body shop how long it would be for waxing, washing, and clear bra. I kinda got two answers for the clear bra so I figured I would come here and get more facts and put everything together to determine an answer. Please, no guesses or opinions, only people with facts Thanks! Justin.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:22 AM
Speed 2000

Justin,
I've been doing clear bras for over six years and the answer can be anywhere from 48 hours to never. You were smart to ask the painter, he should have the best info to make the decision. Was the paint sprayed over primer or just airbrushed over the existing paint? Was the paint baked in an oven?

If it was sprayed over primer and baked, you're a good candidate for a short wait, maybe as short as 48 hours but I'd advise 10 to 30 days. You want to make sure the paint has time to "out gas".

If it was just airbrushed over existing paint, that's another story. That paint will come off if the film ever has to be removed so know that going in. The installer will have to be very careful not to lift the film during application in the repainted areas. Once its down, it has to stay down. My company does not offer any warranty for repaints. I'll do 'em, but if there's a problem with the paint, it's not my problem.

If you decide to get the film, make sure to inform the person doing the work. Repaints should get different mix solutions for a safe install.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:27 AM
highside107

I've asked this question to many people as well, here on the forums to the body shop doing my repaint (I had my front repainted and clearbra'd later as well) to the clearbra installer. The concensus is that you should wait approximately a month for the paint to "oxidize" or whatever you call it. If the body shop "baked" your paint, that would make for a shorter wait (may cut it down by a week or two). It also helps if you leave your Z out in the sun as heat would "cure" the new paint faster. I had the body shop "bake" my paint and left it out in the hot sun everyday. I made sure not to go on the freeway either for fear of rock chips. I think I waited 3 weeks.

PS: The body shop said one way to help tell if your paint is hardened enough is to smell it; if it still smells like paint you need to wait longer. I would be on the safe side if I were you and just wait 3-4 weeks. What's another week anyway?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Manu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a clear bra is overkill on a piece that is painted properly. Did the body shop apply only one layer of paint ? Most likely they put down a couple, and probably used a lot more clear than the factory as well. This should make the paint much more resistant than OEM.