Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2007 350z speculations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:26 PM
steven88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mc350 - i thought alberto confirmed that the 06 and pre 06's weighed within 10-15lbs of each other? so using the example that 06's are heavier, isn't good idea? just wondering...i'm not a regular here...but I did read something like that earlier
Old 09-06-2006, 02:06 AM
steven88

what do you guys think this HR will dyno?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:32 AM
tekk

260-265rwhp sae corrected blah blah blah
Old 09-06-2006, 06:27 AM
bghoward

The MT magazine that I read had a 0-60 in 5.2 and 1/4 mile in 14.0 for a 3600+ 07 G35 Sedan. Given that the best I've seen for a Z is 5.3 (a 2004 I believe) and that most Z's are more like 5.4-5.5 and 1/4 mile in 14.0-14.1 (I know, magazine times are not the best, but that is what I'm comparing).

What does the average Z dyno? 235-245? I would expect that a vehicle that weights 300-400 lbs more that runs similar times would need at least an additional 30rwhp if not more. My prediction is that the new engine is going to dyno at around 265-275.

Besides as I posted earlier on in this thread the Lexus IS350 rated at 306hp gets around 260-265rwhp and it only comes in automatic. With the SAE leveling the playing field a bit, I would expect the G35 6MT to get slightly better. It makes sense because the G35 and the IS350 run about the same times according to the article I read, but the lexus is about 100lbs lighter which would negate and difference between the efficiency of an automatic vs. manual.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:34 AM
wileecoyte

I've been keeping an eye on the Z for years and constantly debating back and forth whether to get one of those or an M3.

The intake always bugged me that it was around the back, but with the new motor it's symetrical looking\working. I was waiting for 350 evo guys to make their super cool intake but that never happened. Now I think I may have to roll on over to Nissan.

I'm disappointed it's gained so much weight over the years, but so has everything else, the M3 has ballooned up to 3400 lbs too. Now that it revs up to 7500 and has that intake system I just may have to get one. I haven't been keeping up to date with all the posts on here but found this website with some good info and pics on the new motor. Sorry if that was posted already. I'm getting pretty excited now!!!!!!!! Only problem is that it'll be slower than my current Mitsu GSX, I'll have find a few HP somewhere.

http://www.*********.com/zwiki/VQ35HR
Old 09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
clarkkent06

Originally Posted by wileecoyte
I've been keeping an eye on the Z for years and constantly debating back and forth whether to get one of those or an M3.

The intake always bugged me that it was around the back, but with the new motor it's symetrical looking\working. I was waiting for 350 evo guys to make their super cool intake but that never happened. Now I think I may have to roll on over to Nissan.

I'm disappointed it's gained so much weight over the years, but so has everything else, the M3 has ballooned up to 3400 lbs too. Now that it revs up to 7500 and has that intake system I just may have to get one. I haven't been keeping up to date with all the posts on here but found this website with some good info and pics on the new motor. Sorry if that was posted already. I'm getting pretty excited now!!!!!!!! Only problem is that it'll be slower than my current Mitsu GSX, I'll have find a few HP somewhere.

not sure what happened to your url. but isn't the m3 going to get a v8 soon? i think in a year or two? that M3 with a v8 would probably haul ***.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:49 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Road and Track as a 2007 Model Year Preview,

They noted that the 2007 roadster will have a Light Grey Soft Top Option.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
wileecoyte

The new M3 is supposed to have a 4L V8, pretty much the M5 V10 with 2 cylinders lopped off. I dont' think I'll like it b/c I'm a fan of high revving\high pitch motors. The only V8s that sound really good to me are flat plane crank V8s like Ferrari among others use. I was lucky enough to have a F360 for a long weekend and I still think it's the best sounding motor of all time, especially with the Tubi exhaust. Unreal. Anyway, the new M3 probably won't sound as good as the outgoing. It'll go like stink I'm sure, but they seem to be getting over gizmo'd as well. The M5 is electro everthing.

