Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The boy who yelled RICE

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 06:45 PM
TonyZXT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok first I think that if cosmetic enhancements are ALL BAD, then why don't the car companies just fire all the designer types, and just build us high quality, high performance FUGLY cars? Uh,... because looks matter. If making your car look faster than it is, comes first on someone's priority list then they probably have a ricey car. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't try to make their car look better. There is a place for appearance mods, just use taste and you SHOULDN'T have to worry about being labeled rice. Unfortunately it seems like no matter how much taste you have, someone will still be a little lemming and cry rice.

Other than that Steve, it seems like we think the same on the issue (judging by the first line of your last post.) Which begs the question; what's with the "if it looks like a duck" stuff? (refer back to my swan/duck analogy) The funny thing is I never get in a hissy when people call rice rice, I just get tired of it when they call something that is classy/tastefull "rice" just because it is not PURELY functional.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:05 PM
raceboy
Banned

I never said all appearance mods are "rice." They CAN be done tastefully. It's just so rarely that they are. That is why I look in the appearance section of this forum. I actually think skidazzle's body kit looks really nice. It's not gaudy or over the top (although I am not 100% sold on the wing).

I know I can come off like an *** sometimes and I apologize for that, but everytime I see a non funtional CF part, I am still gonna laugh. Just can't help it. Why did the scorpion sting the turtle that was taking him across the river causing them both to drown? Because it was in his nature.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:08 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That BASTARD scorpion!!

I feel that if someone modifies their car for performance, but actually decreases the performance, then it's rice. It can be a fine line when talking about spoilers, body kits, etc, beacause one can argue that they are cosmetic enhancement not meant to increase performance, but too bad. It's my definition dammit! This definition will apply to any make of vehicle, no matter the country of origin, so you can have riced out Saturns, Pinto's, and Tempo's.

Most of all I think the term is pretty funny, and really when you talk about a car you are talking about very subjective matters, which is why I feel people are free to use the work rice in pretty much any way they want. Eventually the meaning will change and some other word will come around that means "over-modification-with-little-enhancement-in-any-area" but for now we can all enjoy RICE!

But what the hell do I know, my car is still stock.

-D'oh!

Last edited by D'oh; 04-09-2003 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:55 AM
ScottC

Default More Laughs

We will never agree, so here is some comedy:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....highlight=RICE

my stock is just as fast as your ricer...
Old 04-10-2003, 04:21 AM
syf0n

Yeah well, I didn't read most of this, but here's my two cents:

I will call anything rice I damned well please. The reason things like a carbonfibre engine cover are rice is because they looks good but don't do a damn thing! It's alll riiice, baaabby. A lamborghini looks like it does because it hauls *****. I civic looks like it does because...well, it doesn't. It's an econowagen. Not even a Z can hold to a Murcielago, which is the car you mentioned and you original post. Unless the car is amazingly fast, it doesn't need to look extremely fast. Any car that does and can't push is rice.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:34 AM
raceboy
Banned

Somehow I don't think the original poster of this thread is getting the response he expected!
Old 04-10-2003, 09:33 AM
TonyZXT

Originally posted by raceboy
Somehow I don't think the original poster of this thread is getting the response he expected!
The origional poster of this thread knows that there are PLENTY of people that feel exactly the way he does. We are tired of the few certain people who hijack erery single thread in the aprearance section. It's like they just can't help themselves, they don't even stop to think about the whole picture.

Let me be an example to you. My last project car (an 83 280zxt) I planned on having a customized bodykit, carbon hood (painted) a GTR style wing, and an R33 tailight conversion, and shaved door handles. Now I SHOULD end this post right now so you people can all call me a ricer and vent your superiority complex problems, and so you can look really really stupid.

