Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First 350Z RB26DETT in the World.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 06:19 AM
poweraddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by phile
Wouldn't it suck if one of us switched out our motors and the VQ ended up being just as capable.. But that's not feasible because the RB26DETT comes with a factory turbo with low compression.... or am i wrong?

No because, Its cheaper the way I did it, then say...If I were to buy a twin turbo kit. I know the VQ won't ever see the power outputs of the RB for many years, if it ever does.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:38 AM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to get a NSX engine for my s2000 now.....

Simply awesome, nice work.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:31 AM
phile

Originally posted by poweraddict
No because, Its cheaper the way I did it, then say...If I were to buy a twin turbo kit. I know the VQ won't ever see the power outputs of the RB for many years, if it ever does.
I'd assume dropping 5k into a turbo, and 2k in various other mods is cheaper than switching out our engine for a RB26DETT, and other mods to boost hp. This sucks...it seems like it's pointless to mod the VQ
Old 04-11-2003, 07:38 AM
christurismohk

Question: Is US getting a 350z RE26DETT engine swap before Japan?? If so, I guess we can be as crazy as the japanese...if you know what i mean...
Old 04-11-2003, 10:03 AM
phile

Originally posted by christurismohk
Question: Is US getting a 350z RE26DETT engine swap before Japan?? If so, I guess we can be as crazy as the japanese...if you know what i mean...
well the reason why I said what I said above is that since a turbo is 5k, and a used RE26DETT is 4,500, wouldn't getting the latter be a better investment, hence making it pointless to mod the VQ...
Old 04-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Importlife.com

Everone seems to have Turbo envy, including myself. But be cautious.

You can build a 11 second 350Z, it's not that far fetched.

If you install headers, y pipe, exhaust, remove cats, add a direct port nitrous system, remove some weight to make room for roll cage, get some drag radials on 16s, you will be 11s.

How much faster do you want to go in your brand new Z? It's only 2003 and the cars only been out for SIX MONTHS!

I commend the engine swap, Its so phat I am still gleaming from the pics of that engine bay.

but everyone on this board seems to be rushing for 900whp! good luck. but you may end up ruining your investment on one of the best balanced sports cars ever made for under $50k.

Don't get me wrong, i am investigating all turbo options as well. Just dont demand MKIV Supra or Skyline modability on your 2003 350Z. Take your time. wait for companies like Top Secret to battle other tuning companies. Being first is great and fun, but who wants a service nightmare?
Old 04-11-2003, 10:46 AM
phile

Originally posted by Importlife.com

Everone seems to have Turbo envy, including myself. But be cautious.

If you install headers, y pipe, exhaust, remove cats, add a direct port nitrous system, remove some weight to make room for roll cage, get some drag radials on 16s, you will be 11s.

How much faster do you want to go in your brand new Z? It's only 2003 and the cars only been out for SIX MONTHS!

I commend the engine swap, Its so phat I am still gleaming from the pics of that engine bay.

but everyone on this board seems to be rushing for 900whp! good luck. but you may end up ruining your investment on one of the best balanced sports cars ever made for under $50k.

Don't get me wrong, i am investigating all turbo options as well. Just dont demand MKIV Supra or Skyline modability on your 2003 350Z. Take your time. wait for companies like Top Secret to battle other tuning companies. Being first is great and fun, but who wants a service nightmare?
good point. How much Hp would it take for a 12 flat 1/4 mile?

As I stated on another thread, I may scrap the idea of making my Z faster, in favor of adding a lift kit, 14" cims and monster truck tires. I may also add a second and third engine for future tractor pull competition.

p.s. don't yank our chain with that pic. THat's an old fashioned hair dryer, not a turbo. You didn't fool me. :>
Old 04-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Importlife.com

Thats my exact point. There is no science to being quicker. More HP = faster car. Thats as detailed its going to get. But its all trial and error.

You can have 900whp and do 10 seconds and another z with only 500whp and nitrous might equal or best you.

So the way i now think about building my car is the way in which customers buy cars.... 0-60, 1/4 and trap speed, braking, slalom, top speed. I dont care how many hp i end up with. the less hp i can use to reach my goals, the more efficient the car will be and the more efficient each pound of torque and horsepower ends up being.

no more how many HPs do you have compared to my hp. Thats how you end up living at the shop or ultimately lose a lot of money selling the car and buying the next one.

