Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

TCS and VDC on 2006 touring, right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:21 PM
kourosH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TCS and VDC on 2006 touring, right?

hi, on my 2006 touring, im supposed to have VDC and TCS, right? i can only find the button for the VDC to turn on and off, and not the TCS button, theres an empty button next to the VDC, with nothing on it. i had read on a thread before that people drive with VDC off, and TCS on, unless its raining or something, they turn the VDC back on.....so my question is..how do i turn my VDC off and have my TCS on? =/
Old 08-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Suvlaki

Uhm... I have an '06 touring.... I have a TCS button and no VDC button... kinda reversed from you. You sure the button is VDC and not really TCS?
Old 08-06-2006, 07:15 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suvlaki, you only have TCS because you have an Auto.....

kuorosH, You have VDC which implies that you have TCS plus the whole yaw-sensing/corner-braking system that is VDC. You turn off VDC, you turn off TCS.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:18 PM
kourosH

how safe or should i say unsafe is it with vdc off? i htought i read some ppl saying they have tcs on and vdc off? im confused noww
Old 08-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Spoiled Z

Thanks Kcobean I was wondering the same thing cuz I dont have the TCS button.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:22 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by kourosH
how safe or should i say unsafe is it with vdc off? i htought i read some ppl saying they have tcs on and vdc off? im confused noww
The VDC system is not as graceful as the driver aids in more expensive cars, but it saved my bacon more than once when I had my Z. I'd leave it on unless you're out for some "spirited driving".

You cannot turn off VDC and leave TCS on. They are all tied together in your car. To prove it...push the VDC button and then try to do a burnout....it'll work, thus no TCS.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Suvlaki

Originally Posted by kcobean
Suvlaki, you only have TCS because you have an Auto.....
Oh cool... *****es charge me the same as a VDC enabled touring... Oh well, I don't care for VDC. I don't care for TCS either, only during really wet conditions...
Old 08-06-2006, 07:35 PM
kourosH

so if im just driving normally, like to skool or out on the weekends, and i turn VDC off, its still safe, right? no spin outs or anything??
Old 08-06-2006, 07:35 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by Suvlaki
Oh cool... *****es charge me the same as a VDC enabled touring... Oh well, I don't care for VDC. I don't care for TCS either, only during really wet conditions...
The TCS and VDC systems are not "options" on the car, they're a standard feature at the touring trim level where your 5AT gets TCS and a 6MT gets VDC. Did they pad the price claiming that the car had VDC? If so, I'd be making a trip back to talk to the GM, because they falsely advertised the features of the car.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Suvlaki

Originally Posted by kcobean
The TCS and VDC systems are not "options" on the car, they're a standard feature at the touring trim level where your 5AT gets TCS and a 6MT gets VDC. Did they pad the price claiming that the car had VDC? If so, I'd be making a trip back to talk to the GM, because they falsely advertised the features of the car.
You know... I do believe that it may have said on the window-paper that it had VDC... I still have that... Ima check it and if I see it there, I will def. be goin' back to Nissan.

I never really checked for it cuz like I said, I don't care for it much but... if I can get somethn' back for it, why not?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:00 PM
kcobean

so if im just driving normally, like to skool or out on the weekends, and i turn VDC off, its still safe, right? no spin outs or anything??
Um..didn't they teach you to spell school in skool? (I mean it's one extra character to type it the right way for God's sake!! )

Just playin'.

Seriously though...why turn it off? VDC is a very advanced system that can control throttle and braking pressure to individual wheels in the event that it detects a yaw condition (i.e. the car is not traveling the direction it is facing). It's a computer, so it corrects WAY faster than you can. I only turned mine off when I wanted to be able to push the car around and/or break traction. Unless you're doing that I don't see any need to turn it off for daily driving.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:52 AM
kourosH

oh i see...so if you were to see how hard/fast u can pull..i should turn it off? or in a little race, on or off?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 AM
kcobean

oh i see...so if you were to see how hard/fast u can pull..i should turn it off? or in a little race, on or off?
Yep, turn it off for stuff like that.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:33 AM
06Firebase

Cool

hi, on my 2006 touring, im supposed to have VDC and TCS, right? i can only find the button for the VDC to turn on and off, and not the TCS button, theres an empty button next to the VDC, with nothing on it. i had read on a thread before that people drive with VDC off, and TCS on, unless its raining or something, they turn the VDC back on.....so my question is..how do i turn my VDC off and have my TCS on? =/

Exactly the same on my 2003 Touring 6MT.

Thanks for asking the question and thanks to kcobean for the answer!

I try to learn a little bit every day. It's all my brain can handle!