Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z causing fatal crash in Delaware!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 05:16 PM
dbasal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering about the clean cut myself. I also see a traffic light in the photo. Are you saying that she turned left on red? I say 90mph on the Saturn.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
widebody350

I read somewhere else..I think it was in the Street Racing section of the forums that someone said she made an illegal turn.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Tibbett

Originally Posted by Snake_bite
not having been there and not really knowing the type of 350Z alledgedly involved, it doesn't seem far fetched that the Z was racing the Saturn ION. If it were a stock Z of any variety, that particular Saturn would have handed him his butt in a 1/4 mile run as can a lot of Ion Red Lines & Cobalt SS/SC could. AFAIK, stock 350Zs run in the low 14s in the high 90 mph zone. That Ion put down a 13.4 @ 105 in the 1/4, so don't be so pompus as to the possibility of a Z entering into a race with a "Saturn".
Now, if your talking all sorts of aftermarket stuff on a Z and a turbo and what not, that is a different story. I stated a STOCK 350Z can and should be beaten by a stage II Ion Red Line. End of mystery.
We don't need this in here..bickering over stuff like this should be elsewhere, this thread is for this particular incident..please?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Tibbett

From what we've been told she did, indeed, make an illegal turn..but it doesn't change the fact that Chris shouldn't have been going that fast on that road..
Old 11-13-2006, 05:34 PM
widebody350

legally she was at fault more than he was though
Old 11-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Tibbett

He's still alive though.. We're waiting to hear news when they do a reconstruction..right now pretty much everything is speculation and we do not know much. It still seems odd that the old Merc actually split in half clean like that.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:02 PM
03performz

Facts:
The SATURN was speeding.
The SATURN collided w/ the Mercedes.

So why is everyone so concerned w/ this phantom Z? Of course the kid in the Saturn is blaming the Z, because he's in deep chit since the woman died and he's blaming the Z driver. What else do you expect from a society of blameless people w/ no integrity?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Tibbett

I think what they're going to try to do is find the other driver and, if they get a confession of racing, they'll make an example out of both of them..
Old 11-13-2006, 06:55 PM
wtf no turbo

Originally Posted by dbasal
I was wondering about the clean cut myself. I also see a traffic light in the photo. Are you saying that she turned left on red? I say 90mph on the Saturn.
90 mph??? There is not even axle damage on the MB. Hell the impact doesnt even look that bad. I t-boned a car making an illegal turn a couple years ago at 45 and ripped the back wheel off. As you see from the articles the cops arent releasing anything about speed. They need the z driver to prove drag racing probly. As far as im concerned just another old lady that shouldnt be driving.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:28 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by dbasal
Under New Jersey law, I believe he will face vehicular homicide. How fast would he have to be going to do what he did?
I also want to know how he survived this himself.
Dent-resistant panels...

Sorry, not to make light of this- it's extremely unfortunate. The Ion guy owns up to his damage. If the Z driver is caught, it will take a lot to hold anything against him without any real evidence.. as long as he's not dumb enough to confess (that is if he really did do something wrong). At most, leaving the scene of an accident and wreckless driving... but they'd have to prove it.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Fevmeister

Is the driver of the silver Z a member here does anyone know who he is? And if your reading this and you werent racing the guy in the Saturn I wish you luck.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:52 PM
bdahern

It's actually amusing just how much people don't understand the legal system. The Saturn (and Z driver iof racing) by driving at at a minimum double the speed limit are acting at a minimum in a reckless manner (I would certianly argue he acted intentionally) - the Saturn driver that hit the MB is at fault even IF she made an illegal turn because he created the dangerous situation (and in my recollection of Elkton road, you can make a left onto Casho Mill road legally, so I am not sure what that claim is about). The MB driver is required to give "full time and attention to the road", but with the impairment of sight (the incline) and the high speed of the Saturn there is no way the MB driver can be expected to drive in such a way to avoid the crash. I would bet $ the Saturn driver is charged - it is just a question of with what.

