Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Painful Progression

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 01:45 AM
350zpower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painful Progression

Does anyone notice that we are getting closer and closer to the Z's arrival?

I remember just a couple days ago it was May and the Z was no where in site. Just imagine in less then 2 months many of us may have a Z sitting in our respective parking garages.

Speaking of parking garages when your car is away from home (like at College or at a Workplace) will it typically be in a covered garage or open air parking ..

The place i am gonna be the next year has a closed garage with security camera's, but lots of crazy young ppl driving fast through the garage all the time .. somewhat worried but happy that it has security and is closed roofed.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:10 AM
3rdpower

hehe... funny you ask... I have been scoping out the garage (at work) for a while. I found a spot that is posted between two cement beams. That will mostlikely be my spot. Now the challenge is getting their early enough I'll probably be **** for the first year and carry the car cover with me everywhere - won't be as bad as that civic commercial were dude covers the car every second but it will be pretty bad. :P Gotta protect the investment.

At home I have a car garage.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:27 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by 3rdpower
hehe... funny you ask... I have been scoping out the garage (at work) for a while. I found a spot that is posted between two cement beams. That will mostlikely be my spot. Now the challenge is getting their early enough I'll probably be **** for the first year and carry the car cover with me everywhere - won't be as bad as that civic commercial were dude covers the car every second but it will be pretty bad. :P Gotta protect the investment.

At home I have a car garage.
The phenomenon already exists at my office. There are a few choice spots, not the ones closer to the door, but the ones protected from other cars dinging their doors: these are all filled up early. After that people park really far away on the roof (in the sun!) just so their doors won't get dinged.

What's wrong with people that they have no care or awareness of damaging the car next to them? I am always ultra careful of the car next to me even if its a beater. Dinging someone's car is like stealing, after all, you're costing them money!
Old 07-18-2002, 04:02 AM
Boomer

Default Door Dings

I just read an article about door dings in some car magazine, I subscibe to so many, I can't remember which one. The gist of the guy's advice was" don't park next to two doors, they have longer doors to ding your car". I agree with him.

I have always preferred 2 doors because I'm tall and they are easier to get out of because of the longer doors. So, when you can, coZy up to a couple of sedans if you have no other option; it just might cut down on dings.

Boomer--Tall widebody
BR/FR/AT
Old 07-18-2002, 04:51 AM
BrianZ

Default Re: Door Dings

Originally posted by Boomer
I just read an article about door dings in some car magazine, I subscibe to so many, I can't remember which one. The gist of the guy's advice was" don't park next to two doors, they have longer doors to ding your car". I agree with him.

I have always preferred 2 doors because I'm tall and they are easier to get out of because of the longer doors. So, when you can, coZy up to a couple of sedans if you have no other option; it just might cut down on dings.

Boomer--Tall widebody
BR/FR/AT
That and expensive cars: guys that drive $90K Porsches tend to not slam their doors open.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:55 AM
goofyZ

And stay away from malls. some punk keyed my car down the whole side. and that car wasen't even nice. I can't imagine what could happen if a young jelous kid gets a load of our rides.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:42 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by goofyZ
And stay away from malls. some punk keyed my car down the whole side. and that car wasen't even nice. I can't imagine what could happen if a young jelous kid gets a load of our rides.
My wife doesn't want me to get the blue because of exactly this: she thinks it looks TOO nice and all the kids will be jealous and key it daily.

Its a sad statement that we have allowed our society to come to this. Generations raised with little moral grounding, no spine, and an attitude that "anything goes, if it benefits me its fine to do, the ends justify the means."
Old 07-18-2002, 05:51 AM
gammbino350z

i know some guy who just brough a brand new black max and the second day he had it some kid who worked at the place he did keyed the thing cause my friend was making more sales and getting more comission than this kid. sux that ppl are so stupid
Old 07-18-2002, 06:26 AM
PistolPete

Taking two spots is fine, as long as they aren't the ones closest to the exits, and the lot isn't full. I have seen people go out of their way to damage a car that was taking two spots when a lot is full. People suck.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:31 AM
2003z

if I must park next to another car, I make sure I park on the passenger side, since they aren't likely to have another person in the car. However, at work, I ALWAYS park on an end spot no matter how far out it is.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:33 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by gammbino350z
i know some guy who just brough a brand new black max and the second day he had it some kid who worked at the place he did keyed the thing cause my friend was making more sales and getting more comission than this kid. sux that ppl are so stupid
If that were done to me I would feel a moral obligation to provide this individual with the "education" that their own father *should* have.

Many people have no respect. You've got to beat it into them.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:38 AM
Zboy

Things to take note of....

1) Avoid parking next to 2 door car (as already mentioned)

2) Avoid parking next to old beat up cars. Owners of these cars do nto care if they slam their doors on your car. Not that their intention is to ding your car. Its just that they do not give a damn.

3)Avoid parking next to another sports car which might be inferior than yours. If the driver of this "inferior" car is a young kid, he/she might have something to say/do to your car. Also avoid parking next to riced up Integras, civics, Eclipses, etc. At first they drool over your car and then they take it as you showing them up.

4)As already mentioned, avoid malls. Also avoid college parking lots or any spot where kids hang out.

5)Always chose parking at the end spot over non-end one. Probability for that ding is cut in half because you only have one side to worry about now. And leave a extra space in between your car and the other car. This way you are even safer. But not too far away so that some other car while driving might hit you.