The fact is, none of the aperance mods would have been touched until after my engine was built: (I have most of the following already)

Bottom end (all cryo treated)
L28et (f54 block) w/ 2mm overbore
Forged weisco pistons (custom spec for CR and to handle nitrous)
L24 rods (lightened and shotpeened)
L24 crankshaft knife-edged
ARP fasteners (all of them)
HKS metal head gasket
Rotating assembly ballanced to within 1/2g

Top end
P90 head
Adjustable cam gears
Turbo spec cam
New valve train
3-angle valve grind
Full port job

Bolt ons
T3/T4 Turbo (wastegate modded)
HKS BOV
Custom stainless DP
Custom alluminium intake manifold
75mm TB
Stock flywheel lightened by 9.5lbs
Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
etc etc.

Now I'd bet money that not one of the people in this thread has even built one engine. I'll bet noone has even done internal engine mods to a car. That set up I just half described should be good for about 550hp or better at the crank, so it would have more than enough ***** to back up the appearance mods on the car. Most people on this forum shy away at the mere mention of doing anything internally. Me, I grew up around hot-rodders, people who's first action with a car is to yank the motor and tear it down. I am far from a ricer boys, so maybe you should think before you start spouting rice, you have no idea what someone is going to do to their car after all the FI kits come out. I'd hate to see one of these guys who's mods you call rice put a few car lingths on you at the track (wait no I wouldn't, I would pay to see that) Anyway my move forced me to get rid of the body of the car, so I'll build the engine and put it in a 240z instead, it will have very few apearance mods besides wheels, and at a whopping 2400lbs it should be a real pig . At that point I'll put out a little invite to the couple of people that have called me a ricer on this forum (that obviously didn't have the slightest clue what they were talking about) to come see what there car can do against mine. Maybe I should line up in reverse to make it fair
Old 04-10-2003, 09:45 AM
ScottC

What does building your engine have to do with Ricers?

Why are you so defensive? The car in your picture doesnt look rice (to me)? I dont get your rant here? Although if you would have done all those things: the wing, shaved handles, etc. your car would have looked pretty damn riced out. I'm glad you didnt do those things man, thats like putting a fine jewel (the engine) in a shoe box (the riced out car).

Ps- the hot rods are still around, you didnt have to change. My fathers 1971 Trans Am will do the 1/4 mile in less than 10 and it doesnt have shaved door handles and wings.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:59 AM
raceboy
Banned

So how much money did you want to bet on that engine building thing? I have built a few in my days. How about 2 or 3 shifter kart motors a month? Does that count?

The question is not how much HP you have, but can you drive it? I can't even understand why people buy cars like the Z06 for example if they can't drive them. Even a mediocre driver should be able to outrun the Z on a racetrack in a Z06, yet so many of them can't? Why did they spend the extra $$$ on the Z06? Why do they get a car with a harsher ride? What is the point!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Everyone always talks about hi jacking of threads, how about the entire board? These boards nearly all start out with the true enthusiasts and purists. They are the ones that know about the cars so far in advance. Inevitably the come lately's show up. It's not just in the appearance section, but bling bling wheels, tires that are way too big just for appearance, HP mods that are way over their ability to use them, suspensions that they will never use for their intended purposes, but that kill the ride and put the ride height down to an insufferable level, exhausts that are obnoxious, $5000 brakes that are just for looks, you get the idea.

But on that note, this is my last post on any gaudy appearance issues. In the interest of domestic harmony, I promise to keep all further comments to myself. Cool?
Old 04-10-2003, 03:11 PM
yoonietang

Originally posted by syf0n
Yeah well, I didn't read most of this, but here's my two cents:

I will call anything rice I damned well please. The reason things like a carbonfibre engine cover are rice is because they looks good but don't do a damn thing! It's alll riiice, baaabby. A lamborghini looks like it does because it hauls *****. I civic looks like it does because...well, it doesn't. It's an econowagen. Not even a Z can hold to a Murcielago, which is the car you mentioned and you original post. Unless the car is amazingly fast, it doesn't need to look extremely fast. Any car that does and can't push is rice.
This where you should have just shut up "Yeah, well, I didn't read most of this..." A murcielago looks the way it does so the owner can say, look at the size of my *****. It doesn't have manually extendable engine cooling vents for any reason other than showing off. Really, all you're saying is you can show off if your car is fast. What if I think your Z is slow. Make it uglier. You're riding in a 2 seat altima-engine powered "bargain" sports car. Maybe it should look like an econowagon... All you write is, "this is the way things need to be because I say so, even though I'm too lazy to understand the discussion."

