Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The boy who yelled RICE

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 12:43 AM
yoonietang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The boy who yelled RICE

I would have mentioned this in the relevant threads, but there are too many, plus it would have been thread-jacking so here goes-

Please, please, think carefully before you decide to label something rice. Rice is not something you wouldn't do to your car. Rice is not something that could POSSIBLY apply to a civic. Rice is not a teenager driving a car. Rice is NOT a cosmetic upgrade.

I'm sick of seeing people instantly labeling things as rice. If it's JDM, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or any number of "holy" marques, then people seem to act as if their every design is infallible. Isn't the murcielago absurdly ostentatious, and designed to be so? I love it.

Meanwhile, a carbon fiber engine cover is labeled rice. Why? Because it's aesthetic. Please guys, next time you decide to call an aesthetic upgrade rice, think about why you bought the Z in the first place.

"All the civics have white rims. That's rice." Civics also have 100+hp/L specific output. That's rice too dammit. 3.2L engine putting out 333 horspower? M3s are rice. Porsches have good reliablity, like Hondas? That's rice too. Like the practicality of your 745? That ricemobile doesn't even deserve it's luggage space. TVRs with color shift paint jobs aren't rice, but any other car with one is. Any car which values looks over performance is rice.

All I ask is, think for yourselves, please. And if you must call things rice for whatever reason, just pause a minute to think about why you call things rice in the first place.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:09 AM
Zmoney

this post is rice.........j/k
Old 04-09-2003, 03:20 AM
ScottC

Default your car must be a ricer?

If you have to defend it from being called rice - then its rice.

Last edited by ScottC; 04-09-2003 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:01 AM
zeroday

OK I thought about it....yep, these are definitely rice.

Old 04-09-2003, 04:11 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default not rice

The Pikachu car is not rice because it is an aesthetic choice.

Didn;t you read the initial post!?!?!?

Old 04-09-2003, 04:17 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Rice is like ****. You know it when you see it.

Seriously, this has been discussed many times in off topic (where it belongs). The term isn't going away any faster than the term red neck is.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:31 AM
zeroday

Default Re: not rice

Originally posted by AndyB
The Pikachu car is not rice because it is an aesthetic choice.

Didn;t you read the initial post!?!?!?

hehe sorry i don't know what I was thinking.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:36 AM
ScottC

I saw a huge wing on the back of a new VW Bug the other day! I wish I had a camera...I was almost embarrased for the guy. Yes I said guy! A guy with a VW Bug and a wing...I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Please, I beg you modifiers to think about what you are molding onto your Z. I promise you will look back at pictures someday, and shake your head in disbelief.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:44 AM
ScottC

Red face Hahahaha

Hahahaha

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=18416
Old 04-09-2003, 06:25 AM
ProjectGoose

hahah, thanks Scott. I lolled.

I was thinking of the exact same thread! party hardy.

I officially move that we form a committee that will have some serious discussions on what IS/IS NOT "rice." We can all call the most blantant "ricers" without hesitation, but the many shades of grey need to be hashed out, for the good of all serious tuners. We need to define the middle ground. I suggest compiling driving enthusiasts from all demographics, as to get as many valid prospectives as possible. If anyone wants to volunteer to play devil's advocate and defend the "rice" side (what there is to defend), I think that would be good too. Any seconds to my nomination?
Old 04-09-2003, 01:35 PM
yoonietang

Some things I understand. As in, unpainted body kids, shoddy work, wings higher than the car etc. etc., but every post I look at someone's calling something rice, just beause they don't like it.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:13 PM
wildone_106

Thumbs down

I call it rice when its an oh so obvious attempt to draw attention to themselves to make up for a small "member" and the fact they could'nt afford a real fast car to start with
Old 04-09-2003, 02:27 PM
pierceman

wildone, should i make fun of you when I pull up next to you in a porche boxster and you beat me even though your car was less $$$, does that make sence?
I do know what you are getting at though
Matt
Old 04-09-2003, 02:45 PM
trash259

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally posted by zeroday
OK I thought about it....yep, these are definitely rice.

I would call them "RETARDS" not "RICERS". To me the word "RICER" is reserved for people who use the term "RICE" to describe other pplz cars.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:59 PM
TonyZXT

I think the three words that SOME PEOPLE aound here need to take away from yoonietang's post are "think for yourselves" Some of these people who just pop into every modification thread and yell rice, remind me of an 8 year old that tells a joke and makes a room full of adults laugh. The poor 8-yr old is going to re-tell that joke 150 times that night reguardless of the fact that the whole room stopped laughing after the second time. Just because you heard someone else calling stuff rice doesn't mean you should jump on the anit-ricer bandwagon, so you can be accepted into their little anti-ricer club. You know,... the guys with superior taste, that have self appointed themselves as the car-world's version of the fashion police. Keep in mind that those afformentioned fashion dorks pronounce their cute little titles with a limp wrist and bad lisp! It's pretty sad that those of us who like to mod our cars, but don't like ricey crap, have to differentiate ourselves from a whole group of other people who don't like rice, because they insist on using the label for damn near every mod in the world!

