Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Totalled Zs: one sign Nissan did it right?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 02:11 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts
Default Totalled Zs: one sign Nissan did it right?!

After reading so many threads on wrecked 350Zs, I'm struck (no pun intended) at how many posters talk about everything but their injuries. These are not small shunts! Whether it's due to bad weather, bad judgement or circumstances beyond our control, the fact is these type of accidents used to KILL or MAIM drivers and passengers!

Don't get me wrong- there've also been posts of fatalities involving Zs as well. It makes you wonder that just because we jump into these powerful and wonderful cars doesn't mean we become immune to the laws of physics! The fact that many Z drivers have walked away from serious accidents makes me think Nissan did a great job in engineering crumple zones, airbag deployment and other safety systems.

Certainly, it's expensive when it comes to fixing (or replacing) a Z. But consider the costs involved in hospitalization, aftercare, therapy, pain and suffering from an accident- there's not even any comparison! Having a car well-engineered enough to help you survive a serious accident is a quality we take for granted all too easily.

Finally, I'm concerned Nissan may have done this job too well- that some Z pilots will assume the car will help them write checks that their skill level can't cash. And if the $hizbots hit the fan- oh well- the car will always protect them. Let's face it: the 350Z is an affordable, powerful, rear-wheel drive sportscar- in some ways it's a dying breed. Driving skill and good judgement is at a premium in the Z and mistakes remain costly.

Sorry for the rant- I'll try to save it for print!

David Muramoto
Senior Editor
Nissan Sport Magazine
www.nissansportmag.com
Old 12-31-2006, 02:19 PM
EatMyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend who wrecked the car was completely unhurt.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:35 PM
ouch1011

Cars that are structurally stiff/stable are generally good in accidents. It allows the body to crush and absorb the impact without causing the pass. compartment to deform.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:58 PM
DriveI65

Originally Posted by dkmura
Why be sorry for making intelligent observations? Great car, saves lives, don't be an idiot and drive safe. Three cheers for you!
Old 12-31-2006, 03:22 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A higher degree of perceived safety also leads to a higher degree of risk taking, thereby neutralizing things in the big picture. No matter how safe cars are made, people will still manage to off themselves.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:35 PM
jdm_Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up there david. How's the weather treating you in CO? My parents are there and last I heard from them was some blizard that hit about a week or 2 ago??
Old 12-31-2006, 05:33 PM
boomer gt

Regardless of a false security pertaining to the crash worthiness of the z or other new cars it remains conclusive evidence that driving while under the influence is a gross misjudgment and should be dealt with very harshly.

I have no thoughts of being invincible while behind the wheel of the Z.

I drive commercially for a living 80,000 lbs gross weight. Even behind the Peterbilt's wheel I know that I can cause as well as put myself in grave danger.

It's about RESPECT and good COMMON sense.

Usually this comes with age and life experience, not always but usually. Some people get it from the beginning. Alot don't and even some never do.

Make penalties more costly for inappropriate behavior.

Case in point is the drunk who hit me just after 2 weeks of having another DUI. 48 yrs old. He doesn't get yet.
Hopefully a long time in State prison will give him time to think.....wonder if it will help though.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:00 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by EatMyZ
My friend who wrecked the car was completely unhurt.
My point exactly: your friend got out of a big wreck without any injuries. The Z will probably never get the credit it deserves for saving his a$$! Some would even blame the car for losing control on a wet road...
Old 12-31-2006, 06:12 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by ouch1011
Cars that are structurally stiff/stable are generally good in accidents. It allows the body to crush and absorb the impact without causing the pass. compartment to deform.
Actually, "cars that are structurally stiff/stable" have been known to be lethal without properly engineered crumple zones. Why? A truly stiff chassis can transfer all the kinetic force of an impact into our poor, fragile bodies. There have been tales of race drivers being killed in relatively low impacts where the chassis itself didn't show much damage!

On the other hand, a modern monocoque body structure needs sufficient strength/stiffness to keep the cabin intact in the event of an accident.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:14 PM
arma

Originally Posted by dkmura
After reading so many threads on wrecked 350Zs, I'm struck (no pun intended) at how many posters talk about everything but their injuries. These are not small shunts! Whether it's due to bad weather, bad judgement or circumstances beyond our control, the fact is these type of accidents used to KILL or MAIM drivers and passengers!

Don't get me wrong- there've also been posts of fatalities involving Zs as well. It makes you wonder that just because we jump into these powerful and wonderful cars doesn't mean we become immune to the laws of physics! The fact that many Z drivers have walked away from serious accidents makes me think Nissan did a great job in engineering crumple zones, airbag deployment and other safety systems.

Certainly, it's expensive when it comes to fixing (or replacing) a Z. But consider the costs involved in hospitalization, aftercare, therapy, pain and suffering from an accident- there's not even any comparison! Having a car well-engineered enough to help you survive a serious accident is a quality we take for granted all too easily.

