Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 04:55 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, now i'm starting to have problems. The gas tank won't fill up all the way. When i look at the DTE meter, it says around +-250. I remember before sometimes it would actually go to +-330 miles DTE.

Is there a TSB for this? Or are the dealers aware of this problem and I can just take the car and they'll replace it?
Old 12-27-2004, 05:52 AM
ThrillZ

Didn't read all the posts so I apologize if someone has already stated this...

But I believe it is not an issue with your car but an issue with the pumps. Excess air pressure gets trapped within the pump itself and cuts of the fuel supply haphazardly.

It apparently happens when it is very cold or if the pumps you use are of an old design.

I am not 100% on this but this is what I was told by a guy who works for BP.

Big PITA
Old 12-27-2004, 07:50 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

so what is it that we have to do, wait for the gas to "sit" to keep filling it? The thing is that if i keep tapping the gas pump it looks like it's about to spill (you know how you can hear when something is almost full) and sometimes spills over, yet the tank is not full.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:57 AM
ThrillZ

Originally posted by Jun
so what is it that we have to do, wait for the gas to "sit" to keep filling it? The thing is that if i keep tapping the gas pump it looks like it's about to spill (you know how you can hear when something is almost full) and sometimes spills over, yet the tank is not full.
Sorry Jun, I don't have a good answer for you.
If I can get one, I will post it to you.

It pisses me off also, believe you me.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:16 AM
DrVolkl

Mine "fixed" itself. I have no idea why it started or how it ended...just that it lasted about 3 fill ups.

Best of luck to ya.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:43 PM
dkny_boi

Originally posted by Jun
The problem i had, that was the solution before i got it fixed... i'd fill it, and literally watch the fuel drain down... then fill a bit more...

But i had a different problem than you, i can still fill mine as full as when i first got it, it just kept clicking off before, like fill for a couple seconds and 'clunk' then wait... etc
Old 12-27-2004, 02:02 PM
AmateuRN

I have a G35 and this happens....just thought it was something mine did...weird. Sometimes its worse then others...usually it stops at 3/4 tank...I'm happy with that, I dont take long trips. Am I the only G owner that has posted having this problem in this thread? Hehe, sorry, I know I don't belong in this forum! <-- N00b
Old 12-27-2004, 02:20 PM
Masterfulks

This happened to me again last night. The first time in months it seems....

I got around it by only pressing the handle about a third or halfway....
Old 12-27-2004, 02:45 PM
southern_info

You have to pump the gas slow and put it on the slowest level setting on the pump and you should not have any problems. I also had this problem but recognize it after the second time fueling my car.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:18 PM
350ROB

You would have thinked they fixed this but I have an 05 and it takes me 3-5 trys to get it to full.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:35 PM
southern_info

Cool

Pump the gas slow on the lowest setting on the pump and just round it up to the next dollar. You should be full with no problems of course if you pump it fast it's not going to be full. I realize this after my second time at the pump and i guess it has something to do with the angle the gas flows into the tank. You just have to be patient and it's going to take you about 5+ minutes to pump the gas from empty to full standing in the freaking cold....lol
Old 12-31-2004, 05:32 AM
IsatteliteI

Default Re: Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?

Originally posted by Zmoney
When I try to fill up the pump quits on me like 4 or 5 times. I guess the gas is flowing too fast so it shuts the pump off. So I have to pump the gas real slow and it takes for ever. I can never tell if its completely full.

Are you guys experiencing the same thing?

I have tried pullling the nozzle out a bit, along with trying different angles but I still have to pump at half throttle.

Forgive me if this doesnt make sense, its 6a.m. here!
I live in Jersey so we're not allowed to pump our own gas but there's this gas station by work that this always happens to. It's a mobil but the mobil by my house that I usually go to is ok. I've stopped going to the one from work because the guy started getting all frustrated every time I pulled upl. It was always a 15 minute ordeal and they're usually pretty busy. My advice to you is to try and find another gas station.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:18 AM
Zcarboy

Default Re: Re: Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?

Originally posted by IsatteliteI
I live in Jersey so we're not allowed to pump our own gas but there's this gas station by work that this always happens to. It's a mobil but the mobil by my house that I usually go to is ok. I've stopped going to the one from work because the guy started getting all frustrated every time I pulled upl. It was always a 15 minute ordeal and they're usually pretty busy. My advice to you is to try and find another gas station.
I hear you. I too live in NJ I found if you park the Z further from the pump it doesn't click off as much. But being in NJ were not allowed to just go to the pump and keep putting in gas when it clicks.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:03 PM
s4m222

ive had this problem in an accord once, but a different pump worked... try another pump if not i have no clue
Old 01-16-2005, 05:58 PM
dashboard

i'm having this problem with my 05' enthusiast,,i'm just waiting for my first change oil so i could talk to my car dealer.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:28 PM
dkny_boi

Originally posted by southern_info
Pump the gas slow on the lowest setting on the pump and just round it up to the next dollar. You should be full with no problems of course if you pump it fast it's not going to be full. I realize this after my second time at the pump and i guess it has something to do with the angle the gas flows into the tank. You just have to be patient and it's going to take you about 5+ minutes to pump the gas from empty to full standing in the freaking cold....lol
So ur doing this every time you fill up? How come you haven't asked to get it fixed under warranty? If you have, then don't mind me, i'm just wondering why you put up with a problem if you don't have to
Old 01-17-2005, 04:59 AM
Asterix

The gas tank is a like a saddle straddling the differential. I just saw one up on a lift. What I think may be happening is if the pump is too fast, the close side gets filled up enough to make the pump shut off. If you pump slowly, the gas won't splash and shut off the pump. Some pumps will pump faster than others on the high setting, so some pumps will give you more trouble than others. That's how Nissan crammed a 20-gallon tank into our little car.

Asterix
Old 01-17-2005, 07:32 AM
dkny_boi

Originally posted by Asterix
The gas tank is a like a saddle straddling the differential. I just saw one up on a lift. What I think may be happening is if the pump is too fast, the close side gets filled up enough to make the pump shut off. If you pump slowly, the gas won't splash and shut off the pump. Some pumps will pump faster than others on the high setting, so some pumps will give you more trouble than others. That's how Nissan crammed a 20-gallon tank into our little car.

Asterix
hahahahaha
I'm sorry, that kinda put a smile on my face... i thought i've heard of all the possible excuses already for this problem. I mean, you guys who have tire feathering issues don't hesitate to hassle the dealership day and night, but with something like this, you just come up with outrageous excuses.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Asterix

This was not an excuse, merely an observation. More information for the mill. Nothing else. I personally had no idea the tank was saddle shaped. It's unusual, in my limited experience.

Now that I reread the thread, I see you had a problem with your check valve. That's great. You solved your problem. That may be other people's problem. I've never had trouble filling my tank, though the gauge is overly-pessimistic so rarely reads full. My fault for not reading the whole thread carefully.

Asterix
Old 01-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

No, not even filling it up slowly solves the problem. Because i've had my car stop the pump, got in the car, driven, realized it's not full, went to put gas again, waited, pumped it slowly, and it overspills, even though the gas tank is not full.

As i said, i'm taking my car in to get the fuel pump replaced, that's what the dealer claims is malfunctioning, so as soon as I get that done, i'll let you guys know if this solved the problem.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?