2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Comparisons; 350Z, Beetle Turbo S, Audi TT, and a MB Sports Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 09:10 AM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cOMPARISONS

Originally posted by rai
Point one all the cars you listed are either 2+2 or 4 seats except the Z. Can you live with 2 seats and 6 cubic feet? I owned a Z3 and a long weekend was all it was good for but for normal driving it is fine.

point 2. I think the audi and the Z are close in weight, the beetle is lighter. I'm not sure about the MB, but lighter cars are not as safe as heavy cars. I was thinking about getting a Mini but was scared of its low curb weight. My rule of thumb is if you are looking for safe than look over 3000 pounds. In this regard the Z's portlyness is an advantage.

point 3. If you are looking at the audi than only the quatro will do, why else bother with a tt unless you want a quatro. Now if you are willing to spend $36K, than you must also look at the BMW 325/330. I would go BMW if I were going german. The 330 Ci is one of the best cars sold today.

point 4. If you can live with the Z's 2-seats, and you are looking for performance, than it is the clear winner. It will eat the other cars for lunch. You may think the tt will be close in the twisties, but I am sure with a skilled driver the Z will walk away. Now with an unskilled driver, the quatro may be some benifet, but I plan on taking some driving classes so I can better use the Z to it's full potential.

point 5. The beetle and tt being turbos can be computer chipped to improve boost and thus HP. But this may void the warranty, and may harm the engine. If it were such a great thing don't you think the factory would do it themselves?

Bottom line for me it seems to be a choice between the Z (track)and the 330 Ci. I would take either one, but the Z has a nice price advantage. If you are looking at the performance Z the price difference is even greater.
I also considered a 330iC, but I liked the Acura RSX-S better and had planned to buy in May. When the preorder came out on the Z, all thoughts of BMWs and Acuras went South and I ordered the Z, sight unseen except for photos. Many of the preorderers have at least seen the car, some have sat in one, etc. I haven't, I took a chance ordering one since I'm 6' 5" by 285 lbs but, I will fit just fine. The cockpit of the Z seems fit almost everyone, judging from the reports. Neither of my 2 previous choices have as much performance as the Z.

Boomer
BR/FR/AT
Old 07-23-2002, 05:44 PM
NUJOYZ

Default Numbers don't always tell the whole story...

Numbers don't always tell the whole story.....Learn how to drive a 325 or 330 and you'll see that they are a LOT quicker than their numbers would account for.

Same goes for the VQ engine and inherently, the Z. Don't let that 287 number fool you. Get them tested under the "right" conditions and you'll see that number drop.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:39 PM
Znith

WRX...SLOW? Road and Track, the same mag that ran the first test of the 350Z, recorded the WRX 0-60 of 5.4 and the 1/4 in 14.1...(If my memory serves me correctly) That would put it exactly in 350Z territory and faster than the other cars on your list. Of course, to utilize the turbo, a high rpm launch would be necessarry to duplicate such figures. But having spent considerable time in the wrx, I would put it right behind the Z on your list. Z wins for handling, torque, and definately in style. But I do think the WRX looks great for what it is...a $24,000 awd family hauler. I realize the WRX wasn't on your list, but if the Beetle appeals to you, and you're worried about a back seat, then the WRX should be seriously considered. Although, if it were my money, I would stick with the Z. It's a no brainer.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:32 PM
rai

I think he didn't list the wrx because no head airbags. I believe this feature for me is not manditory, but I put it on my list of nice feature to have.

As for the WRX 1/4 mile time 14.1 sec was in C&D. The reason people may not be getting this themselves is because you have to abuse the car by doing a 5000 rpm clutch drop. Most people that put down their own hard cash will not be doing this too often if at all. It's called risk aversion.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:46 PM
Znith

I knew it was one of those magazines. I hate to post inaccurate info. Sometimes all those stats run together. I agree with your opinion on risk aversion. I am just saying that it can be done. I won't even get into the argument of modding and what could be done to car a for the price you pay for car b. I don't think that is the point here. But I will say the Subee does its job well in my opinion. However, it is certainly not the car to get if you are wanting your vehicle to project an image of sophistication and style. For the money, the Z is the lone choice for a new sports car in terms of style, refinement, and performance.