Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

RANT! and Question About Warranty And Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Elohite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RANT! and Question About Warranty And Brakes

I bought my 2003 Touring Z about 5 months ago from a Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes. It had 11k miles and was still under the 3yr/30k warranty, and we purchased the extending 100k mile warranty through the dealership for a extra $1k or so Now, 5-6 months later. my bakes started to squeak a little https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/207187-squeaky-brakes.html

and so I went to Dublin Nissan, knowing something was definitely wrong as by yesterday, my brakes were squeaking every time.

at the dealership, they wanted to charge me $70 just to "inspect my brakes" and tell me there was something wrong... which I knew. and he said to replace the brakes would be around $325 if there was something wrong.

I ask if it would be covered under warranty since my car was still less than 30k miles (22k- I drive about 100 miles/day during the week for work, and 200+ on weekends driving places, and when I was in school I did about 60 a day).
and he said this isn’t covered under excessive wear and tear (he had not even looked or seen my car yet).

so I call my moms assistant, as she had the paperwork with my extended warranty. she called the Mercedes dealership people and they refused to honor the warranty stating they sold the car "as is", being very rude to her, and stating their head sales person Oscar wasn’t in so they couldn’t do anything away. they have fing horrible customer service

so we go to a Midas, she likes that place I guess, and we drop my car off there for them to inspect it.

we get a call an hour later and their manager said the pads were basically non existent in the front and like the rear ones had cracked? and said he was surprised these had passed any sort of inspection.

so we authorize them to do work and they fixed everything and resurface the rotors and its all good. The parts cost was around 270 but the labor coast was around 300 and I added a oil change and the total was $637.

the assistant later calls Mercedes and reaches Oscar. he says that the warranty does not cover parts that need to be replaced because of excessive wear and tear. she tells him, the car was purchased 5 months ago in cash with a with a extended warranty and had supposedly passed a full inspection and the brakes go bad this soon? Oscar then starts to slander me, saying he had seen what I had done to my previous car (the radiator randomly busted on my old 105k mile integra) and they bought the car when I bought the z and that I was very excited to get the car (well no ****) probably had driven the car aggressively. she told him how inappropriate it was for him to judge me without evening knowing me etc.

anways she said we have a bill for $600 in brake repairs and that she wants him to reimburse her. after more slander and what not he basically refused.
so she said we're going to take this to consumer affairs.

we look them up and they have had 6 complaints through the BBB better business bureau in the past 36 months including 2 in the past year and they currently hold a "unsatisfactory status".

anyways. im sort pissed that they don’t honor anything especially when we paid cash and bought a extended warranty, have all the papers, and they deny it. they even said they'd fax it over, we gave them our office fax but never received one.

anyways, rant over. what do you think the chances are of reimbursement through the BBB? what do you think of the situation. I know I left some stuff out so if you have ?'s just ask

btw, Midas did break job. My breaks work perfectly and quietly now
I recommend Midas in Dublin off Village Parkway if you need brake work

Last edited by Elohite; 08-03-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, they are charging you list price and standard labor rates...

The brakes and any wearable part are only covered for 1 year / 12000 miles...
Old 08-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

By the way... What did Midas use for your Brake job?

There are alot of other products I recommend to my 350Z customers and alot of people on the boards use them, not sure if Midas uses them or just some off the wall OE replacement non-name brand stuff... Those may last even less then the OE pads etc...
Old 08-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Elohite

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
By the way... What did Midas use for your Brake job?

There are alot of other products I recommend to my 350Z customers and alot of people on the boards use them, not sure if Midas uses them or just some off the wall OE replacement non-name brand stuff... Those may last even less then the OE pads etc...
They said it has a lifetime warranty on their work so they said if anythigns wrong come back and they'll fix or replace for free
Old 08-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Im just curoius to see how the compounds they use on the Z hold up...

Keep us posted on that!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Tekwon-V

a lot of midas chain stores have a special commercial account/delivery system through Autozone. probably have the "duralast" brand installed. not something i'd put on the Z. but for normal driving for most people, shouldnt be a problem.

if you have the performance friction (which autozone carries) they are pretty decent. comparable to the hawks hps, imo. :-P
Old 08-03-2006, 04:03 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dave079
+1 You cant expect to have brakes covered under warranty on a 3 year old car. The Z wears its pads out fast.
Agree. Brakes (pads and rotors) are wear items. Sorry.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:09 PM
NissanZfan

Brakes, clutch, tires, etc are wear items and are not under warrantee in 99.9% of the cases.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Blue_Streek

lifetime warranty at midas means you have a warranty on the pads BUT you still have to pay for the labor to put the pads in. so they jipp you. BUT a Firestone LT warranty means you get new calipers AND you never have to pay for brake pads OR the labor EVER. just got to fork out $300 for new rotors everytime.

tommy
Old 08-04-2006, 07:01 AM
stein

All "Certified Pre-Owned" means is they changed the oil and give it a look over! If you ever read the list of what's considered “Certified”, it is basically a bunch of checks, nothing new except for oil/filter is done, unless it’s truly needed.

As for you getting a reimbursement, you’ll never see a dime! Like Jason said "The brakes and any wearable part are only covered for 1 year / 12000 miles..." And that is a Nissan warranty, not the dealerships. Maybe should have looked at the BBB site prior to buying a car from them, perception after the fact is always clearer. Been there done that myself! Live n learn…

Also, that “lifetime warranty” from Midas is on their work and any defects with the pads. You’ll eventually need new pads. I just thought I would mention that because some people think this warranty means the pads are good for the life of the car.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:21 AM
tlewis

$600 on a brake job??? Wow! Brakes are something that I always do myself. It takes about 45 minutes to change all four pads and you can get a good set for about $100. Last time I changed out my rotors for Rotoras along with Hawk pads, and I think it all came out to be about $500 total...

BTW you will never see a red cent from the stealership. Brakes are one of the few things that warranties rarely cover... Being "certified" doesn't mean a thing, except a couple of thousand dollars added to the selling price...
Old 08-04-2006, 09:01 AM
mdracer76
Banned

All Very good and true input here bro. Brakes are wearable items, ... I'd read the fine print on the extended war. that you purchased.