The 350 is going that way too (ie more luxury and electronics, more weight,) but it does have a nice, fairly exotic sound to it and ought to go pretty well. Swap out the gears in the back and a few other little things ought to give it some more punch.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:33 AM
streetracer

The M5 has a 5.0 liter displacement also.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:34 AM
clarkkent06

According to the sound clip for the new HR, it seems to sound more throaty than the DE too, which I think is a good thing.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:44 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

i know the m5 v10 is high revving, so the v8 will probably rev high too.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 AM
wileecoyte

If that doesn't come out or it gets bleeped again, its on *********.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:54 AM
clarkkent06

If that doesn't come out or it gets bleeped again, its on *********.
hahahah. put symbols to represent letters, such as an @ = a or s = $. haha, that is hilarious

also, about the m5, i didn't realize how high revving that v10 was. it gets max hp at around 7300! that's pretty crazy for a 5L v10.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:58 AM
wileecoyte

Ha ha ha, oh man I feel like an idiot, it keeps bleeping out the link, too funny. Anways if you Yahoo "VQ35HR" it's the first link that comes up. Man, talk about making things difficult!

I'm sure the M3 will rev high, it just doesn't sound the same. Flat plane v8s sound like 2 fours, ie higher pitch superbike sound. Non flat plane sound like mustangs and such, deeper sound. It still revs hard but sounds deep, listen to the new Audi RS4 and I think that's what the M3 will sound like. Not bad, just not what I really like.

Judging by the V angle in the M5 which I'm sure will be retained I don't think they could put a flat plane crank in there, it would have really weird harmonics I believe.

Back to the Z, I think they sound stupendous, probably the best sounding non-exotic I can think of. I really hope it doesn't change much at all. Some of the onboard from Grand Am Cup car would make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, good stuff.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:13 AM
wileecoyte

Does the bore and stroke change? I see the lengthened the rods to change the angle in the cyclinder, but did they increase the stroke by doing this or did they adjust the crank for the longer rod so that bore and stroke stay the same? Is that info out yet?

And where did you get the sound clip?

Last edited by wileecoyte; 09-06-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:13 AM
clarkkent06

i just looked at that website. it definitely has a ton of info on the new engine, including lots of pictures of the engine in different stages of disassembly. looks pretty cool!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:16 AM
clarkkent06

Does the bore and stroke change? I see the lengthened the rods to change the angle in the cyclinder, but did they increase the stroke by doing this or did they adjust the crank for the longer rod so that bore and stroke stay the same? Is that info out yet?
according to what i've read, the rods changed length (the deck height also increased) but the bore and stroke remain the same. this is to cause less force being put on the cylinder walls, which should reduce friction. basically the piston is moving the same distance, but farther away from the center of rotation (crank).
Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
wileecoyte

The attention to detail is pretty impressive. Power is up but so is economy (something which I usually don't care that much about,) but shows careful engineering to make small improvements to efficiencies in all the engine systems. Even going so far to cover the lifters in DLC (which they use in F1 engine bores and motorcycle forks) is fairly exotic, reducing sidewall friction all that junk.

I am a fan of sportsbikes and am awed at the attention to detail and the legnths they go to in order to effect small improvements, which result in amazingly well thought out and efficient designs. Cars don't seem to have that same degree of attention, but things like this show that not all companies are like that.

The only downside is aftermarket tweaks are going to have even less effect. The headers are now equal length, so not much to gain there(much like the M3 again!), intake is vastly improved, not much there. But overall, I really like what I'm seeing. Now if they would just come out with a lightweight or club sport version with some carbon bits and weight slashing......
Old 09-06-2006, 12:27 PM
clarkkent06

yes, i too am very impressed with the small details. it seems the reason for such detail in sportbikes is because of the competition. for instance, the gsxr-1000 has direct competition with the cbr1000r, the yzf-r1, and others. every single detail that will give the smallest edge is included. if you even look at some bolts, they are hollow or have holes drilled in them to save weight! I remember suzuki came out with a titanium nitrate coating for their shocks that decreased the friction by like 10 fold over bare metal, then the next year they came out with a diamond coating which lower the friction by another 10 times. the technological advances are ridiculous nowadays.

however, it seems like there is no direct competitor for the z, hence the lack of cutting edge type things (and the lack of a club type version z)

Quick Reply: 2007 350z speculations?