Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default transmission problem?

Today as i was driving a bit more aggressive than usual. As i was going from 1st to 2nd, the gear felt like it wants to pop out as i was shifting. It just happened today. I've been reading some of the threads, and some have said that this is a tail tail sign of transmission problem. Is this true? Do you guys think that this might cause a concern? My car is a 03 touring with 26000 miles. thanks....any comments would be helpful..
Old 08-10-2006, 11:18 PM
aren21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just take it to the dealer and hopefully youll get a fresh transmission!!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Rumbler

I was looking at a 2004 Z base model, and when I switched gears it felt like it didn't want to go into the gear smooth. I told the guy , and of course he replied, the car has to be broken in. I just said its got 13k miles, it is broken it, its just broke. And he just said stuff to get my mind off of it so I would just buy a problem, but I didn't. Looking for a more responsible dealer. And better condition Z
Old 08-11-2006, 05:22 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by Changvi
Today as i was driving a bit more aggressive than usual. As i was going from 1st to 2nd, the gear felt like it wants to pop out as i was shifting. It just happened today. I've been reading some of the threads, and some have said that this is a tail tail sign of transmission problem. Is this true? Do you guys think that this might cause a concern? My car is a 03 touring with 26000 miles. thanks....any comments would be helpful..

It is quite possible that your 1-2 synchro is starting to go; this is the main tranny problem. HOWEVER, with where your tranny is at right now, I doubt very much you'll find any dealer willing to replace it, as it needs to be a noticable, very reproducable problem for them to even acknowledge it's existence (i.e. loud, crunchy grinding on the 1-2 shift). Do you have any of your 4 yr, 60k drivetrain warranty left? At this point, not sure what your options would be, though; you could start driving it real hard and try to get it to the point that it grinds consistently and get it replaced if you have any warranty left, otherwise, you might be buying yourself a new tranny down the road. Hmm, did they extend the drivetrain warranty on '03 cars b/c of this prob, I wonder?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:01 AM
roast

There are a few things that can cause it to pop out of gear... but synchros aren't a cause. Synchros just get the collar and the gear spinning at the same speed for a smooth engagement without needing to double clutch. If these go bad you will just have problems with gear engagement; ie grinding.

Popping out of gear could be a linkage problem or worn motor/tranny mounts, which would be the easiest and cheapest to fix. It could also be an internal tranny problem, which would obviously be more involved and expensive.

From you description of the problem it doesnt sound like it's popping out of gear. I'm not sure. "As i was going from 1st to 2nd, the gear felt like it wants to pop out as i was shifting." As you shift, it is supposed to come out of gear, heheh.... can you elaborate any better?
Old 08-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Changvi

Before this began, when shifting, it was very smooth from 1st to 2nd. But now once in a while, when shifting from 1st to 2nd while clutch is fully engaged, it just wants to pop out by itself without shifting. Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:32 PM
roast

Do you mean it pops out of gear when you let off the gas without depressing the clutch?

Last edited by roast; 08-11-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:43 PM
kevinbonds

I had the same problem to start with. At first it would just not shift smoothly followed by a consistant grind into gear. It's gotten to the point now where i have to slow down and gingerly put it into second or it wont go. New tranny is on the way from nissan. It's been happening since about 5,000 miles now I have 12,000 and its pretty bad. I have and 03. I have been procrastinating on the tranny cause i was waiting to see what direction i was goin with my car that way I could pick out the right clutch. Now its time...
Old 08-11-2006, 04:06 PM
roast

kevin what you are describing is not the same problem chang is describing... nowhere did he mention anything about grinding...and nowhere did you mention anything about it popping out of gear...

Am I missing something?
Old 08-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Changvi

Do you mean it pops out of gear when you let off the gas without depressing the clutch?
No, when pressing down the clutch and inthe process of shifting from 1st to 2nd. Usually its pretty smooth, but after it just wants to pop out when shifting. But now for some reason is fine. it doesn't show the symptoms anymore...freaking Nissan cars...always play some kind of tricks..
Old 08-11-2006, 07:31 PM
masterj26

are you talking once you get it into second gear it wants to pop out?
Old 08-11-2006, 07:31 PM
BawlZTT

I have a feeling this is perfectly normal.....