Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Intro/Should I join the ban wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Drifting Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro/Should I join the ban wagon?

Hello everyone at my350z.com. First I like to introduce my self. I'm from Boston area. I drive a 95 240SX lightly modified, mostly suspension mods. Some of you might off seen my s/n on different 240sx forums...

Now that's out of the way let me ask the big Q. I have recently been saving up for the SR swap (JDM engine) on my car. I'm ready to do the swap mid next month. But I been doing some math and I asked myself this. Should I use the money for a down payment on a 350Z? I did some pro and cons on the decision.

Reasons to keep the 240sx has my project car.

2900 pound car with SR= 180 to 230(12 to 14psi) RWHP
SR engine is a tried and true engine, being turbo from the factory helps. They have been known to hit 400RWHP on stock internals.
Is the cheaper route to more power.
The car will be a giant killer. = )

Reasons to dump the project

The chassis while great it has it flaws. It's not stiff enough and the s14's are slightly chunky on the handling
The car is already 8 years old. Any money that invests in it I will never get it back. I'm planning on keeping the car for 3 or 4 more years. Not to mention the body is already starting to show it's age.
I'm going to get thrown in higher class in the solo 2 events.
The emission and insurance hassle that comes with a illegal Japanese engine.

Reasons buy a 350z.

VIRGING/NEW CAR
RWD owns all.
More advance and up to date chassis and suspension set up. I like the multi-link front and rear.
It has power in its stock form.
The engine has potential and the after market is all over the Z.
The looks are definitely growing on me.
The car has statues power. I'm sick of being classed has low-level rice boy. I want to be a mid level ricer. :P
I will have a more level playing field at the solo 2 races.
Very competitive car on it's prices bracket.

Reasons not to even think about the 350Z

The insurance rates will KILL me! I already pay 2600 a year for the 240sx. Yes I'm 19 and I live in the bad part of the city. Only tickets I had are running a stop light (really stupid) and loud exhaust ticket.
Committing to payments for 4-5 years.
Having to dive mostly stock for 4 years.
While the engine is 3.5L is still isn't turbo from the factory. From what hear it's an open deck engine. No one knows the limit to this engine yet.
Dealership mark ups!!!!!
This car is getting serious competition from 4 door sedans with 2.0L turbo engines

I have allot to think about. I know I love my s14. I'm seriously considering buying the 350z. I still have allot to learn about the wonders of financing and leasing a car. The best-case scenario is that I would keep the s14 has a beater and the 350z has a weekend/solo2/weekend track car. I would rarely drive it. For the 350z owners that are 35 and up. I know about the dangers of having a sports car and bieng young. What I do need is feedback from 350Z or 240sx owners. I though I share this with the 350z community and get some feed back.

Thanks in advance.
Help a fellow NISSAN fan boy out.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:34 PM
s9am_me

get a Z!! I have a friend with an S13 and he dropped an SR20 motor on it too. That's his project car. He said he likes the handling and performance of the Z.. but he said the insurance was too high for him. Plus, 240's were his first love. So i doubt he would switch.

Last edited by s9am_me; 03-24-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:42 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dealer markups are all but finished... look around if your local dealer is still doing it.

other than that, these damn 4 cyl are gettin fast, but Im sure your aware that theres more to a car than straight speed, and most are running 15-20PSI stock, how much potential does it have? and what is the reliability like?

if you can really afford it, then go for it, I dont think youll mind a stock car for a few years (tho I doubt you contain yourself, mods might be far and few between, but theyll happen) and yes its an open block design, it will limit top power, but by the time your up in that area, good chance someone will offer a new engine block for us. or theres always the world of custom goodies.

