Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Questioning the Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Blurr350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questioning the Z

Every day coming home from work, I pass by a strip of car dealerships, one of which is a Mitsubishi one. They always have the Evos sitting upfront for everyone to drool over. Well I have always been a fan of these monsters, something about them just always attracts me to them. Last week, I drove by, and there was a silver 2005 used Evo 8 (not MR) with black axis wheels sitting in the used lot. So I stopped to look at it, they are asking 26,500, and it's in pretty good condition with 18,000 miles. I took it for a test drive and didnt know what to think, the steering, handling, and powerband were all completely different as expected. But if I trade in my Z, I will get the exact ammount, and maybe more, of what I still owe to Nissan. The monthly payments would be about the same and maybe a little cheaper for the Evo (this is assuming that I cannot haggle to price down to about 23-24). And also, with my aftermarket parts, I could probly make a few hundred bucks. So the money situation is not the issue here.

So here's the point of this thread:
When I test drove the Z 2 years ago, I KNEW that I wanted the car. I was absolutely positive. It had the get-up-and-go, and its handling was amazing. And of course the obvious, it looked like it was going 100mph just sitting still in the parking lot. And to this day I still look at my Z and just smile at how awesome it is.
But the other night, I raced a turbo'd Integra GSR. He was running 7 lbs, and had the usual exhaust upgrades. Now we did a bunch of rolls, all around 35-110. The closest I ever came was being about a car length behind him. On other runs he had 2 and maybe 2.5 lengths on me. I was very disappointed, but I mean it was what I expected as I only have intake, test pipes, and cat-back.

That got me thinking of the Evo. In stock form I would have murdered this guy and alot of other drivers that I have lost to in the past. If the money I put into the Z was put into the Evo, it would be a very formidible opponent around here. So now I am at a crossroads, not knowing what to do.

I'm posting this in hope that someone will post and point out something I haven't taken into account that will sway me either way. I love the Z for everything that it's worth, but the Evo is a whole nother animal that I would love to drive. Please post comments

And also.. from what I have researched, Evo 9's respond better to mods than 8's do, making 8's a little less valuable. Anyone know if there is truth to this?
And one more point (edit): Anyone here know if and how much insurance will go up from a 350Z to an Evo... I'm assuming it will be drastic

Last edited by Blurr350z; 08-19-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:37 AM
03Zilverstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just have to look at the pros and cons of each car. They are totally different and aren't the same class of vehicle. You just have to decide which one suits your tastes. BTW if you don't mind can you post some pics of your car? I've been contemplating getting my windows tinted and was wondering what yours look like. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:37 AM
350zedddy

check ur pm
Old 08-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blurr350z
Every day coming home from work, I pass by a strip of car dealerships, one of which is a Mitsubishi one. They always have the Evos sitting upfront for everyone to drool over. Well I have always been a fan of these monsters, something about them just always attracts me to them. Last week, I drove by, and there was a silver 2005 used Evo 8 (not MR) with black axis wheels sitting in the used lot. So I stopped to look at it, they are asking 26,500, and it's in pretty good condition with 18,000 miles. I took it for a test drive and didnt know what to think, the steering, handling, and powerband were all completely different as expected. But if I trade in my Z, I will get the exact ammount, and maybe more, of what I still owe to Nissan. The monthly payments would be about the same and maybe a little cheaper for the Evo (this is assuming that I cannot haggle to price down to about 23-24). And also, with my aftermarket parts, I could probly make a few hundred bucks. So the money situation is not the issue here.

So here's the point of this thread:
When I test drove the Z 2 years ago, I KNEW that I wanted the car. I was absolutely positive. It had the get-up-and-go, and its handling was amazing. And of course the obvious, it looked like it was going 100mph just sitting still in the parking lot. And to this day I still look at my Z and just smile at how awesome it is.
But the other night, I raced a turbo'd Integra GSR. He was running 7 lbs, and had the usual exhaust upgrades. Now we did a bunch of rolls, all around 35-110. The closest I ever came was being about a car length behind him. On other runs he had 2 and maybe 2.5 lengths on me. I was very disappointed, but I mean it was what I expected as I only have intake, test pipes, and cat-back.

That got me thinking of the Evo. In stock form I would have murdered this guy and alot of other drivers that I have lost to in the past. If the money I put into the Z was put into the Evo, it would be a very formidible opponent around here. So now I am at a crossroads, not knowing what to do.