Finally, I'm concerned Nissan may have done this job too well- that some Z pilots will assume the car will help them write checks that their skill level can't cash. And if the $hizbots hit the fan- oh well- the car will always protect them. Let's face it: the 350Z is an affordable, powerful, rear-wheel drive sportscar- in some ways it's a dying breed. Driving skill and good judgement is at a premium in the Z and mistakes remain costly.

David Muramoto
Senior Editor
Nissan Sport Magazine
www.nissansportmag.com
most posts i see on here the person isnt hurt or just has scratches. i have read countless posts about srt4s and evos that some people love to bash and the wing and the person always survives! actually the last death i saw was that 'famous' post about the girl in the 100,000+ porsche that collided with the toll booth in cali so how ironic that u posted this!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:16 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by roast
A higher degree of perceived safety also leads to a higher degree of risk taking, thereby neutralizing things in the big picture. No matter how safe cars are made, people will still manage to off themselves.
There's a degree of truth to this, but I'd like to think that the majority of Z pilots have better skills and judgement than the general public. But this may be the rule, rather than the exception...
Old 12-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Blacryan

Being as i totaled my Z and I came out un-scathed... It amazes me and I am deadset on getting another Z for that very reason. That I could roll my car and biggest injury i have is a cut on my palm from climbing out the window.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:21 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Angry

Originally Posted by jdm_Z33
Nice write up there david. How's the weather treating you in CO? My parents are there and last I heard from them was some blizard that hit about a week or 2 ago??
Thanks for the props. As for the weather in Denver, the snow stopped two days ago and we've had blue skies and sunshine the last two days. Still, this is no time to pull the Z out of the garage. In fact, the snow is piled so high in front of that bay, I'm not sure WHEN it'll come out.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:24 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Anecdotal evidence shows that the 350Z is survivable in a high speed one vehicle accident. We are seeing lots of serious accidents that involve only one vehicle. Poor driver judgment is the cause.

Can a 350Z driver survive a 40 MPH head on collision with another vehicle? I don't care to be the test dummy.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:32 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by boomer gt
Regardless of a false security pertaining to the crash worthiness of the z or other new cars it remains conclusive evidence that driving while under the influence is a gross misjudgment and should be dealt with very harshly.

I have no thoughts of being invincible while behind the wheel of the Z.

I drive commercially for a living 80,000 lbs gross weight. Even behind the Peterbilt's wheel I know that I can cause as well as put myself in grave danger.

It's about RESPECT and good COMMON sense.

Usually this comes with age and life experience, not always but usually. Some people get it from the beginning. Alot don't and even some never do.

Make penalties more costly for inappropriate behavior.

Case in point is the drunk who hit me just after 2 weeks of having another DUI. 48 yrs old. He doesn't get yet.
Hopefully a long time in State prison will give him time to think.....wonder if it will help though.
Pro drivers usually get this...otherwise, they're not pros for very long! I share your beliefs on drunk driving, but respect and common sense don't always come with age and life experience. I believe that the level of driver training in this country are abysmal and partially responsible for poor judgement. Beyond offering harsh penalties, I wish high-performance driver training was better promoted or mandated to improve our over-the-road driving skills.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:37 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by davidv
Anecdotal evidence shows that the 350Z is survivable in a high speed one vehicle accident. We are seeing lots of serious accidents that involve only one vehicle. Poor driver judgment is the cause.

Can a 350Z driver survive a 40 MPH head on collision with another vehicle? I don't care to be the test dummy.
I'm not sure there are any cars with a good survival rate in a 40 MPH head-on accident! Have you seen the offset crash test videos in the HSI head-on tests at 20 MPH? Even the crash dummies say OUCH as they get mangled!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been in two demolition derbies, so you could say I've been in a lot of car accidents. I crashed my Z last year and I must say, it crashes well.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawn Dart
I've been in two demolition derbies, so you could say I've been in a lot of car accidents. I crashed my Z last year and I must say, it crashes well.

well as an F-16?
Old 01-01-2007, 03:40 AM
dc89kr

Originally Posted by arma
the last death i saw was that 'famous' post about the girl in the 100,000+ porsche that collided with the toll booth in cali so how ironic that u posted this!
that was so sad.. she used to go to my old school.
the worst part about this was the fact that the car kept rolling and ended up hitting the toll booth on the other side of the freeway and the car was a convertible.. you can just imagine what her face looked like after this..
Old 01-01-2007, 07:42 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dc89kr
that was so sad.. she used to go to my old school.
the worst part about this was the fact that the car kept rolling and ended up hitting the toll booth on the other side of the freeway and the car was a convertible.. you can just imagine what her face looked like after this..
(beautiful girl + fast car) - driving skills = free face removal. Did you see the pictures of the aftermath? No need wondering what her face looked like because she didn't have one.... just a patch of hair. It was very gruesome. Had she been driving a real car and not a convertible she could have possibly survived, but that's just speculation and another off-topic topic.

Quick Reply: Totalled Zs: one sign Nissan did it right?!