6)Avoid parking next to passanger side of Minivans and such. Usually kids get in from this side and they end up slaming the doors open.

7)Avoid parking next to american cars from the 70s and early 80s. These cars have airplane-wing doors and can reach over 2 parking spots when fuly opened.

8)Avoid bad parking/ taking 2 spots in a busy parking lot. You actually end up attracting more attention this way.

9)Always park next to cars which are more expensive than yours. Chances are good that these people love their cars
themselves and show will show your car the respect it deserves.

10) And lastly, take care yourself as to not to ding someone else's car.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:43 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Originally posted by dv_johnson
Why not just take two spots?

(that is, if your office or place of business has room for it)
Then you're just BEGGING to get keyed. I get so pissed off at people that hog two spots, I can imagine some of those disrespectful car-keying punks going to town on such a vehicle!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:01 AM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default parking comments

I notice even if you park way over in an end spot, some a$$ just lines up their cars in the middle and has total disregard for the lines. Also with my 300ZX I have more paint chips and dings on my painted mirrors from those dang minivans(idiot vans) and the dreaded SUV(SOB) they are way tall and the Z is way low. The worst I have experienced was when I had a splint on my leg and I couldn't bend my knee, my doc gave me a temp handicap permit being I was on crutches and all. I parked in the handicap area, of course in my 300ZX...some total A$$ parked in the blue lined area that is a non-parking area specifically for vans with a wheelchair lift. I could not even fit my 105# body between the SUV and my door. I couldn't get my door open and I couldn't crawl over the seats and the console due to movement restrctions from my dr..I waited for 30 minutes for the A$$ to come back to his car, I should have called the cops..it was an extremely obese smoking woman...I let her have it...Here I was standing there on one leg with crutches unable to get in my car.She was soooooorude, no I am sorry, nothing. I was so close to doing something stupid, like smacking her car with my crutch..I should have had her towed. I still can't believe how rude some people are. If you park far away in a desolate area then we have to worry about vandals. Also what about peoples belts, keys, zippers etc when they lean over and try to get a closer look at your beautiful new Z. I hope when we get our new cars we won't have too many stories of damage., and inconsideration inflicted by others
Old 07-18-2002, 08:16 AM
c350z

Default Don't forget

at the end of the day this is still a nissan, not a ferrari. I love my cars and worked hard and saved my money for evey car I owned, whether it was an 83 cutlas or my new z. But the reality is unless you keep it in michael jackson's cryo chamber stuff is going to happen to it. It's too bad some people are jerks but thats why we have insurance and touch up paint.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:26 AM
350zpower

Zboy i found your suggestions excellent but their is a strange paradox if all people were to follow your suggestions.
You cant follow 3 and 9 at the same time if everyone follows ur rule of thumb.

"3)Avoid parking next to another sports car which might be inferior than yours. If the driver of this "inferior" car is a young kid, he/she might have something to say/do to your car. Also avoid parking next to riced up Integras, civics, Eclipses, etc. At first they drool over your car and then they take it as you showing them up. "

"9)Always park next to cars which are more expensive than yours. Chances are good that these people love their cars
themselves and show will show your car the respect it deserves. "
Old 07-18-2002, 08:31 AM
Zboy

Originally posted by 350zpower
Zboy i found your suggestions excellent but their is a strange paradox if all people were to follow your suggestions.
You cant follow 3 and 9 at the same time if everyone follows ur rule of thumb.

"3)Avoid parking next to another sports car which might be inferior than yours. If the driver of this "inferior" car is a young kid, he/she might have something to say/do to your car. Also avoid parking next to riced up Integras, civics, Eclipses, etc. At first they drool over your car and then they take it as you showing them up. "

"9)Always park next to cars which are more expensive than yours. Chances are good that these people love their cars
themselves and show will show your car the respect it deserves. "
Hmm why cant you follow both? Actually following one implies following another. I am basically saying, avoid parking next to cars which are "inferior" than yours but DO park next to ones which are far more expensive than yours!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:31 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

...I apologize for sounding like an a$$hole...

I slipped into a state of temporary insanity, and forgot to act like a rational human being. ...

...I guess now everyone knows my "bad side," which is really only cynical and agitating.

Please forgive me. ...
Wow - that's a heck of an apology. You are forgiven!!!

We should all print this out and put it on the windshield of cars taking up two or three spaces in a jam-packed parking lot!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:36 AM
Zboy

"...I apologize for sounding like an a$$hole...

I slipped into a state of temporary insanity, and forgot to act like a rational human being. ...

...I guess now everyone knows my "bad side," which is really only cynical and agitating.

Please forgive me. ... "

LOL! Like z350z said, heck of an apology. If only OJ. Simpson could have said all this!
Old 07-18-2002, 11:19 AM
jazmin

Hey being a college kid I'd have to disagree with the college campus lot as being a bad place to park. A lot of kids that go to UCLA (where I just graduated from) drive very nice cars....and aren't stupid or bored enough to vandalize other people's nice cars. So if you want to avoid any "type" of driver, I'd advise you to avoid parking next to mad moms in minivans...because they're the ones who back into their own garage doors at home
(Oh yeah and avoid streets next to clubs where drunk people come out after clubbing....drunk people like to pee most anywhere and it might end up by the tire of ur Z)

Quick Reply: Painful Progression