I'm posting this in hope that someone will post and point out something I haven't taken into account that will sway me either way. I love the Z for everything that it's worth, but the Evo is a whole nother animal that I would love to drive. Please post comments

And also.. from what I have researched, Evo 9's respond better to mods than 8's do, making 8's a little less valuable. Anyone know if there is truth to this?
And one more point (edit): Anyone here know if and how much insurance will go up from a 350Z to an Evo... I'm assuming it will be drastic

Something you didn't take into account is no matter what car you buy, upgrade to, turbo, NOS or drive, there will always be somebody with a faster car than what you are driving somewhere, who will eventually beat you in a race.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:52 AM
roast

Sell the Z. Buy the EVO. Nice knowing you.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:59 AM
350zedddy

Originally Posted by Chad68
Something you didn't take into account is no matter what car you buy, upgrade to, turbo, NOS or drive, there will always be somebody with a faster car than what you are driving somewhere, who will eventually beat you in a race.
Totally agree. And if you just looking to beat someone in race. Get something with a LS in it. LOL way cheaper and easy to mod.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:04 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That got me thinking of the Evo.
Poop or get off the pot.

Last edited by davidv; 08-19-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Black_Sunshine

They always have the Evos sitting upfront for everyone to drool over.
People drool over Evos?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Azn_Empurio

its not the ride, its the RIDER!
Old 08-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Blurr350z

Thanks for the responses. I should have clarified more about what I'm looking for. Ideally I want my Z to be FI, but the money just isn't there to do the job right. I'm not some noob that is asking "Hey what car do I need to be the fastest in my town". I have a fairly extensive knowledge about cars, I grew up with a gear-head for a dad, and I have alot of experience with rebuilding and tuning bikes in motocross.
But I love both cars.. for different reasons. The Z is absolutely sexy, and has brought me nothing but positive attention (not why I got the car, but just a bonus to owning it). The Evolution comes as a solid platform to build from. Horsepower is very easy to attain with the 4g63.
I am not at all bothered when a camaro or gto smokes me off the line, cause in the end I find my Z to be alot more valuable and satisfying. But then again I would love to be in the 300+ whp range.

I think the point of this thread is to have some guys come in here and remind me of what the Z really is, and that an Evo is just a temporary solution to having a faster car. By the way, I just stopped to look at the car again, and the interior of the Evo is really ugly.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:00 PM
bofa

I think I read something a while back on here that had me cracking up and is quite appropriate for this...

Sure, you'll beat the turbo Integra, "but you'll look like a 16 year old doing it."

I also agree with Chad, there will always be a faster car. Always.

You sound like you still enjoy waking up and walking out to your Z every morning. Don't make rash decisions so you can beat one or two extra cars. If that was the way to go, we'd all be buying new cars every week.

Last edited by bofa; 08-19-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:38 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess you really want to drive a 4 door box.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:51 PM
gabez33

just go FI and forget the rest
Old 08-19-2006, 02:57 PM
The MVPlaya

My brother just got the IX Evo MR and that's a monster.

I say, keep the Z. the VIII isn't worth it, as the X is coming out next year. The Z will have this body style till 2009 or 2010...
Old 08-19-2006, 03:04 PM
HighwaySpeed

Exclamation

Evo =

350Z = Sports Car

"Tough" decision
Old 08-19-2006, 03:11 PM
woodstock300s

keep the Z...the evo has just a little more performance but alot less style...its a sacrifice either way....when someone says "evo" i think of a turbo'ed lancer with a really big wing......when someone says "sportscar" the z is what i think of......so its really just up to your what your into....but good luck with your decision..just my opinion...

P.S. A turbo Z is nicer than a turbo lancer...
Old 08-19-2006, 03:20 PM
IronMedic

the evo is ranked #1 for most expensive insurance. i would stay away. if you have to consider any type of turbo car, get the STi instead. it holds its value much better than the evo. the interior is much nicer too. i like my Z better than an evo or sti. there is nothing to prove in street racing. i just drive my car and have my fun but i dont need to race anyone. evo's get too much attention anyways...from ricers and cops
Old 08-19-2006, 03:21 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Alas, I'm a form over function guy. I'd never own an Evo because I'd get tired of having to back up to it to enter so as not to offend my eyes.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Miko

With all those mods, it surely sums to 2k. Should've bought a TN kit for 4-5 and you're good to go.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:26 PM
The MVPlaya

Turbo Z > Turbo Evo?

No. Performance wise, Evo > Z. That's real talk.

Evolution > STi too. My brother had a STi and the EVO MR > STi. Performance wise too. And if you plan to mod your car and upgrade the engine and improve performance, EVO is the way to go because it is much easier.

It is already faster too.

Quick Reply: Questioning the Z