For all the people blaming the MB driver - shame on you.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:04 PM
widebody350

sorry but if you understand the legal system so well then you would know that judgement is based on factual information and not what you think or intuition is such as your statement of, "driving at at a minimum double the speed limit are acting at a minimum in a reckless manner (I would certianly argue he acted intentionally)". The police haven't said anything about speed so that is not a factual or informed statement. Also with regards to you knowledge of our legal system and how that person made a "dangerous situation" then please explain why someone I know was doing 110mph and clipped the tail end of someone's car who ran a red light. Guess who was blamed with the accident? The person who ran the red light. Yes he created a dangerous situation with the speed he was traveling at but regardless of that you can't just go around not obeying street signs/traffic lights/laws and pulling out in front of people. Had she done this with a motorcycle, the motorcyclist would be the deceased party and we all would be b*tching about old people on the road. RIP, too bad she died but really you have to see that if you disobey a traffic light and pull out in front of someone then you are at fault.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 PM
drivenCSZ

well im not being insensitive but you have to question the ability of a 78 year old woman to still drive an automobile. Its no secret that people that old arent the best drivers. And they havent proved the street racing aspect and id be skeptical if they could, but im sure theyre gonna try and hit them hard if they can. What i dont understand is why cant they look up the plate of a Z with the letters they have?
Old 11-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Sleeper01

i almost got rammed by an olderly person yesterday.....the guy was merging into my lane without even looking......
Old 11-13-2006, 08:15 PM
03performz

Originally Posted by bofa
Dent-resistant panels...

Sorry, not to make light of this- it's extremely unfortunate. The Ion guy owns up to his damage. If the Z driver is caught, it will take a lot to hold anything against him without any real evidence.. as long as he's not dumb enough to confess (that is if he really did do something wrong). At most, leaving the scene of an accident and wreckless driving... but they'd have to prove it.
I don't understand how you say the Z "left the scene of an accident" when he wasn't involved.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:16 PM
widebody350

When I'm on my bike and I look over and see an elderly person I'm gettin away from them that's for sure. Countless times this summer they came close to hitting me. Not to generalize elderly folks but when it comes to my personal well being I would rather discriminate a little and be safe than have them decide to merge and put me on the pavement.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:18 PM
bdahern

Originally Posted by widebody350
sorry but if you understand the legal system so well then you would know that judgement is based on factual information and not what you think or intuition is such as your statement of, "driving at at a minimum double the speed limit are acting at a minimum in a reckless manner (I would certianly argue he acted intentionally)". The police haven't said anything about speed so that is not a factual or informed statement. Also with regards to you knowledge of our legal system and how that person made a "dangerous situation" then please explain why someone I know was doing 110mph and clipped the tail end of someone's car who ran a red light. Guess who was blamed with the accident? The person who ran the red light. Yes he created a dangerous situation with the speed he was traveling at but regardless of that you can't just go around not obeying street signs/traffic lights/laws and pulling out in front of people. Had she done this with a motorcycle, the motorcyclist would be the deceased party and we all would be b*tching about old people on the road. RIP, too bad she died but really you have to see that if you disobey a traffic light and pull out in front of someone then you are at fault.
What I do know is that everyone has a friend that got screwed in some way by the legal system . I would expect if the MB driver was alive she would be charged with making an illegal turn - but that doesn't mean the other driver would not be charged with unsafe speed, drag racing, and either inattentive driving causing death or vehicular homicide. And obviously that conclusion is based on the facts as stated - that the Ion was travelling at a "high rate of speed" and that the police believe it was "street racing". And you are confusing the civil and criminal arenas here - "at fault" is about determining liability - both people here could very well have been breaking traffic laws and can be charged - we are talking violation of statute, not who pays.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:20 PM
HighwaySpeed

Question

A Mapquest map of the area...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=de&zipcode=

BDAHERN... Is there a hill on Elkton Road between Casho Mill Road and Chrysler Avenue? Do you know where the car wash business is? Does a northbound car on Elkton Road need a green arrow signal, in order to make a left turn onto Casho Mill Road?

Last edited by HighwaySpeed; 11-13-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:25 PM
widebody350

Just saying why he probably will not be charged with anything relating to her death. He was traveling at an excessive speed however if not for her actions there would be no accident and therefore she would still be alive. He was speeding. Her actions lead to her death. He isn't responsible for her death, so he doesn't get charged with anything related to her death.

Quick Reply: 350z causing fatal crash in Delaware!