2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The SEMA scramble...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006 | 01:18 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore
Premier Member

Default The SEMA scramble...

Well, SEMA is only a few weeks away and I finally got confirmation that my car will be displayed at the show! Now that I have confirmation, prep on the car begins!!! I figured I would do kind of a mini "Project Double Down" thread (for those who remember that one ) since I am changing the look of the car somewhat. My time is limited so I can't do too many drastic changes to the car, but I am doing my best. By the way, any opinions, ideas, and sponsorships welcome.

Here is what the car looks like now...

So what do I have planned??? Well, the major thing that will be chaning on the car is the body kit. I recently picked up C-West as a sponsor and I have an N1 front and rear bumper getting painted as we speak! Unfortunately, they did not have any side skirts, GT wings, or canards in stock and wont until after SEMA. However, I owe a big thanks to Rickdogg since he will be letting me sport his old C-West side skirts for the show.

I picked C-West because of they are one of the few companies that actually track test their products for functionallity. Not to mention, the N1 kit has always been one of my favorite looking kits for 350Zs. I will be getting the GT wing not because of looks (obviously), but because my car is in desperate need of some rear downforce. With all of the weight reduction I have done, most of the weight has come off of the rear of the car, and at places like Cal Speedway where speeds of 160+ are happening, it is more than apparent that my car lacks downforce. Not to mention, 554whp and 690 wtq demand a lot of traction .

www.C-WestUSA.com

***Pictures from C-WestUSA.com***

The next thing on the to do list is the brake calipers. I will be keeping my AP Racing brakes because I simply believe they are the best, however the caliper color will change from a flat black w/yellow lettering to a bright red w/black lettering. This way, the calipers will stand out behind the flat black Nismo LMGT4s instead of disapear and blend into them. Since I don't know of anybody that wants to trade my black ones for their red ones, I am going to get them powdercoated.

www.apracing.com

The other thing that I have already ordered is new 3" 5-Point racing harnesses from Corbeau. They are the same as the harnesses I have now, but red instead of black.

www.Corbeau.com

***Picture from Corbeau.com***

The car will also be getting an entirely new decal layout by J&J Vinyl. Final decal size and placement wont be decided until after the body kit is on the car, but it will have EDO Performance as the predominant logo on the car and the colors will be flat black and some red here & there. Don't worry, I won't have any dragons or ninjas or s**t like that, just the sponsors logos and my number (36) for the track.

I am also working on a bunch of other things for the car, but don't know if I can get them in time for SEMA...

- ARC Under Panel
- 18" Volk Racing TE37. If I get these in time, they will be powdercoated flat black and fitted with R-Compound radials. 275/295
- Craftsquare Carbon Fiber Mirrors
- SVRTechnologies 4" exhaust tips

I will also be rolling the rear fenders and painting the door handles flat black.

Tonight, the car goes on jackstands and the dissassembly begins!!!! Pictures will be posted tomorrow.

***LETS GET THE IDEAS FLOWING!!!***
Old 10-16-2006 | 02:16 PM
DIGItonium

NICE! Looks like your bumper is overdue for a replacement, eh? :-)
Old 10-16-2006 | 02:17 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by djtonium
NICE! Looks like your bumper is overdue for a replacement, eh? :-)
hahaha for sure.

ARC Under panel is ordered!!! Should be here by this Friday.
Old 10-16-2006 | 06:31 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore
Premier Member

And so it begins...

- Seats & harnesses removed
- Wheels & tires removed
- 1 brake caliper removed
- Decals removed

Hopefully tomorrow night I can paint the door handles, remove the rear bumper, and remove the rest of the calipers so I can take them to the powdercoater.
Old 10-16-2006 | 06:37 PM
Fletch69z

Congrats! I've always loved your car, . Wish I had the money to have VRT do mine, haha.
Old 10-16-2006 | 08:11 PM
DIGItonium

Did you upgrade the radiator? Also, I notice the fat rubber. How do you manage to drive without the tire hitting the fender? Mine does it if I corner a little hard or hit small bumps. The suspension is stock with T1-R 285/35ZR19 on LE-37t. :-( Gawd I love the fat rubber ahahah... it's as wide as a C6 minus 2 cylinders of muscle power.

