Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hey whats up guys need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 01:22 PM
Sky15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey whats up guys need some input.

Well 3 months ago I got a Mini Cooper S, well my dad bought it for me. I really didn't have a say in what I wanted. Now All I have is problems with it. It cost 25,000.00$ I know for like 4 Grand more I could get a 350Z. I have 20,000.00 Saved up. And I really want a Z instead of my Mini. I don't know what to do, snce its under my dads Company, I can't sell it, but with my moms help I can cause shes el presidente. I know this might sound really snoby and all, and I should be happy, but I didn't want the car in the first place, and I could of Payed halfs on the 350Z. What Should I do. Oh yea trying to convince my dad is like talking to a brick wall. Damn Southern Testa Dura Italians!!!!!!!

Thanks Guys and Gals
Old 03-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Inova

is the cooper s a manual shift? obviously anyone who could have the z instead of the mini would take it, but maybe you should look into buying aftermarket parts for the cooper instead of selling and gettin a z especially if you have no physical problems with the car. btw, is this your first car?
Old 03-30-2003, 05:49 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sure its snobby, but its good to have what you want too... Id say gang up on him with your mom.

but he did buy you the car, so gotta respect his choice somewhat... your gonna take a major depreciation hit by selling so soon, which is gonna hurt your case.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:23 AM
Sky15

It's a 6 spd like the Z, And I've take in it to the shop 4 times already to get things fixed. Its my second car. Im scared to do aftermarket, because the car seems to have problems, and i f i void warentee im screwed if it breaks down which i know it will with all these problems already. I'll just have to wait and see. Also id I do sell it I could get 24000-25000$ WHen I paid like 24000$ SO its gonna be really close to what I got it for.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:37 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Wanna know why you Mini is so high maintenance? Because it's made my BMW. (I'm not bitter, I swear.)

But in all seriousness, you should be glad your dad bought you a car at all. While it may not be what you wanted, it's transportation--and you don't have to beg to borrow your parents' cars when you want to go out. Just play things mellow if you REALLY need the Z. Maybe show some mautre responsible actions by taking very good care of your Mini and continuing to save up for the Z.

It's not like the Z will be disappearing any time soon. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:16 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
Wanna know why you Mini is so high maintenance? Because it's made my BMW. (I'm not bitter, I swear.)

But in all seriousness, you should be glad your dad bought you a car at all. While it may not be what you wanted, it's transportation--and you don't have to beg to borrow your parents' cars when you want to go out. Just play things mellow if you REALLY need the Z. Maybe show some mautre responsible actions by taking very good care of your Mini and continuing to save up for the Z.

It's not like the Z will be disappearing any time soon. Good luck.
I have to agree with Christi. If your Mini is SO bad, lemon it and get a Z. Otherwise, hang on to it and enjoy the fact that its free and you have a very generous father.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:48 AM
ZNUTS

YOUR LUCKY TO HAVE SOMEONE BUY YOU A CAR.WHEN TOU GROW UP YOU CAN BUY YOUR OWN CAR AND PICK WHAT YOU WANT.MOST KIDS WOULD BE HAPPY WITH ANY CLUNKER.MY TWO KIDS BOUGHT THIER OWN AND HAVE "NO" COMPLAINTS
Old 03-31-2003, 11:42 AM
Sky15

Good for your kids. I do work and go to skool. And Have 20,000.00 Saved up. I was brought up different, were i'm kids live with there parents till their married, I weas raised different, my dad wants me to have things he didn't.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:49 AM
bigpickle

Can you be more specific in the problems you've been dealing with. A friend of mine wants one and I'm trying to talk him down. Cause, well I dont wanna ride in it!
Old 03-31-2003, 12:01 PM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

'Sorry to hear you're having problems - I've always thought the Mini's were pretty neat. What kind of problems???
Old 03-31-2003, 02:16 PM
Sky15

Ok, heres a bit of it. The first week I had it My Right ABS Tire sensor broke. SO I didnt have ABS for a week, Then I had a dent in the back(which isnt really a mechanical problem.) My cd doesn't come out. When I was in Toronto my Seat jammed up, and i brought it in to Mini in Toronto. Sometimes when I start my car my heat/AC or windows don't work, So i Have to restart it a couple times. I have a paint chip on the inner spoiler, and a dent on the roof. I have no clue how the hell that happened, And I think the car is cheaplly made. That's about all for now, which is a big list for only haveing it 61 days.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:48 PM
Inova

wow that is a lot of problems for something that is built by bmw.... maybe you should yell at the salesperson and make him either give you a new car or demand your money back. the z shouldnt cost that much. but definately wait it out and see what happens. im not sure about how many mini's they make but i dont recall seeing too many out on the streets of houston, so you might be able to sell it for much more than what its supposed to be worth...
Old 03-31-2003, 04:57 PM
breakerboy

u said u bought the car for 24k,.. and u think u can get 24-25k if u sell it? that makes no sense, cars loose thousands the second u take ownership and leave the lot..
Old 03-31-2003, 11:13 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by breakerboy
u said u bought the car for 24k,.. and u think u can get 24-25k if u sell it? that makes no sense, cars loose thousands the second u take ownership and leave the lot..
While I don't agree with getting expensive cars handed to you, I do have to say that people should chill out on this guy that don't agree with it.

I don't know what the car costs, but I am guessing maybe his father got a deal on the car, so that is why he figures he can get close to what was paid for it? Just a thought.

I would say definitely no to the modding. This is going to crack people up. There is a mod package for like $5000 I think it is, dealer installed, that adds an exhaust, intake, header, and supercharger (might not add a header, not sure). This kit adds about FIFTEEN HORSEPOWER. That is what I read in AutoWeek at least, haha, pretty terrible.

The more people post here about the situation of getting a Z at a young age the more I think about how I have seen people at age 16 get VERY expensive cars. It has made me think that where a $28-37k dollar car might be a "nice" car to most of us, it might be a drop in the bucket for some families, so it is relative. Not saying I agree, or it's right, just something to think about. To address the other side though, I know tons of people who died in overpowered cars in high school when I was growing up. Responsibility is the key factor I think here.

Anyhow, I'd say prepare your case, and go at your father with your mom and list all the safety features and reliability of Nissan's and Japanese cars in general. Traction control, ABS, dynamic braking or whatever it's called, side airbags in addition to regular airbags, cheaper maintenance both in parts and labor, all good points.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Sky15

I'm not 16, Im 20. So I'm really not that young. Pluse I have my own money, I was thinking if I can get good trade in, or sell it I have enough money, and need to add some of mine to purchase a Z.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:17 PM
Cintel7

I say just talk to your dad about it and he might even agree to get you the Z also. If he loves you enough to get you a nice car, then you must be a good son and he's a great dad. If you don't have any issues with your relationship with him, then just tell him what you want, with respect of course.

worse thing is he be a little mad at you, good thing is you and your dad might go the nissan dealer this weekend.