Last edited by Importlife.com; 04-11-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:20 AM
99AllTurbo

Originally posted by Importlife.com

I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Importlife.com

Someone on this board in my area is already spraying and thinks he may be able to get 12s. We shall see after the may 3rd NHRA spring nationals.

If he can prove with just nitrous he can gets into 12, then its not hard to believe with drag radials and other bolt ons you can get into 11s.

But you are right, i have no proof. so i'll keep everyone updated.

Originally posted by 99AllTurbo
I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited by Importlife.com; 04-11-2003 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:01 PM
phile

actually there is alot of science to making a car faster Engineering is a science. You said it yourself, a 900 rwhp car might have the same 1/4mile as a 500 rwhp with nitrous. IT's all about the transfer of power...physics/engineering
Old 04-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Ricky
Banned

As someone once asked me...

Friend: What's the the same between a 700hp supra and a 500hp supra?

Me: I don't know, what?

Friend: Same quater mile time.

It's all about transfer of the power. For example Superchargers Vs. Turbos... or some could even argue front engine vs mid engine (same hp of course). I wouldn't be suprised if a car with less hp and spraying could make the same times as a higher hp'd car.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:02 PM
phile

Originally posted by Ricky
As someone once asked me...

Friend: What's the the same between a 700hp supra and a 500hp supra?

Me: I don't know, what?

Friend: Same quater mile time.

It's all about transfer of the power. For example Superchargers Vs. Turbos... or some could even argue front engine vs mid engine (same hp of course). I wouldn't be suprised if a car with less hp and spraying could make the same times as a higher hp'd car.
btw is your carbon interior that stick on stuff? I wish they made a replacement interior =/
Old 04-12-2003, 12:30 AM
Finality

How much power does the RB26 engine have before the turbos have time to spool up?

I'm assuming it spools at ~3000 rpm? Is it a torqueless wonder that relies on the Turbos to push it into insanity or does it actually have low end torque to back it up?

I would be interested on seeing some dyno graphs for a RB26DETT all the way from 800 to redline
Old 04-13-2003, 12:11 AM
poweraddict

Originally posted by Finality
How much power does the RB26 engine have before the turbos have time to spool up?

I'm assuming it spools at ~3000 rpm? Is it a torqueless wonder that relies on the Turbos to push it into insanity or does it actually have low end torque to back it up?

I would be interested on seeing some dyno graphs for a RB26DETT all the way from 800 to redline
It doesn't matter, I'll never experience that lag. 2 Step Rev Limiter and line lock. I'll launch under boost, then take it to redline every shift, when the RPM's drop going to the next gear, they drop within boost range again. So during actual race time, there isn't really turbo lag. Just normal driving in traffic you will feel lag, but it doesn't matter then. If you don't want lag just downshift and go.

Lag is completely overrated, its easy to drive around.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:40 AM
Finality

Race situations are quite different. While I am not too worried about straight line performance I was referring to problems if your trying to keep under boost range and you cross the line by mistake and suddenly you get kicked with 650+ rwhp.

I'm toying with the idea of dropping this engine in but am very worried about the boost range and ****ing up especially during a turn.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:50 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question...

Why are you wanting to run an AEM ECU? It's already known this is an OLD system that was around 2+ years ago badged under a different company. AEM picked it up, tweeked it... and slapped their label on it.

EVERY Supra guy/gal I've know that tried it... hated it.

Either went back or switched over to Motec...
Old 04-13-2003, 04:09 PM
ZeeForMee

How are you guys doing an exhaust and all since all the RB parts won't fit the Z? Custom?
Old 04-15-2003, 12:34 AM
poweraddict

yes most all parts will be custom. but it will be available(the parts) to everyone once we sort everything thing out. we will keep everyone updated as things progress.

thank you

taz / drifterxx2003@yahoo.com

BATLGROUND ENGINEERING
Old 06-07-2003, 01:20 PM
toykilla

**bump** i am getting wet waiting for the outcome here guys

Quick Reply: First 350Z RB26DETT in the World.