BTW, I love that Siebon hood. I saw one at HIN last summer with the whole hood painted except for the vents... it fades.
Old 10-16-2006 | 08:18 PM
black_03

Damn looks like alot of work good luck with that and Sema
Old 10-16-2006 | 09:44 PM
Wendy
L A d y z 3 3
Premier Member

cool, congrats, hope u have fun at sema!
Old 10-16-2006 | 10:02 PM
Roger V

Hope everything gets finished.

Looks like you have a nice garage, pics?
Old 10-16-2006 | 10:20 PM
Acree

350NV - Just a couple of things. If you haven't already, I would recommend taking out the passenger side airbag in the dash. It weighs a sh!tload.

Also, if you need any lighting done, such as gauges, my turn signals, etc, just let me know. I would kill to have some of my stuff showcased at SEMA and I would do it for dirt cheap.

-Acree
Old 10-16-2006 | 10:52 PM
yahookendogg

hey nice Z. I'll make sure to check ur car out at the SEMA show.
Old 10-16-2006 | 11:51 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus
Premier Member

No problem at all man It is the least I could do considering how hospitable you have been towards me.
Old 10-17-2006 | 04:03 AM
Jonathan Allyn

good luck. I have always loved your car!
Old 10-17-2006 | 06:33 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Wow-lots of changes that will surely add up to a new look. Good luck to you, you dont need any pointers you do good on your own

OT-is that battery on a trickle charger? If so can you post info/suggested retail pics of it? BTW-your missing the "centering" piece of the mounting kit! I have the same bettery....
Old 10-17-2006 | 07:04 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by djtonium
Did you upgrade the radiator? Also, I notice the fat rubber. How do you manage to drive without the tire hitting the fender? Mine does it if I corner a little hard or hit small bumps. The suspension is stock with T1-R 285/35ZR19 on LE-37t. :-( Gawd I love the fat rubber ahahah... it's as wide as a C6 minus 2 cylinders of muscle power.

BTW, I love that Siebon hood. I saw one at HIN last summer with the whole hood painted except for the vents... it fades.
Yes, the radiator is Koyo. I did that a while ago. Pain in the a** to do it yourself.

The tires are 285-30-18 Front and 315-30-18 rear with no rubbing and no fender modifications. The key is in the offsets of the wheel. This setup has to be on 18"x 9.5" +30 wheels not to rub. However, when I put the Stance coilovers on, since its a true coilover in the rear, its a little thicker than the OEM strut and my tire was rubbing on the inside, so that is why you see a 3mm spacer on the back. I will have to roll the fenders a little to get it to clear with the spacer.
Old 10-17-2006 | 07:08 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Roger V
Hope everything gets finished.

Looks like you have a nice garage, pics?
Here is a couple shots I took when it was about 70% finished. Since then I have added a little mini fridge and hung some stuff on the walls. Still needs a flat panel TV, phone, and ceiling fan that its pre-wired for and the slot machine is not staying. The house has a seperate single car garage where the Z stays.

Old 10-17-2006 | 07:09 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Acree
350NV - Just a couple of things. If you haven't already, I would recommend taking out the passenger side airbag in the dash. It weighs a sh!tload.

Also, if you need any lighting done, such as gauges, my turn signals, etc, just let me know. I would kill to have some of my stuff showcased at SEMA and I would do it for dirt cheap.

-Acree
Both airbags are gone . Shoot me a PM about what you can do for lighting. Remember, my car will be outside, not at a booth, so I won't have power to light anything up. Still may be interested though . Thanks for the offer!
Old 10-17-2006 | 07:13 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Alberto
Wow-lots of changes that will surely add up to a new look. Good luck to you, you dont need any pointers you do good on your own

OT-is that battery on a trickle charger? If so can you post info/suggested retail pics of it? BTW-your missing the "centering" piece of the mounting kit! I have the same bettery....
Thanks Alberto . Its just a battery manager, not a trickle charger, but it is great for cars that aren't driven very often. My dad and I use them on all of our non-daily drivers. I got it from Griot's Garage. They also make good chargers and other things as well. Quality stuff.

Link to the Battery Manager II that I am using...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?SKUupsell=77655
Old 10-17-2006 | 07:13 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore
Premier Member

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words!!!
Old 10-17-2006 | 07:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Not sure if you care, but here is the piece your missing...thanks for the info on the maintainer!

Quick Reply: The SEMA scramble...