Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:04 PM
BlackoutZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never happened to me, it just seems like I cant ever fill up to 20 gallons.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:20 AM
zmansoon

My car now has 1400 miles. This has happened to me far to many times!!!! I am keeping all my gas reciepts in case I need to prove anything to Nissan later.

Lets see, I have one for 49 cents, one for 15 cents, one for $10, one for $5.... and within that $10 receipt it shut off like 5 times, maybe more.

I love my Z, but this problem has to be fixed, I will be contacting my dealer if this happens again.

Also, I have tried all the different angles and such, no luck, it still shuts off.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:27 AM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by zmansoon
My car now has 1400 miles. This has happened to me far to many times!!!! I am keeping all my gas reciepts in case I need to prove anything to Nissan later.

Lets see, I have one for 49 cents, one for 15 cents, one for $10, one for $5.... and within that $10 receipt it shut off like 5 times, maybe more.

I love my Z, but this problem has to be fixed, I will be contacting my dealer if this happens again.

Also, I have tried all the different angles and such, no luck, it still shuts off.
i've had my z for 2 years. it happens to me too...but, only when i can't put any more gas in!
Old 08-23-2004, 04:19 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, yesterday i had the opposite problem.

for the first time in the year i had this car, the nozzle did not click off. it overflowed and shot all over my foot.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Masterfulks

I guess we'll need to start carrying funnels

This topic jinxed me....My Z has been mostly free of this gas problem after 6500 miles UNTIL TONIGHT! When its shut off early before I've just squeezed again and it filled up.

But tonight I spent a few minutes pumping fractions of a gallon in until I had it around full.

Same gas station that I always use....
Old 08-23-2004, 08:16 PM
1DeepG

Originally posted by explortainment
ok you guys....the reason the pump kicks off is because gas is splashing back and kicking on the overfill preventer, all you have to do when this happens is pull the nozzle out a half of an inch and try again, the nozzle doesn't have to be all the way in the hole for you to pump gas (which is probably what you do when you get mad that it keeps shutting off, you push it in harder), so just keep trying, and pulling the nozzle out a little each time it shuts off ntil it works for you.
This is what I was told also. It also has to do with the seals on the noozle and some may be worn out. I think the angle our gas filler does not help also, may trigger these actions. Yes I had this happen to me, and by pulling out some it started to work.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:12 AM
asatyss

I have had the smae problem. I have filled my Z with gas 2 times so far and both times I have had the problem. I have never had to just give up though. I just kept trying until the gas started flowing. Both times I went really slow pulling the lever until it got to the first notch on the handle and I usually just end up leaving it there. The first time I tried to fill up I shot gas all over my shoes and hands.

In my mind it is a small price to pay to drive such a sweet car. If that is my only problem, I will be just fine.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:44 AM
cedusett

This is not a Z problem, it's a pump problem.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:55 AM
phile

Originally posted by cedusett
This is not a Z problem, it's a pump problem.
How do you figure. I've never had that problem with any other car, and yet at numerous different gas stations across the country, people are having a problem filling the Z. Sounds like a Z problem to me.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Bill d

15 months.... NO PROBLEMO
Old 08-24-2004, 11:35 AM
cedusett

How do you figure. I've never had that problem with any other car, and yet at numerous different gas stations across the country, people are having a problem filling the Z. Sounds like a Z problem to me.
I've had this problem off and on in multiple cars including the Z.

I've always noticed that I can find a pump somewhere where I don't have the problem, but usually if I go back to the problematic pump (with the z or any other car) the problem still exists.

It could be said that the Z's gas tank was designed in such a way that pumps are having problems with splash back, but if that was the case everyone would be having these problems. It's not like a TSB where some gas tanks were deformed and are causing this problem.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:37 PM
seabass

I pull the nozzle all the way out and stick it in half way and it always solves the problem. Similar to what Explortainment posted.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by explortainment
ok you guys....the reason the pump kicks off is because gas is splashing back and kicking on the overfill preventer, all you have to do when this happens is pull the nozzle out a half of an inch and try again, the nozzle doesn't have to be all the way in the hole for you to pump gas (which is probably what you do when you get mad that it keeps shutting off, you push it in harder), so just keep trying, and pulling the nozzle out a little each time it shuts off ntil it works for you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-25-2004, 04:53 AM
Gerry

Ive had this problem several times also and it is a Z problem! I was told on another forum that there is a flap or a valve that does not open in the tank. I have found that if I fill up at a 1/4 tank it happens, and if I let it go way down then it will fill up. This is a very annoying problem when you can only fill a 1/2 tank!
Old 08-25-2004, 05:21 AM
qwsxz

funny funny, a flap that doesn't work...

I have had this problem on honda/acura, ford, and mazda. Same solution everytime: Pull the nozzle out a little and try again.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:34 AM
Gerry

Originally posted by qwsxz
funny funny, a flap that doesn't work...

I have had this problem on honda/acura, ford, and mazda. Same solution everytime: Pull the nozzle out a little and try again.
done all that, practically turn the thing upside down, even tried shaking the car, no matter what the gas will not go in. It has to do with pressure, not the actual amount of fuel in the tank! I have had several cars and I have never seen anything like this. Ive spent an extra 15 minutes at the station trying everything. I had read that this should only happen when the car is new and once this flap or valve gets lubed with fuel it will work ok, but I just had this happen at 7500 miles again!
Old 08-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Jim Yandell

The Shell station I go to has nine pumps. There are "good pumps" and "bad pumps". I've learned to avoid pump #3, as it always gives me problems and the others work just fine. Consider this before getting angry and driving off to another station!
Old 10-11-2004, 06:36 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1400 miles... 5 fill ups, 5 times I have had this problem (well one was not a fill up, was like $2 since I got pissed and left).

As I type I reek of gas since it shot onto my hands.

Its not the pump, I have used these pumps MANY times with my old car and my wifes car with ZERO problems I have yet to find a pump (out of three startions) that works well so far.

I will keep trying, not happy though
Old 10-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Spider883

I have had this problem ever since I got the car 4 months ago and have put 6000 miles on it.. I fill up every wednesday on my way to the local car meet. I stop by a gas station on my way there and then on my way back i stop again to fill up the rest of it. I have tried everything but nothing works.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:36 AM
DrVolkl

There's definitely something going on with the Z's gas tank.

I never had the problem until about a month ago...and it was both my gas guage and my tank being off.

Then it went away and hasn't come back. I haven't had any problems with the gas tank in 4 fill ups or so...crossing my fingers.

Like someone else said, there may be some sort of extra splash back due to the nature of our tank, and some pumps are more sensitive than others. Who knows.

I've owned 11 cars and trucks over the years, and I've never had this sort of problem.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:31 PM
insane350z

Originally posted by djkern
do i have some sort of super z.....or did they actually take time to inpect my car and put it together right....or did they just forget to put some care and effort into every other z out there???

i've NEVER had a problem filling up gas. i have NO tire feathering problems. i have NO streaking on the windows. i have ABSOLUTELY NO problems with my car. everything runs perfect and everything works. i guess i lucked out.
DITTO with my 04. Guess I got one that was actually inspected and lucked out too cuz everyting works perfect and runs perfect.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?