Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Don't let dealer wash your car in prep.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 07:49 AM
raceboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't let dealer wash your car in prep.

I won't even let my dealer wash my car. They usually dry it with synthetic rags and you will already have swirlmarks!! First thing I am gonna do is put my car in the garage and get 4 or so good coats of wax/Zaino (whatever you want) on my baby. Paint will be well cured by the time our cars get here so that won't be a concern. Then to the tint shop. 1000 miles of break in where I usually drive it like normal just no hard running. Then the fun begins!!
Old 07-18-2002, 07:53 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

I know dealers are often useless, incompetent, and sometimes even dishonest, but I didn't realize they can't be trusted to even wash a car! I'll think twice about getting the free wash they give at service time (if Nissan dealers do this).
Old 07-18-2002, 07:58 AM
Zboy

Someone once saw a kid at one of the dealers wash their car with a BROOM!!!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:11 AM
raceboy
Banned

They use those freekin scrub brushes!! ARE THEY INSANE!!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:11 AM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default Car dealers

The last time I had my 300ZX in for service they washed my car, first off I only hand wash my cars, secondly I had just waxed it. When I got it back it had not so fine white scratches allover the newly waxed surface and scratched wheel rim edges. They washed it in an automated car wash and wiped it down with a dirt imbeded rag...thanks you morons. Had to wax and buff out again, even the plastic across the back end was scratched..had to use meguires plastic polish to get rid of those scratches. Thank but no thanks........they had illegals washing the cars, they spoke no english and they lied and tried to cover up if they damaged the cars so they wouldn't lose their jobs...the service manager told me that...go figure
Old 07-18-2002, 01:44 PM
TCL

Wouldn't it be harder to spot paint damage if you take delivery of a dirty car? I guess you have to weigh that against the probability of additional paint damage due to the type of washes described above.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:58 PM
jz350

when the time comes i am going to tell the dealer, not to touch anything, don't even remove the plastic that comes on the seats.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:48 PM
BigBadBuford

My advice would be to go down to the dealership and look at the cars they have already prepped in their lot. That will give you a good idea of how seriously they take their prep work. I was skeptical about the quality of my dealer's work after I had a bad experience with their service department, but after looking at the cars on their lot I don't have any worries about them prepping it for me. I looked over a few of their Super Black cars on their lot and they were immaculate without a swirl mark to be seen. Plus, if anything does happen in prep it is on them to fix it, not you.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:22 AM
Brad4rdHay

Buford, they have stuff that will covor up and marks created during prep. But, SOME dealers (some) do a decent job, and take the time to send their employees to a prep-excelence school.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:24 AM
wake88

My suggestion and solution to prep:

Let your salesperson and their sales manager know that you are concerned about your incoming Z and would like to be present during the prep. Also inquire as to whether they will have their Z qualified mechanic performing the task. Most dealers should not have a problem with this, especially since you are buying a relatively expensive car from them.

When they call you to let you know it has come in, schedule a time with them when you can show up to observe the prep procedure. Even if it won't be the same day you're picking it up, it's still worth it. You will learn a lot about how they prep vehicles and the mechanic will probably learn some valuable info on the Z from you. Since the mechanic is required to take it on a short trip and gas it up, you can accompany him (her) and be sure they aren't "overdoing it". Another perk is that you get to know your mechanic and can readily decide whether you'll be returning to that dealership for service. During the process you can ask them to omit any service they would like to perform (if you see it as being harmful) before it's too late. Less stress for everyone.

In this way, you know exactly what your car has been through since it came off the truck and will feel much more at ease with the delivery process. Especially if you are even a little paranoid about how your new car will be treated. Just my $.02

Steve
Old 07-19-2002, 03:33 AM
Todd

Wow, some of you are awfully paranoid. My Acura dealer has washed my car many times, since they wash every time I bring it in to be serviced, which sadly is a lot! They do a decent job as far as I can tell. The only thing they have screwed up sometimes is washing the inside of the rear windshield. But then again I've never owned a Nissan, so I don't know how good they do it since it is a lower end dealership.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:50 AM
jrreed350togo

I really doubt that the one and only carwash from your dealership would damage your car beyond repair. If you plan on taking her home and starting the wash & wax process from stratch anyway what's the big deal. Being concerned about the Break-in is valid but this carwash thing is whining to the extreme. Nobody is gonna **** on your car or sh@t on your paint. Why don't we tell them to take the plastic off the seats and rap it around the hood until you can buy a Bra...My goodness....
Old 07-19-2002, 05:01 AM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by jrreed350togo
I really doubt that the one and only carwash from your dealership would damage your car beyond repair. If you plan on taking her home and starting the wash & wax process from stratch anyway what's the big deal. Being concerned about the Break-in is valid but this carwash thing is whining to the extreme. Nobody is gonna **** on your car or sh@t on your paint. Why don't we tell them to take the plastic off the seats and rap it around the hood until you can buy a Bra...My goodness....
If you have silver or silverstone then you have nothing to really worry about, but if you have the brickyard, blue, or black do you really want to spend the first day of ownership buffing out your car? No your car won't be damaged beyond repair, I never said that. But it will get scratched up pretty good. The same people here telling you not to worry are the same type of people that take their cars through automated washes with abrasive nylon brushes. I cringe at the thought!
Old 07-19-2002, 08:09 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by raceboy

If you have silver or silverstone then you have nothing to really worry about, but if you have the brickyard, blue, or black do you really want to spend the first day of ownership buffing out your car? No your car won't be damaged beyond repair, I never said that. But it will get scratched up pretty good. The same people here telling you not to worry are the same type of people that take their cars through automated washes with abrasive nylon brushes. I cringe at the thought!
I'd say the Red and Black would the the two most suspectible to scratches, swirls, etc. The blue is metallic.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:08 AM
jrreed350togo

I for one do not take my car through the automated washer and I encourage people not to do so, but some of you act as if they use a rake to wash your car at the dealership. I've had a Black Dodge Avenger for the past 4 years and I know how hard it is to maintain a darker color. My point is if you want to complain about them trying to give you a nice shiny product before you leave then that's not letting them do their job. I'm glad I ordered Chrome Silver. I'll be driving and not waisting so much time waxing. Valid whining is allowed but a one time car wash is not valid. IMO
Old 07-22-2002, 07:16 PM
wake88

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jrreed350togo
If you plan on taking her home and starting the wash & wax process from stratch anyway what's the big deal.

That IS the big deal, you're starting from SCRATCH!...

...I'd rather start without scratches