Besides, this is pretty much what I expected the discussion to be like.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:57 PM
icepig

I have to question why anyone would call a carbon fiber hood "aesthetic". It is, in my opinion, the ugliest modification I have seen done to a car. I just saw one yesterday, on a white Prelude, and almost felt sorry for the guy driving it. My first thought when I see those is always, "He received some hail damage and found a hood at the junkyard in a different colour", much like people replace doors/panels on old cars whose looks they don't care much about."
Old 04-10-2003, 04:19 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by yoonietang
A murcielago looks the way it does so the owner can say, look at the size of my *****. It doesn't have manually extendable engine cooling vents for any reason other than showing off.
The cooling vents extend at slow speed to let more air through and keep the 12 cylinder beast from overheating. They retract at higher speed to cut drag. Totally funtional.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:46 PM
syf0n

Originally posted by yoonietang
angry stuff
dude, you started a dumb thread and you're getting slammed by everyone in the forum for it. I think you jusr need to accept your own stupidity and stop responding to every post here like you're on some holy crusade. The vast majority of the people here think you are a giant troll every time you open your mouth about carbon-fibre parts not being rice.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:16 PM
TonyZXT

Originally posted by ScottC
What does building your engine have to do with Ricers?

Why are you so defensive? The car in your picture doesnt look rice (to me)? I dont get your rant here? Although if you would have done all those things: the wing, shaved handles, etc. your car would have looked pretty damn riced out. I'm glad you didnt do those things man, thats like putting a fine jewel (the engine) in a shoe box (the riced out car).

Ps- the hot rods are still around, you didnt have to change. My fathers 1971 Trans Am will do the 1/4 mile in less than 10 and it doesnt have shaved door handles and wings.
If you actually READ my post you would have gotten that I explained that whole thing because people are accusing people of being ricers without knowing what they are talking about. Detailing the extensive engine build up that I will complete one of these years goes to prove that I am far from some little kid that wants to put a bunch of tacky $#!+ on his car, and that I am actually a performance junkie.

I don't need to defend my plans to you, but I will humor you because you just seem to jump to conclusions without thinking fisrt. Skyline taillights, a played out mod right? Well they actually look like they belong on the back of a 280zx. I've seen a few with them and they look damn good IF done right. The door handles on the S130s look like ***, they stick out from the car, and the finish on them always looks like crap (way too 80's) so I would shave them or replace them with more modern flush ones. The kit I intended on looks very good on the Z just a little bit outdated, which I planned on fixing with a couple updates. As far as the wing goes, not too many wings look good on the back of the 280zx, but I found on that looks perfect, not too big or flashy. This car needed to shed some of the tacky 80's touches that made it look a bit to old school. That Z would have dropped jaws guaranteed. So you see, I goaded you into talking about something you knew nothing about, I even went as far as to tell you I was doing it, and you still fell for it. People are so damn quick to jump to conclusions about others and their mods it's silly. As far as the hot rod thing, I never changed, I would own quite a few different muscle cars in a heart beat.

Syfon, dude you have no idea how wrong you are. This "dumb thread" and a few other recent ones on the same subject have had quite a few people that are tired of the crap. The difference between them and you is there are lots of people on this board that think getting through the thick skulls of the stuborn anti-ricers on this forum is a lost cause. Don't you think that the fact that it is other people that don't like rice, arguing with you might just mean that you are taking this too far. I have recieved several emails from guys telling me that they feel the exact same way. Your "Yeah well, I didn't read most of this, but....." comment shows the pig headed ignorance I'm talking about. You're scared that if you actually read both sides of the story that you might actally read a view other than your own that actually makes some damn good points.

