Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

cool things about the video and the Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 09:48 AM
roberto350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cool things about the video and the Z

we keep bringing up the bad stuff when the video and mags reviewed, what about the cool stuff? I watched the video tonight from sportsZ and I wanted to makes some good comments:

1: the spring set up in the front:
looked to me like the springs are fully accessible with removing one bolt. Its almst as if it looks like nissan made a special cradle so that you can just swing the bottom out and switch in STIFF springs in a pinch.

2: multi-link suspension geometry made by aluminum. Looks VERY fancy and complicated. Engineers boast its uniqueness.

3: He mentions torque on several equations. Hes trying to act cool, but I know he peed his pants

4: Two of his comlaints were said to have been corrected for production (nav door, engine sound).

5: if you "imagine" one turn he makes, you realize that the driver is taking it very fast with little tire squeek.

6: the author clarifies that the shifter vibration is due to the intentional lack of a rubber isoaltor. Nissan wants an aftermarket short throw feeling I suppose.

7: The intake is already relatively unrestricted. There is a big bore opening, the filter is right there, then 3" pipe to the manifold. Dont expect to gain much with K&N.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:58 AM
BrianZ

Default Re: cool things about the video and the Z

Originally posted by rpgonzalez
we keep bringing up the bad stuff when the video and mags reviewed, what about the cool stuff? I watched the video tonight from sportsZ and I wanted to makes some good comments:

1: the spring set up in the front:
looked to me like the springs are fully accessible with removing one bolt. Its almst as if it looks like nissan made a special cradle so that you can just swing the bottom out and switch in STIFF springs in a pinch.

2: multi-link suspension geometry made by aluminum. Looks VERY fancy and complicated. Engineers boast its uniqueness.

3: He mentions torque on several equations. Hes trying to act cool, but I know he peed his pants

4: Two of his comlaints were said to have been corrected for production (nav door, engine sound).

5: if you "imagine" one turn he makes, you realize that the driver is taking it very fast with little tire squeek.

6: the author clarifies that the shifter vibration is due to the intentional lack of a rubber isoaltor. Nissan wants an aftermarket short throw feeling I suppose.

7: The intake is already relatively unrestricted. There is a big bore opening, the filter is right there, then 3" pipe to the manifold. Dont expect to gain much with K&N.
This video guy is delusional when he talks about the engine sound. Even in the video you can hear he's wrong. I've heard it in person several times now on four different 350Z's, and it sounds awesome each time.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:25 AM
NissaNZ

You guys think a JWT POP-Charger for a 300ZX would fit the 350Z?
Old 07-12-2002, 08:46 PM
nizl

Poor Rob... everyone was too tied up w/ the phone calls issue to even notice your thread!

Good points. I also have to say the engine noise I've heard on the videos sounds pretty choice - I don't understand what all these people are talking about.

It sure as hell beats the Boxter's and M3's!
Old 07-12-2002, 09:40 PM
ITZBITZ

Where can you get the video now that he's pulled it from the site until August?
Old 07-12-2002, 09:47 PM
BrianZ

Originally posted by nizl
Poor Rob... everyone was too tied up w/ the phone calls issue to even notice your thread!

Good points. I also have to say the engine noise I've heard on the videos sounds pretty choice - I don't understand what all these people are talking about.

It sure as hell beats the Boxter's and M3's!
You got that right! Sounds much better!
Old 07-13-2002, 02:20 AM
Sport Z Editor
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

After watching the video, I too thought perhaps our test driver had a hearing problem...

In all fairness to Carl, what you hear on the video is a little deceiving--you're hearing more exhaust noise than you would typically. The camera is wedged between the headrest and the B-Pillar. Try putting your head against the pillar in your own car and you'll see what I mean.

I've been in the 350Z at speeds up to triple digits. As Carl says in his article on our website, "the car’s exhaust has a delightful deep burble from its twin outlet". But at higher speeds I admit it is difficult to hear (a testament to good soundproofing). Nissan is, however, looking into a happy medium...

For the poster who asked, you can still view the video and article by clicking the link at www.sportzmagazine.com. And if you'd like to contribute to Carl Merritt's hearing aid fund, drop me a line, editor@sportzmagazine.com

Dave Bexfield
Editor, Sport Z Magazine
Old 07-13-2002, 03:43 AM
uf300zx

Originally posted by TwinTurboZX
You guys think a JWT POP-Charger for a 300ZX would fit the 350Z?
No way, JWT Pop-charger for 300ZX is a cone filter, while the new 350Z has a single, large rectangular filter that is vertical in the airbox. Air comes in through a scoop in the front, is passed directy through the airbox without any bends and then a 3" pipe from the box to the intake plenum.