I saw a 240SX all modded a few months ago, looked real nice, he was sellin for like 23000 I think, it had like 330whp. donno how reasonable that price was. but sounded like a good amount to make on a used car.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:23 AM
MATIX

i had a SR'ed S14 and sold it to get my z, and have no regrets. Just a little sidenote though, an sr with stock internals is not gonna hit 400rwhp safely...you'll shoot a rod through the block way before you get to 400...but back to the main point, i wanst dissapointed at all sellin my SR'ed S14, and i dont htin you'll be either if you do make the switch
Old 03-25-2003, 05:42 AM
steve c

band wagon.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:28 AM
all_bark

sounds like the band is playing your song!
Old 03-25-2003, 07:45 AM
WayneTN

Here's yet another option. Don't do anything. What? Don't do anything, you say? It's an option.

Continue to save your money, but don't put any more of it into the older car. Take what would be equal to a car payment for a new Z each month and continue to save at that rate every month. Then, when your older car gets even older, say in 2 years, you'll be ready to get what you can for it and have a sizeable downpayment on a new (or almost new) Z or whatever better comes along - maybe even a turbo Z. You will be older, insurance may be less if you keep a good driving record, and the payments on the remainder of your new car will be less than they would be now. Better yet, you could even buy a 2-year-old Z where the original owner would have absorbed all of that "new car" depreciation for you (this would be a big financial savings for you). Who knows, you might even have a higher paying job and live in a better part of town by then. IMHO, this makes the most economical sense, but obviously the decision is yours.

Then there's the intangibles that make you want a new Z this afternoon. You just have to be willing to give up a lot to go for it now. I can tell by your lengthy analysis that you are smart, honest, and considering all alternatives. I have presented only one, but it is one that will give you both some financial freedom and also a great car in your 20's. I'm sure you will make the right decision.

Thanks for asking for our input.
WayneTN
Old 03-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Zakira

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm, I've had the same dilemma, too. I've owned an S13 since 1991 and own a 350Z since 9/02. I still love my stock S13 to death and it's my daily driver. I've been torn between doing the SR swap thing or modding the Z.
That said, if I could do it all over again with what I know now from owning a Z, I would not have bought the Z. Instead, I would mod my S13, to look like Tomikuda's S13 (I'm sure you know what that is since you're "Drifter Rice").
However, since I already do own a 350Z, I've decided to invest in it rather than the S13. But that's just me.

Now, my current dilemma is, should I mod my Z now or save that money for the next GT-R!? That's like you dilemma now, huh?
Old 03-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Drifting Ricer

Thanks your opinions guys.

ares: I'm not sure if your talking about the SR potential or not. They can be run at 12 to 14 psi and still be a reliable daily driver. The highest HP I saw for a SR is 800HP. That was that crazy JUN s14. With good tuning you can run 400HP on stock internals or with a headgasket. There couple guys on FA that pulled it off. A SR powered 240sx can run mid 14s.

WayneTN: That's definitely a good idea. Is hard not want a 350z/SR next month. Even If I decided on Z, I wouldn't buy it next month. I want to make a bigger down payment/wait for my safety step to lower down a bit this summer. The car wouldn't be parked here. Either way I win.

I wanted to get preliminary feedback. Before I make any calls to the hawks at the dealerships :P. Although I been quoted 4600 to 3000 on insurance a year. No way I can afford 4600 a year. I have to do some shopping around. If anyone have anymore feed back don't hold back.

The bang wagon is getting louder
Old 04-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Drifting Ricer

Default Update

I took the Z out for a test drive today. It basically feels like my 240sx but with more ballz. It was raining so, I couldn't corner like I wanted. Plus the really nice "test road" was blocked of today . But anyways the car feels smaller then my 240sx, on the inside. I know my 240sx is a 2 plus 2. I did miss shift on 3... I wasn't used to the shifter.

Overall
Great sounding machine.
Very nice stock handling with little body roll.
This car deff has it on the low end.
Very smooth machine.

But my 240sx feel lighter (suspension mods)
The car won't be sold above MSRP . I’m looking at 29,000 with taxes. I deff want the Daytona blue (which they didn't have). They will get one by mid MAY.

Hmm the plot thickens...... By this point I don't care much for a SR.