Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 09:57 AM
doboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it has to do with the pump your using, I go to the same gas station everytime and 2 of the 10 pumps will do this with the z and the others work pretty good, the thing is my gas gauge hardly ever reads totally full when I'm done. Also on my last long trip my gauge was reading 1/4 tank and the meter told me I had 80 miles left on this tank, and with in seconds the gauge dropped to below empty and miles left went to flashing lines, and this happend right after passing the exit. Man was I crapping my pants.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:33 AM
oren

you know what i find works for me if i turn the gas nozzle counter clockwise to about 9oclock and the problem goes away. give it a shot , thats the only way i can get a full tank.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:57 PM
capnfrantic

Could'nt get gas to go in... Nissan replaced Evap. can and some hose or tube. Tried to fill up again, no go. Nissan now has a fuel tank on order. This is a known problem on the Z. I have a 05'
Old 04-24-2005, 08:57 AM
zmansoon

Originally Posted by capnfrantic
Could'nt get gas to go in... Nissan replaced Evap. can and some hose or tube. Tried to fill up again, no go. Nissan now has a fuel tank on order. This is a known problem on the Z. I have a 05'
Good to know, tell us if that actually fixes it. My problem went away around 4k miles or so, I have 6.5k now. Maybe there is a break-in period for putting gas in these cars!!!
Old 04-24-2005, 11:41 AM
kpiskin

I just got a 2003 touring model and had this problem the first time I filled up. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was on a slight incline. I read in this thread about this being a possible problem. Since then I've fueled three times at pumps where the ground was as level as possible and each time completely filled the tank.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:35 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

At 19,000 miles, I'm starting to have some trouble filling up: it costs almost $50!!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:42 PM
bcheng4jc

my tank was 3/4 empty so i stopped by a full service gas station. i asked him to fill up and he only put in like 20 bucks and my tank was only like half full. pump kept on shutting on him, so i had to fill up at another gas station.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:22 PM
kernul

Yeah I'm having the same problem too. Some stations work better then others but still we shouldn't have do deal with this every time we fill up the tank. I went to a local dealer to have it fixed and he claimed that he had never heard about the problem and wouldn't believe me. He also said that Nissan hadn't issued any service bulletins on this issue.

Someone said to contact Nissan technical support. Does anyone have that number? I have a 2005 Z that is about 2 months old now. I'm suprised they never got this fixed over the course of 3 model years.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:12 PM
capnfrantic

Nissan is aware of this problem. I have an 05' that just had a tank put in. Seems they said a flapper was geting stuck? Mine would spit gas at you when trying to fill. Did'nt happen at every station though. Service guy called Nissan, checked evap. cannister then replaced tank. No problems so far.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:41 PM
kernul

Well I finally got the dealership to put in the new gas tank. I have filled it up twice so far with no problems at all. It looks like the new tank fixed it.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:58 PM
partyman66

I'm too lazy to read this entire thread, and this might already be mentioned somewhere in this.... but I have heard from some other G35 Coupe owners that if you fill the tank with the nozzle going in upside down, that it won't do this.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:54 PM
datahead30

Default Fillup problems

Well I'll tell u this.I'm retired now but I work at SAM'S Club in AZ.I see this all the time on certain makes of cars including my 2005Z.All pumps have a vapor recovery tube inside of the pump hose along with a filler tube,approx. half inch in dia. inside the hose.You pump 1 gal. in you must take 1gal. of vapor back to main tank.There is a vapor pump inside the pump.Chevy SUV's like the midsize ones along with Buick Raniers,Volvo 60's and newer Dodge Durango's have over flow problems.I think it is because u can't get air out fast enough.Air is collected through small holes in nozzle end.

2005 Enthu.,rdstr.,yellow
Old 06-03-2005, 10:31 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have this problem all the time. If I blast at full speed, it shuts off at half the tank. But if I fill it at slow speed, it fills up to 90%... it's time I bring my car in. I just can't time it right so that when I bring my car in, the tank is empty for the service guys to try it out.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:56 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same problem (pump clicking off)....I always fill up at the same chevron, at the same pump. sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. the last time I thought I finally figured it out after messing with any variety of the suggested fixes (turn the nossle upside down, bring it a few inches out, push it all the way in....etc, etc.) but then the thing overflowed and spewed gas all over the car/rims/my pants. time to take the car back in for service so I can hear another excuse why the aren't gonna fix it....
Old 04-30-2006, 09:47 PM
dkorr

Originally Posted by cedusett
This is not a Z problem, it's a pump problem.
its not a pump problem. its the car. i've been using the same pump for years. a pump didnt work at first. then i went back to it an hr later and it worked.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:39 PM
roast

lol I used to have this problem badly... from the sounds of it probably worse than anyone here because it happened damn near EVERY time I got gas over the course of 2 years. Which pump or station you went to didn't matter. The weather didnt matter. How you held the pump didn't matter. The way you pulled up to the pump didn't matter. If you stood on one foot did a little dance and touched your nose, it still didn't matter. You weren't getting a full tank in that beyotch without some serious effort.

I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt something was wrong with the car. It finally annoyed me to the point I took it to the dealer and there was a TSB/recall on the shutter valve (faulty valve causes the pump to shut off early) which took care of the problem. This was on an 04.5 base. Now when I run my car to 0 miles DTE, I fill up and get 17 gallons right on the dot (3 gallon reserve). Full tank every time. No more hassle.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:25 AM
roast

Originally Posted by SHO-TIME
I have this problem all the time. If I blast at full speed, it shuts off at half the tank. But if I fill it at slow speed, it fills up to 90%... it's time I bring my car in. I just can't time it right so that when I bring my car in, the tank is empty for the service guys to try it out.
They should not need to try it out for themselves. Just tell them what the deal is and they will fix it. It is a very common problem. My service adviser already knew about the problem and I didn't get any hassles at all. Also when you take it in, the tank should be as empty as possible, not so they can test it out, but because they will have to syphon it out anyway to perform the work.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB05-048.htm
Old 05-01-2006, 04:29 PM
jerryv

I have had this problem with my '04 Touring. In my experience it is more station related. I was having a lot of trouble and stopped using that station and I have not had the problem since.

I do however have problems getting the latch to open - I press the button a couple times and something it does not pop open. Eventually after a couple presses it does. Now I just automatically give it two good presses before I get out and that usually always works.

/Jerry
Old 05-01-2006, 05:51 PM
MeetJoeAsian

never had this problem with the Z....had problem occassionally it with my previous cars...now, I just don't turn off my car when i fill up....

but ummm...it's not the car's fault....
Old 05-01-2006, 05:58 PM
roast

You don't turn your car off? Don't you have any consideration for the other people around you??

Quick Reply: Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?