Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is my engine stock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:53 PM
xDIEGOx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericjackson
you wouldn't happen to beat GTO's and Porche's like nothing would you?
HAHA
Old 11-27-2006, 08:01 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

During 2006, Nissan built 12 NRT (Nissan Racing Team) motors for formula competition. Only 7 were delivered. Word is that 5 motors made their way into 350Zs headed to the United States. There is no documentation as to which 350Z got the NRT motor. You may have 1 of only 5.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Kazuma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless I have another of the 5 then that's not true, I hear the whine/whistle/drill all the time, it's coming from the intake.

Sounds like a super mini supercharger
Old 11-28-2006, 05:47 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Then again maybe not.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:09 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03BrickyardZ
The whine is from interference from the plug wires in the radio. My car makes the same noise, unless the radio is off (not turned down, off).
umm, there's no spark plugs wires on our cars.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:10 PM
03BrickyardZ

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
umm, there's no spark plugs wires on our cars.
Ah... Individual coil packs. Doh, indeed. Sorry... I will be more careful of being retarded in the future.

Either way, There is an EMF caused by currents traveling in the engine compartment. If it isn't in plug wires its in the coils. Current in the wire pulses (during spark) and it creates an EMF that sometimes interferes with the radio. That causes a whine that increases in pitch with acceleration (due to the increasing frequency of the pulses). Keep in mind, the voltages aren't extreme, and they are shielded, but there is still a resulting EMF. Some cars are better about it than others. I have a buddy with an E36 M3 that has a loud whine for the same reason.

Last edited by 03BrickyardZ; 11-28-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:59 PM
JJ350

Originally Posted by 03BrickyardZ
Ah... Individual coil packs. Doh, indeed. Sorry... I will be more careful of being retarded in the future.

Either way, There is an EMF caused by currents traveling in the engine compartment. If it isn't in plug wires its in the coils. Current in the wire pulses (during spark) and it creates an EMF that sometimes interferes with the radio. That causes a whine that increases in pitch with acceleration (due to the increasing frequency of the pulses). Keep in mind, the voltages aren't extreme, and they are shielded, but there is still a resulting EMF. Some cars are better about it than others. I have a buddy with an E36 M3 that has a loud whine for the same reason.
Well I know there is no way the sound can be from the speakers because I still get the spool like sound when the radio is turned off. That and this sound sounds like it is coming from the engine anyways.

It just sounds like an almost "turbo spool" like sound. The spool like sound also usually doesn't kick in till I go over 3.5 - 4K RMS's, and I also usually notice a big increase in power when I hit those RPM's as well. Also the noise doesn't quite sound like an air intake, since my previous car (02 trans am WS6) had a big ram air intake system, and the whine noise that one produced was different from the Z's much more spool like sound. However I also don't see any kind of turbo since my engine still looks stock. So I basically I just want to know what this spool is from, and if it is stock or not.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:14 PM
JJ350

so is this stock?
Old 12-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Kazuma

Originally Posted by JJ350
Well I know there is no way the sound can be from the speakers because I still get the spool like sound when the radio is turned off. That and this sound sounds like it is coming from the engine anyways.

It just sounds like an almost "turbo spool" like sound. The spool like sound also usually doesn't kick in till I go over 3.5 - 4K RMS's, and I also usually notice a big increase in power when I hit those RPM's as well. Also the noise doesn't quite sound like an air intake, since my previous car (02 trans am WS6) had a big ram air intake system, and the whine noise that one produced was different from the Z's much more spool like sound. However I also don't see any kind of turbo since my engine still looks stock. So I basically I just want to know what this spool is from, and if it is stock or not.

I put my ear up to mine, it sounded almost undeniably from the intake, unless it was something directly under....

Z power doesnt kick in til high RPM, your car is stock....
Old 12-03-2006, 08:10 AM
miller

Whats up with all these threads asking if there z'd is stock