Anyway people I'm done, you can't discount the points I have already made, so even though the BS will continue, it's obvious that I have a good point.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:09 AM
yoonietang

Originally posted by raceboy
The cooling vents extend at slow speed to let more air through and keep the 12 cylinder beast from overheating. They retract at higher speed to cut drag. Totally funtional.
While this is true, it is a cooling feature, there is a button to open it, just for kicks. It's like a look-at-me button, so you can activate them at low speeds when they would not automatically open, or be functional.

run on sentences telling me i'm stupid.
syphon

Hey, you're right. I should just go with the flow, like you do. Civics are rice? **** YEAH! I never want white rims like a civic could possibly have. Or maybe even carbon fiber, like those eclipses. In fact, only Nissan, Porsche, and Ferrari do things that are right. Besides, you're the only one stupid enough to insult my intelligence for expressing my opinion. If this thread is so stupid, stay the **** out. Why are you reading my troll posts?
Old 04-11-2003, 03:25 AM
ScottC

You ricers dont even make sense when you type, let alone when you drive a stupid looking car around. I mean, I cant even read your posts! I have to re-read them 2-3 times. Find a translator.

Like I stated, we will never agree, so why try to "humor" me with an explaination that "you like it...I like this and that..." WE NON-RICERS DONT LIKE IT. Thats all there is to it. Wings, shaved door handles, stickers all over, wings, body kits, carbon fiber bullsh!t, neon, excessive exahaust, fugly wheels, lowering kits, replacing emblems, etc., etc. look like crap and there are alot of people out there that agree. When you drive these piles of crap around you are only impressing 0.05% of the population and they are just like you - cheese *****.

Final note- I think this thread is hilarious! Thanks Poonyannitang you made me laugh.

another comedy break; look at all these ricers-
http://www.bigboosting.com/sbn.htm

Last edited by ScottC; 04-11-2003 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:37 AM
yoonietang

Originally posted by ScottC
You ricers dont even make sense when you type, let alone when you drive a stupid looking car around. I mean, I cant even read your posts! I have to re-read them 2-3 times. Find a translator.

Like I stated, we will never agree, so why try to "humor" me with an explaination that "you like it...I like this and that..." WE NON-RICERS DONT LIKE IT. Thats all there is to it. Wings, shaved door handles, stickers all over, wings, body kits, carbon fiber bullsh!t, neon, excessive exahaust, fugly wheels, lowering kits, replacing emblems, etc., etc. look like crap and there are alot of people out there that agree. When you drive these piles of crap around you are only impressing 0.05% of the population and they are just like you - cheese *****.

Final note- I think this thread is hilarious! Thanks Poonyannitang you made me laugh.
Step one, learn English. Step two, stop trying to make yourself sound all superior. Step three, look up elitist. Step four, reread the whole thread. It's like the thread made a left and you made a right somewhere.

Why do you have to stoop to personal insults anyway? Truth is, I don't own a car. When I see stickers, excessive exhausts and such, I don't like it either. But what says your taste is better than anyone elses? All you're saying is, I'm better than you, because I don't like your stuff. Do you really have anything of any substance to say, or do you just like reading what you type?
Old 04-11-2003, 05:54 AM
Inova

i think that for most ppl, a car is just that - a car. they dont really care for it like the car enthusiasts here do. that is why there are so many anti ricers on this board. the fact is that it sort of "violates" the practicality of the vehicle. there are countless times i have seen honda accord sedans or cars of that kind with altezzas or huge exhaust or wings with absolutely no function. granted, there are plenty of vehicles in import car shows that are incredible, someone like myself could never spend that much time, money or patience to modify and show. of course, most of these guys go for show instead of performance, and that is understandable because the car wasnt designed for speed in the first place. but it sort looks immature/childish when you see econo cars all over the place with useless mods, that dont even make the car look any better than it did when it was bought. in fact, most of the time the kits are thrown on sloppily, and the mods are falling from the car, or something is not done to look like it was quality. obviously, taste is a subjective issue, but you cant deny that there are too many ppl out there that throw on ugly parts where the cons outwiegh the pros. anyway, thats how i feel about the issue. there are some ppl that do tasteful and practical mods and are real about mods, but the majority, probably 80%, dont have a clue about performance or anythign related.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:27 AM
syf0n

Yeah, dude. you're right. that's why you have defend yourself after every post by someone else in the forum. keep dreamin', dude!