Calling someone's car rice because of one asthetic mod (something at least semi-tasteful) makes about as much sence as saying someone is a redneck, just because you saw them cutting through the hunting section at Wal-Mart. If you're one of the people who are guilty of that, then grow up, and use your noodle.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:32 PM
raceboy
Banned

If it walks like a duck, smells like a duck, and acts like a duck; IT'S A DUCK!!! Don't get yourself all in a hissy when people call you on it. You are free to like what you like, hell people will buy anything. What do you think everytime you see someone driving a Pontiac Aztek on the street? I just think how could someone like that and then laugh to myself, but they liked it enough to commit to 5 years of payments on the damn thing. There's a sucker born every minute. I guess you'll never go poor catering to bad taste.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:45 PM
WoW.

you guys should define rice and not jus label it so freely. A lot and i mean a lot of ppl say rice, because they're not asian and they drive domestics, so they call anything that is an import rice. I was talking to this one guy with a zo6 he called me a ricer just cuz i swaped out my stock engine in my 240. My car looks stock for crying out loud. SO if i left it stock and just drove it around i would be considered rice? What the hell is that. The main thing with rice people use it too much and it is starting to mean different things. It's better to jus say that car looks like ****. I hate when ppl try to also say oh BMW's and Ford's and stuff can be rice too. How is that so? so basically a mustang put asian stuff on his car??? rice = food that we eat, not what cars look like. When using rice especially if u're asian u're just making fun of yourself because rice was most definetly created by some white boy in his mustang that kept getting burned by a fixed up civic. haha that last comment was just for fun and a joke. The rest of my post is how i feel about ppl using the word rice.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:08 PM
TonyZXT

Originally posted by raceboy
If it walks like a duck, smells like a duck, and acts like a duck; IT'S A DUCK!!! Don't get yourself all in a hissy when people call you on it. You are free to like what you like, hell people will buy anything. What do you think everytime you see someone driving a Pontiac Aztek on the street? I just think how could someone like that and then laugh to myself, but they liked it enough to commit to 5 years of payments on the damn thing. There's a sucker born every minute. I guess you'll never go poor catering to bad taste.
If it looks like a swan, and smells like a swan, and acts like a swan, but someone comes along and insists it's a damn duck, then it's probably a snobby purist talking. When people will call the most classy, minimalist mods "RICE" (like a Balsarini spoiler for an excellent example) then it has nothing to do with bad taste, and everything to do with people who are arogant and pompass enough to think that everything that does not meet their ideas of good taste needs to have a derogatory label added to it. (how's that for a run-on sentence?) People with goofy *** mods like the ones on that yellow Z that was posted like 2 weeks ago (not the Axis car, the other one) DESERVE to have their cars called rice. But by the same token, if people are doing classy, tasteful mods to their Z, and still being called rice by every little copy-cat, unorigional, follower around, then what is the point of the term rice in the first place? Steve, I've never had a problem with you, and noone here is "having a hissy", but you seem to be ignoring the context of the whole arguement. The point is rice sucks, but not everything is rice.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:12 PM
yoonietang

Originally posted by TonyZXT
I think the three words that SOME PEOPLE aound here need to take away from yoonietang's post are "think for yourselves"
Thanks. Someone gets it. Also, if I hear anyone make the stickers=horsepower joke again, I'm gonna puke.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:18 PM
raceboy
Banned

Notice one thing though, I can't remember the last time I actually called something "rice." "Rice" is kind of a stupid term. I think the term really dates back to the Harley guys calling Japanese bikes rice rockets. Harley Davidson wasn't laughing any more when Honda nearly put them out of business and it took a bailout by the U.S. Government to save them. I just look at things and think; "good taste" or "bad taste."

No one could call a motor swap for improved performance bad taste; but (and back to the original point of the post) a carbon fibre engine cover? Come on!! The engine cover itself has absolutely no purpose but to be a cosmetic coverup for something you hardly ever see. Then someone documents how to make the part very inexpensively (and I freely admit I have no idea if his methods would really work) and he get's torn up because it's not up the the same standards as Mclaren would use on their F1 cars???? If you really think you need a CF engine cover made to those standards, I really don't know what to say to you. You have fallen to the marketers brainwashing.

Quick Reply: The boy who yelled RICE